E.M.’s Sunday Ramble Prompt — Cars and Driving

E.M. Kingston has started a new weekly prompt called The Sunday Ramble. It is based upon a certain topic. She asks five questions about that topic, that we can ramble on however we wish. Today’s topic is “cars and driving.”

1. We all had a first car. What year, make, and model was your first car?

My first car was a 1961 Chevy Corvair Monza, pretty much like the one pictured below.

When I was about 18, my parents handed down to me their 1961 Monza. I believe they gave it to me right about the same time that consumer advocate Ralph Nader first published his book, “Unsafe at Any Speed,” a book that basically condemned the Corvair as a death trap. Hmmm.

It really was a POS car. It was so bad that, because of its bronze color, my friends dubbed it the “golden garbage can.” But, given that it didn’t cost me anything, I did have some fond memories of that POS. As they say, you never forget your first car.

2. If you won the lottery, would you buy your dream car and what kind would it be? If you do not care to talk about cars, how would you spend your lottery money?

Back in the day I got used to really care about the kinds of cars I drove. I preferred sports cars, and I owned, at one time or another a Sunbeam Alpine, an MGB, an Austin Healey 3000, a Jaguar XK150, and a Datsun 240Z. Then I got married, had kids, and bought station wagons, minivans, and SUVs. Today I own a small, electric SUV and that more than meets my driving needs. So if I won the lottery today, I’d by a luxury mountain retreat.

3. The Transporter (hauling other people and going from point A to point B), Gone in 60 Seconds (fast!), or Driving Miss Daisy (Slow)? (This would be examples of your driving style.)

I’m heavy-footed, so I have to go with “Gone in 60 Seconds” or maybe “Fast and Furious.”

4. Which is your preference to drive on: Interstate, Freeways, or Back Roads?

Back roads.

5. Pick your favorite famous car on television.

That would have to be KITT, from Knight Rider, a modified Pontiac Firebird Trans Am that did it all: fired rockets, sniffed bombs, sprayed tear gas, could “ski” on two wheels, and had artificial intelligence and could talk.

15 thoughts on “E.M.’s Sunday Ramble Prompt — Cars and Driving

1. bushboy January 2, 2022 / 2:28 pm

KITT? I thought you would have been more a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang sort of bloke 😂

2. Carol anne January 2, 2022 / 6:51 pm

You owned a lot of cars! 😀 Hopefully your enjoying the electric car!

3. leigha66 January 2, 2022 / 8:50 pm

I too am happy with my current transportation, but I am thinking more close to the beach than the mountains… either one for a getaway. And what other car comes even close to KITT? Well, maybe the batmobile Ha, ha!

4. emkingston January 2, 2022 / 10:20 pm

Hey Fandango! Thanks for joining me in car rambling 😀 My first car was a hand-me-down as well, and it was kind of a death trap too because my mom was terrible at car maintenance. I loved all the answers, and KITT was the best, huh? I remember fantasizing about having one when I was younger. I think if you live in California and have to take the 99 Freeway or Interstate 5 that it’s a given to drive like you are in Fast & Furious. *giggles* I enjoyed this! It made me smile. Have a great week, my friend.

5. Nope, Not Pam January 3, 2022 / 1:21 am

KITT was cool, had more personality than Mr Hasselhoff 😁

6. writerravenclaw January 3, 2022 / 2:46 am

I used to watch that show as a child, perhaps there is a car like that now.

• Fandango January 3, 2022 / 9:54 pm

The voice was that of an actor, William Daniels. I remember him from his role as Dr. Mark Craig in a TV show, “St. Elsewhere.” It was a hospital drama.

• Terveen Gill January 4, 2022 / 12:44 am

I remember that show but never watched it. My TV watching was very limited as a kid. My mom used to watch a soap opera called General Hospital. I think hospitals are good places for drama. 🙂

Comments are closed.