Fandango’s Provocative Question #151

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

My wife enjoys watching TV shows about flipping houses, remodeling homes, buying and selling, etc. on networks like HGTV. I will occasionally join her watching some of those shows. Recently, on one show hosted by a designer that people engage for major remodeling, said host made this statement:

“A massive seven out of ten people are unhappy with the homes they live in.”

That took me by surprise, as I — and most of the people I personally know — don’t outwardly appear to be unhappy with their current abodes.

So my provocative question for you this week is this:

Are you one of the seven out of ten people who is unhappy with the place in which you currently reside? If so, what is it about your place that causes your unhappiness? Or, are you one of the 30% who is not unhappy with your home? What is it about it that makes you happy?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

37 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #151

1. Jewish Young Professional "JYP" January 5, 2022 / 7:29 am

I’m not going to do a whole post in response to this one because I’ve done a ton of complaining lately, and I feel my blog should have some variety, but I can whole-heartedly believe this statistic. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it went up to 9 out of 10 people during the pandemic. Nothing like being trapped in the same space 24/7 to make you realize that you absolutely hate it. Quite possibly this is what’s making the housing market so ridiculous right now.

As to how I feel about my current living space, I’ll link back to a previous colorful post with my feelings on the subject (apologies in advance for the length and over-wrought metaphor): https://jewishyoungprofessional.wordpress.com/2021/01/03/chef-restaurant-patron-and-other-flawed-metaphors-for-god-aka-the-almost-funny-reasons-why-jyp-hasnt-posted-in-a-month/

2. XingfuMama January 5, 2022 / 7:33 am

When I see stats like that, from a clearly biased source I always wonder how they worded the question. I think that most people have things they like and things they might want to change but can live with, and things that really bug them about their homes (most of us experience this in relationships, jobs, automobiles, etc. also). In such a case the way the question is worded can bias the data significantly.

• Fandango January 5, 2022 / 8:40 am

I agree. But if you’re profession is home remodeling designer, you can word the question to get your desired answer.

• XingfuMama January 5, 2022 / 9:42 am

I know. And the desired answer helps them to get advertising so there is big money in dissatisfaction.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 5, 2022 / 5:50 pm

I’m with you. This question is so loosely premised, it could mean many different things to each one who answers. I like my house, wish i could fix it, Like it, find it harder to manage than I’d like — but that’s me, not it. That’s the way life is. You like some stuff, don’t like other stuff, want to change things. But I also think I’m very lucky to be here and not somewhere else.

3. CARAMEL January 5, 2022 / 8:43 am

I am content with my little nest. For London, this place is a real find, spacious, tastefully furnished, all the amenities I need, good quality finishes. The big bonus is safety. My little nest is hidden away behind two sets of huge locked gates. Many would have no idea this place even exists. I have to have my post and any deliveries redirected or they are unlikely to reach me. Plus this part of London is swish – fancy boutiques and restaurants, interesting history and tourist attractions on the doorstep, and huge green parks that you can disappear into. I also like the little lanes and alleys that mean Jack and I can move around without having to walk along the high street and have people recognizing him and slowing us down.

4. Marleen January 5, 2022 / 9:13 am

I have three homes, one of which is entirely mine [except that my mother and her scammers are trying to steal it from me] and one of which is not technically mine at all (in terms of ownership). On top of that, I help my sons choose/plan their houses and decide when to sell (the oldest is now in the process of building [having somone build] his next home, and I’m advising). {For those who are interested, a standout pal of sorts [and an inspector with full engineering training and said degree(s) but who hadn’t taken “the” test or series of tests to claim it even though he was very entrusted in active overseer and hands-on capacity… by the [major] nearby city proper… which was not the county in which I was building] when I was overseeing the unique construction of a five-thousand-square-foot home [on many acres with a spring where Union soldiers camped], “did” my charts (if that is the right way to say it) and found that “homes”/“home” is all over the place in any angle you choose; I don’t follow that stuff and to a large degree laugh at it — yet, this is true. And I have found most/all serious personal approaches to come out in correct fashion [do skip horoscopes or any mumbo-jumbo]. I feel slightly guilty for including this rabbit trail, but it’s a part of the picture. He didn’t even know, at the time, that I had five sons — plus, gave birth to four of them at home. He didn’t know how right he was. Nor did he know that my (very dear) father had been in real estate (while Dad’s identity was favored, leading, and favorite art teacher in a different major metropolitan area public school system who turned down his offer for getting into upper echelons of administrative hierarchy because he liked the daily real interaction with kids). But our relationship, completely platonic [while we admitted sparks and wishes], led to this knowledgeable friend upping his personal game career-wise. He soon decided to triple his income.} I love all of my homes. That doesn’t mean I don’t think, almost every day or week, of tweaking this or that. But I like to plan well, I don’t impetuously run out and spend money. Meanwhile, my fourth son owns (fully his) a place he was thinking of selling while going through graduate school; I insisted (implored) he not do that, and helped him through this aspect (which turned out to mean I paid for one of his semesters [due to his transition from one job, where his tuition was being paid, to another wherein he has to be there a little while first] although we’ve said it was a loan and I’m waiting to see if he remembers as he’s not done with school yet). My newest project is redoing a living room wet bar area where I’m currently staying (the old faucet and plumbing having given their last breath); fun, in point of fact.

I know that was rambly and that it contains a lot of parentheticals, but it’ll do.

5. Nope, Not Pam January 5, 2022 / 11:08 am

I’m not unhappy with my home, I just think it’s unsuitable for us. With no kids at home, it’s too large and my husband just fills it with clutter, but we would loose out big time if we moved, as house prices have skyrocketed here 😕

• Fandango January 5, 2022 / 11:59 am

Hasn’t the price of your home also skyrocketed?

• Nope, Not Pam January 5, 2022 / 12:12 pm

It has gone up, but downsizing will still cost more and we’ll have to dip into our savings

• Marilyn Armstrong January 5, 2022 / 5:54 pm

A lot of people don’t realize that unless you make a LOT of money when you sell, you are probably going to wind up surprisingly broke. It always costs more to move than we think it will and it’s not easy to find new digs that aren’t even MORE expensive than your previous home.

6. bushboy January 5, 2022 / 1:10 pm

I am in a beautiful place with nature and life at my door step. What’s not to love?

7. aguycalledbloke January 5, 2022 / 2:05 pm

If 7 out of 10 people are unhappy with where they live, why don’t they just move? there was only one place l was ever truly unhappy in and that wasn’t the place itself but the location and the landlords and that was the caravan. Maybe if people actually own a property that might make things more difficult, but then there are also advantages to rentals over ownerships..

8. leigha66 January 6, 2022 / 4:44 am

I enjoy living in the house I grew up in, but that said, it needs a lot of work. There is only so much I can do and repairs cost money and take time. The time I have the money not so much. But I can see me staying here for the duration of my life. My daughter wants me out of this house with all it’s needed repairs, but she is not wealthy enough to buy me a new place to live, ha, ha! So I guess I am in the middle of that 70/30 split.