E.M.’s Sunday Ramble Prompt — One Way or the Other

E.M. Kingston has started a new weekly prompt called The Sunday Ramble. It is based upon a certain topic. She asks five questions about that topic, that we can ramble on however we wish. Today’s topic is “this or that?”

1. Glass half full or glass half empty?

I used to be a glass half full guy, an optimist, a guy who always saw the sunny side of things. But starting around 2015, when Donald Trump graduated from reality show host to presidential candidate, things have been going downhill rapidly in terms of my view of my country and the world. It’s gotten to the point now that the glass is not just half empty, it’s almost at the bottom.

2. Train or airplane?

If I need to get from point A to point B quickly, it’s airplane. Otherwise, it’s train.

3. Sneakers or dress shoes?

Since I retired in 2016, I’ve only word dress shoes one time, and that was at my son’s wedding. So my answer is definitely sneakers.

4. See the future or change the past?

The past is the past and no matter how many times I’d like to have a do-over, it can’t be done. As to the future, what I’m seeing of the future — not my personal future, but the future of humanity — is pretty bleak. (See, I really have turned into a glass more that half empty kind of a guy.) So my favorite approach is to focus on and live in the present.

5. Test the waters or dive in the deep end?

In my youth I was more of a dive in the deep end kind of a guy, but as I’ve grown older, I have turned into a test the waters type. Of course, when it came to a recent decision to buy an ebike, I decided to do that never even having taken an ebike out for a test ride. I did a lot of online research before buying, but it was only about a week between thinking about buying an ebike and actually buying one. Or actually buying two, one for me and one for my wife.

Photo credit: Olya Kobruseva on Pexels.com.

16 thoughts on “E.M.’s Sunday Ramble Prompt — One Way or the Other

• Fandango December 19, 2021 / 9:54 pm

Thanks, Don.

1. emkingston December 19, 2021 / 2:27 pm

Hey Fandango! As per usual, I love the candor of your answers and enjoyed them! I actually got a good laugh aloud reading how you turned away from optimism due to D.T. I am right there with you, and I can concur that this was the time that life did not make sense anymore. Until reading your posts, I had never heard of an Ebike…so I will have to research that. I love to ride a normal bike. It’s great exercise. Have a great week and a relaxing Sunday!

• Fandango December 19, 2021 / 9:59 pm

Thanks, E.M. It’s supposed to rain here pretty much every day this coming week, so I doubt that I’ll be doing any biking, but I do hope to have a pleasant week. I hope you do as well.

• emkingston December 19, 2021 / 11:01 pm

You’re most welcome! It has gotten quite cold here today compared to yesterday, and I think winter is finally rearing its ugly head *laughs* We have pea soup (fog) rolling into the valley. Stay dry in the rain! Thank you!

2. Marleen December 19, 2021 / 2:43 pm

For the third question, my own answer is a little more complex. But I just now ran across this for a new year party: ‘Dress to impress. Male dress code is “business casual.” You don’t have to wear a tie, but dress like you are applying for a management position. (That means: no hats, tennis shoes/sandals/work boots, shorts, T-shirts, jerseys, athletic attire, denim jeans, baggy pants, etc.) A collared button-down shirt and nice slacks is ideal. Please, gentleman, this is strictly enforced.’ (I found this interesting; the simplified brochure includes the dress to impress part; the fine print clarifies they are only talking about rules for the men. Meanwhile, the same [huge high-end] event has stated [in the fine print again] that nothing virus-related is being enforced. Also, if this is all that is being asked of the men, my own version of what I first thought I’d wear is greatly changed… if I were to go. I have to admit, I’m a little creeped out at the thought… and not because of what I’ve shared here.)

3. Marleen December 19, 2021 / 3:22 pm

Hmmm… I posted something that drifted (or was yanked) out of the comments space. I’ll try again — breaking the quoted part into smaller pieces. What I said was that my own answer is more complex, while I have a straight-forward answer from a new year party promotional: ‘… Male dress code is “business casual.” You don’t have to wear a tie, but dress like you are applying for a management position. [And it goes on, but I’m going to offer some of my own words before I quote additionally.]’

Include only this, and my own view of how I would dress for this is different from how I think of it after I read the rest. Were I to go, that is; I think I’m a little too creeped out (not for any reason that I will introduce herein). It began with, ‘Dress to impress.’ In fact, the brief promotional version only says that. But the fine print online clarifies the enforcement of rules is only for the boys, and doesn’t involve any virus protocols. This is a huge, high-end event. I had come up with an outfit. Then…

‘(That means: no hats, tennis shoes/sandals/work boots, shorts, T-shirts, jerseys, athletic attire, denim jeans, baggy pants, etc.) A collared button-down shirt and nice slacks is ideal. Please, gentleman, this is strictly enforced.’ Hmm? Is this pretty much a new iteration of an old tendency for double-standard? Women/girls feel like they are supposed to dress up or, at least, won’t be looked on as highly if they aren’t in an evening dress or something shiny? Or… maybe they want as many females there as they can get.

No descriptions will be supplied. I actually think that’s it. I say that for at least two reasons, one general and one specific (concerning the host(s)). And, now, I will answer in this context (rather than the more complex one of my everyday life). I would wear shiny and sheer (but not slinky or see-through) things for this occasion, with boots that are a workbook style with the leather covered in silver. Yet, I get a John Wick clientele vibe. I’m not going. And, if I were the kind of gal who really wanted to go… sigh.

• Marleen December 20, 2021 / 1:49 am

Well, I had thought the yanking was coming from the fact I had quoted that seedy site. (That’s actually happened before, that a site has had something code-wise that “sticks” — for lack of a better description — to copying of a paragraph from there. I was making another attempt, then saw these posts got through as they weren’t yanked but were in your trash or review… and that you’d seen them.) In the new effort, the most significant difference [other than the new way I was going to get around the sticky tactic] was something I’ll go ahead and say: I like the trend that stylish sneakers are now accepted as semi-dressy (for men and women), and I don’t mind the right clean, white sneakers with a dressy white shirt on a man in a suit.

• Fandango December 20, 2021 / 5:19 pm

Yes, both of them got swept up in my spam folder for some reason. 🤷🏻‍♂️

4. E. that's me December 19, 2021 / 3:26 pm

I think that as people age or get life experience, some people become realists (or perhaps even pessimistic). I wonder if that explains the change?

• Fandango December 19, 2021 / 10:00 pm

I think it’s more related to how Donald Trump and the Republicans are destroying America.

5. Marilyn Armstrong December 19, 2021 / 4:42 pm

I made the mistake of reading a page from the Washington Post. I really, REALLY with I hadn’t. Just one more fear to add to all the other fears that something like reality is not going to return in my lifetime — maybe not ever. Sigh. How, oh HOW did we get to this point?

• Fandango December 19, 2021 / 10:06 pm

How, indeed. I, for one, never saw this coming. Well, until 2016 when all the Republicans in Congress and pretty much everywhere in the country anointed Trump as their new savior.

6. leigha66 December 19, 2021 / 11:46 pm

I have only flown once, but I have never been on a train… it has a somewhat romantic notion about it traveling the countryside. I would prefer the train I think, as long as I had enough time to get to my destination and back. There is something to be said about the speed of a plane.

7. Carol anne January 31, 2022 / 1:20 pm

I’d say you dived in at the deep end then, buying the ebikes! Lol!

Comments are closed.