The Headlines of the Day

I was reading the morning paper this morning and came across these three ominous headlines

Water-Use Limits Now Mandatory

The article warned that violations of the new state regulations could result in fines of up to $500 a day!

Holiday Infections Shatter Records

But the “good” news is that hospitalizations and death are far below last year’s highs.

Fewer Than Half of Republicans Say January 6th Was Very Violent

The above headline is the most disturbing of the three. According to the Associated Press, the fighting at the Capitol Building was so primitive and ferocious that one Capitol Police officer described it as “medieval” and another as a “trip to hell.” It left more than 100 law enforcement personnel injured, some beaten with their own weapons.

Video cameras captured the violence live, with rioters clubbing officers with flag polls and fire extinguishers, even squeezing one officer between doors as he begged for his life.

Yet nearly a year after the siege only about 4 in 10 Republicans recall the attack by supporters of the former president as very violent or extremely violent, according to a new poll from the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. About 3 in 10 Republicans say the attack was not violent, and about another 3 in 10 say it was only somewhat violent.

Seriously? How could anyone have watched the siege that day or seen the video clips and come away saying that what happened was only somewhat violent or not violent at all? Are these Republicans so blinded by Trump’s Big Lie that they can’t see that they’re complicit in a plot to destroy democracy in America? When did the paradigm shift so far away from facts and truth that we can’t even agree to the verity of what we see with our own eyes?

This post includes E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (paradigm) and Your Daily Word Prompt (verity).

27 thoughts on “The Headlines of the Day

1. Carol anne January 5, 2022 / 3:23 pm

wow! These republicans need their heads and eyes tested! Not violent, are they really that stupid? xo

2. J.E.M. Wildfire January 5, 2022 / 3:24 pm

Republicans’ refusal to accept the truth of what they can see with their own eyes is simply disgusting.

3. emkingston January 5, 2022 / 3:33 pm

Before the Trump administration, I had always voted Republican, and this is shameful that these people have a voice in our democracy. The violence that day reminded me of some third-world country with no government. It was atrocious 😦 Obama was the first time I voted Democrat, and goodness do I miss his administration.

• Marleen January 5, 2022 / 3:58 pm

Good for you, a breath of fresh air to me. It broke my already broken heart how Republicans talked about Obama. He was clearly basically conservative [in terms of what’s available in this country]. (I liked him and pointed out to my children the false taking points.) Yet I didnt vote for him, in 2008, because I was hoping to turn back the tide of surveillance and so forth — which doesn’t mean I voted Republican (except for a couple people who had stood against the Patriot Act and more); that hope was a lost cause in the long run (so far).

• emkingston January 5, 2022 / 7:01 pm

I am so thankful for your comment, Marleen. It took a lot of going against the grain of my family to make my own political choices. The light of the world got a little darker when Obama and Michelle left on AF1. I bawled like a baby. I didn’t agree with everything they did, but that’s normal right? When Trump and Melania took over the white house, I cried even more. I remember Trump with his racism during the OJ Trial. I knew that the world would fall apart as we knew it.

• Marleen January 6, 2022 / 11:37 am

I’m wondering, today, what it means that Dick Cheney was the chief of staff for Ford, the defense secretary for George HW Bush (the senior) and Vice President (effectively President) for George W Bush (the junior); he, partly visiting with his currently-serving daughter, was the only Republican on the floor commemorating the events of a year ago today. In my opinion, there’s too much coziness in the heart for him for his not being completely insane. Really, rather than showing the two of them (and many other operatives behind the scenes of the Republicans) as good guys, this shows that the party is trash.

• emkingston January 6, 2022 / 11:47 am

I couldn’t agree more, Marlene. I have a few of the congressmen and women that make me look sideways at them. I feel like they are all just big bullies anymore. My dad was a Republican, and my mother a so-called Democrat (I say so-called because she is a Trump lover now). I had always loved Ronald Reagan, and I feel like things went downhill at the end of Daddy Bush, and then Little Bush was an airhead. I was so glad to have Obama take office, and that was the first year I could call myself a Democrat.

Today is very sad because justice has not been served for those terrorists that made us look like crap to our enemies. I think the blowback from that day will last a long time. We look so weak.

• Marleen January 6, 2022 / 12:14 pm

Yeah, it’s very possible Donald Trump was going for us looking weak; because he’s a Putin (and Saudi and so on) fanboy.

• emkingston January 6, 2022 / 1:35 pm

Facts! The world is so mad at us. It is pretty scary, especially when you read that China turned on their nukes.

• Marleen January 6, 2022 / 12:09 pm

Apparently, MTG and Matt Gaetz were in the building (but not on the floor). And Gaetz said, today on the Steve Bannon podcast, that he’s still proud of what they did last year on this date.

