Song Lyric Sunday — What, Me Worry?

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday, I’m honored that Jim Adams took my suggestion for a theme using the words Concern, Fear, Fret, Worry. There’s a lot to be concerned about, to fret about, and to fear these day, but I don’t want you to worry ‘bout a thing.

“Don’t You Worry ‘bout a Thing” was a single by Stevie Wonder from his 1973 album Innervisions. It reached number 16 on the Billboard Pop Singles chart, number 10 on the Cash Box chart, and number 2 on the R&B chart.

In this song, Stevie Wonder encourages his lady to be fearless in exploring all life has to offer because he’ll always be by her side. Although he claims to speak fluent Spanish in the intro, saying “Todo está bien chévere” (“Everything’s really great” or “Everything’s cool”), Wonder didn’t really know the language.

The Spanish lyric was inspired by a Puerto Rican woman that Wonder met in a record store. He said that he remember the night he was going to do this song and he just so happened to meet this girl named Rain. And she was beautiful. She worked at this record shop. Wonder said, “And I’m like saying to her, hey, you know, it’s amazing. You know, she sings. You know, she’s Puerto Rican. I say, yeah, OK, well, you know, I’m doing a little thing and like a little something called ‘Don’t You Worry ‘Bout A Thing.’ What can I – I mean, give me something, something. I’ll let you come to the studio if you have anything to say. I’ll say some things, and it will be a wonderful day. And she said, ‘todo esta bien chevere.’ And that’s how I got that in a song. And, you know, we fell in love, and it was a beautiful thing.”

The night before Donald Trump was elected President in 2016, Wonder appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and expressed his disdain for Trump. Colbert asked the singer to perform this tune to allay the fears of liberal voters. Unfortunately, Trump won that election and the worst of the liberal fears were realized.

Here are the lyrics to “Don’t You Worry ‘bout a Thing.”

Eee eee!
Watch this y’all
Comprende señora

See here mama, uh, you understand that? (No)
Well, uh, like, huh, I understand how you can’t
I been to you know Paris, Beirut, you know, I mean
Iraq, Iran, Eurasia, you know
I speak very, very, um, fluent Spanish
Todo ‘stá bien chévere’, you understand that?
Chévere, bien chévere
It’s alright mama, ’cause I got my shakers moving…

Everybody’s got a thing
But some don’t know how to handle it
Always reachin’ out in vain
Just taking the things not worth having but

Don’t you worry ’bout a thing, mama
‘Cause I’ll be standing on the side
When you check it out

They say your style of life’s a drag
And that you must go other places
But just don’t you feel too bad
When you get fooled by smiling faces but

Don’t you worry ’bout a thing, mama
‘Cause I’ll be standing on the side
When you check it out

When you get it off your trip

Bam bambam bambam bambam
Bambambambam bambambambam
Bam bambam bambam bambam
Bambambambam bambambambam

Don’t you worry ’bout a thing, mama
‘Cause I’ll be standing on the side
When you check it out

When you get it off your trip
Everybody needs a change
A chance to check out the new
But you’re the only one to see
The changes you take yourself through but

Don’t you worry ’bout a thing
Don’t you worry ’bout a thing, pretty mama
‘Cause I’ll be standing in the wings
When you check it out
Yeah
Bam bambam bambam bambam
Bambambambam bambambambam
Don’t you worry ’bout a thing, sugar
Don’t you worry ’bout a thing, mama
Don’t you worry ’bout a thing
Don’t worry, don’t worry, don’t worry
Don’t you worry ’bout a thing, sugar
Don’t you worry ’bout a thing

31 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — What, Me Worry?

1. newepicauthor January 9, 2022 / 7:07 am

Stevie Wonder is without doubt one of the world’s greatest and most loved pop icons. Great choice Fandango.

2. Marleen January 9, 2022 / 11:14 am

That’s a fantastic song, and he sang it in a suburb delivery.

I’m going to take this opportunity to go with the spirit of the prompt.

• Marleen January 9, 2022 / 11:15 am

Big Tech BOMBSHELL: You Won’t BELIEVE This!!

• Marleen January 9, 2022 / 12:23 pm

RT is a questionable source for news in terms of taking them at their word (referenced in the above presentation while R Brand is not part of RT), but I think everything in this particular presentation is correct. I was going to college when the Internet was in the process of being put together; it was much discussed and touted (for the future) by the graduate adviser of my husband.

I want to clarify this portion, however: Of the five federal agencies that have spent most on the services of major tech companies over the past two decades, four were central to, or established as a result of, the War on Terror — the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, Justice, and State.”

Only one of them was “established” because of 9/11 and the subsequent boondoggle on terror: Homeland Security. The other three would only be “central to” it.

• Marleen January 9, 2022 / 12:27 pm

This last portion, in what I wrote just before, should not have been in the italicized part:

Only one of them [those departments] was “established” because of 9/11 and the subsequent boondoggle on terror: Homeland Security. The other three would only be “central to” it.

• Marleen January 9, 2022 / 1:53 pm

Muse – [Fucking] Psycho

Jesus Christ; you should hear what they teach our kids to say when they’re marching in formation or standing at attention.

• Marleen January 11, 2022 / 3:52 pm

What’s behind our soaring military budget, with journalist Andrew Cockburn and Marianne Williamson

• Marleen January 9, 2022 / 11:21 am

Muse – Knights Of Cydonia

• Marleen January 9, 2022 / 2:24 pm

Sorry for including the word “Algorithm” up there; that’s a different song by them. The video I included was of “The Handler” — obviously.

Muse – Exogenesis Symphony (Full with Lyrics)

• Marleen January 9, 2022 / 11:29 am

And, now, back to my regularly-scheduled programming:

• Marleen January 11, 2022 / 6:29 pm

Yes, I’ve seen them live in concert.

Muse – Map Of The Problematique [Live From Wembley Stadium]

3. leigha66 January 9, 2022 / 9:08 pm

I have always liked this one… nice to know a little more about it. Well done Fandango!

4. CARAMEL January 12, 2022 / 12:38 am

We were listening to this song lot while I was with my family last month. My little niece loved dancing to it. We played her the version from the animated film “Sing”, with Meena the elephant:

• CARAMEL January 12, 2022 / 9:26 am

These animated flicks are great to cheer us up when we have been under the weather.

I love that scene. I think perhaps even better is when Rosita the lovely Mrs Piggy sings “Shake It Off”….my oh my!

• Fandango January 12, 2022 / 10:38 am

Your song fit the theme words quite well.

5. aisasami January 16, 2022 / 8:48 am

Wonderful choice! Nothing can go wrong with Stevie!