• Fandango January 6, 2022 / 10:37 pm

I agree, Marleen.

4. Marleen January 5, 2022 / 4:39 pm

From the opening post: “ When did the paradigm shift so far away from facts and truth that we can’t even agree to the verity of what we see with our own eyes?”

I’m gonna go with both a boiling the frog idea, in the sense of principles obviously disappearing over time, and our broadcasted entry into Iraq for physical aggression.

Although we kept trying to fool ourselves before George W. [the senior] Bush, I think the writing was on the wall with him/his administration, at least by the end.

But remember the beginning? A bunch of hired jerks pushed into a place where votes were being counted. I’d bet you can find a clip of that scene on YouTube.

• Marleen January 5, 2022 / 4:41 pm

* [the junior] Bush

5. CARAMEL January 6, 2022 / 3:05 am

I don’t want to be controversial Fandango, what happened on January 6th was unacceptable and wrong. But that group of rioters who invaded the political building – was it Capitol Hill? There is an element of weird chaos about it that makes them look particularly foolish. Here in the UK, we were watching with a great deal of anxiety because we think of the US as this scary gun slinging society, but as far as I know the rioters did not enter with guns seeking to kill. Instead they used what was on hand to intimidate security guards and to beat a path through – and then they seemed to relish in taking selfies of themselves in the offices of well known politicians and causing havoc, finding paperwork that they may have thought was worth nicking.

They were completely disrespectful, vandalizing public property, inciting fear, causing bodily harm injuries, and I remember at least one security guard or police man died – I think he died of a heart attack.

It was absurd and foolish and wrong. Yes there was violence, no doubt about it, but we were relieved they were not using guns and intent on taking lives. There was an atmosphere of chimpanzee’s tea-party about the whole thing though – they came across as a disorganised gang of bullish fools who have no respect for the authorities that are allowed to exist.

I am not aware of anything like that happening before in the US, and it was a shock to see those scenes. But when I look at the anger of protesters in other lands and how sometimes conflicts are so much more violent and weaponized. We have colleagues over in Kazakhstan who have been very fearful as the situation near to them has developed so quickly.

I would hope that nothing like that would happen again in the US, but I fear that we are in very turbulent times, and there are a lot of people harbouring mistrust, resentment, anger – and in this modern age – once a small spark is lit it can spread very quickly.

• Marleen January 6, 2022 / 10:34 am

Chimpanzee tea party is an outstanding term. That was largely so. However, we also know that chimpanzees have been very harmful to humans at times (including that day). You know, it’s an interesting point that you observed they didn’t seem like they wanted to use their guns in that situation. I think they have more respect for guns or the right to bear arms than they, some of them, have for actual humans. There was a close call (maybe more not reported) where a bunch considered shooting an officer “with his own gun.” They didn’t shoot him, but that officer has ongoing health issues for what they did do; perhaps in their ignorance (of what beating up on somone can do to a person), but in their recklessness and disregard too. I’m glad no one got their face chewed off.

• Fandango January 6, 2022 / 7:54 pm

Mel, I haven’t had time to give your comment a fair reading today, but I will respond tomorrow.

• CARAMEL January 7, 2022 / 12:40 am

It’s such a difficult subject Fandango. At the time, the behaviour of the former president was baffling and around the world people were disappointed and appalled by what was being said about the election. The organized event on 6th January seemed very disrespectful. But when they invaded the public building, it was madness. They came across like thugs, but some of the things they did – it was a mix of very scary when it came to the damage they caused and the injuries they caused, and the fear they incited – and the most pathetic stunts – the selfies and the disorder they created – they just seemed so pathetic.

• Fandango January 7, 2022 / 8:56 am

It was pathetic.

6. Marleen January 6, 2022 / 10:34 am

Katie Halper [visits the show], Robby, and Kim Look Back at 2021’s Biggest Media Screw-ups

7. Marleen January 6, 2022 / 11:16 am

Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA) joins Andrea Mitchell to discuss talks between Democrats, including Senator Manchin, on the path forward for voting rights. “I would say that our progress has been in the direction of a solution, but as slow as my commute,” says Kaine. “We know there is not going to be Republican support and we feel a burden on our shoulders as we’re approaching the anniversary of January 6th.” Jan. 5, 2022

8. leigha66 January 6, 2022 / 7:19 pm

I have been on edge all day with all the talk about last year. Waiting to hear someone did something terrible in support of the day. Maybe the fact that charges have been filed on many of the rioters has kept things under control today. Another blogger focused on the speech given at the inauguration by Amanda Gorman… I think I want to hold onto some of the power and hope from that instead of the violence at the Capitol.

Comments are closed.