Fandango’s Flashback Friday — December 17th

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 17th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on December 17, 2017.

Alice B. Toklas Brownies

1895A370-6C1A-43E2-8AAD-77FED7A2396B

Back in the day, I used to be something of a pothead. In my twenties and early thirties I spent many a weekend in a cannabis haze, mesmerized by nature programs on TV or by zoning out on rock albums.

But after a while (like when my wife and I had our first kid), I decided that being in a haze while raising children was not such a good idea. My wife and I went cold turkey and stopped smoking weed pretty much altogether.

By the way, our experience negates the argument that marijuana is addictive. It was harder to quit smoking cigarettes than it was to quit smoking pot. It also demonstrates that marijuana is not a gateway drug, since neither of us has ever done any “hard” drugs like heroin, cocaine, or meth.

Okay, yes, I did drop acid a few times, but that was a whole nuther trip, so to speak.

My wife and I are getting up there in years, and like many aging Baby Boomers, we have our share of aches and pains. And sometimes getting a really solid sleep at night eludes us.

We have a friend who has some medical issues and his doctor prescribed medical marijuana, which is legal in California. When I was telling him about my trouble falling and staying asleep, he brought over some Alice B. Toklas brownies (brownies baked with marijuana in them). “Eat a brownie about an hour before bedtime,” he said. “I promise you’ll sleep like a baby.”

So I did eat a brownie and I did get a great night’s sleep. It was bliss. I fell asleep almost instantly and didn’t wake up until after seven!

I don’t have a prescription from my doctor for medical marijuana, but the good news is that in November 2016, the good citizens of California voted to legalize the recreational use of marijuana. Starting January 5th, I will be able to legally purchase cannabis from my local dispensary.

And I’m looking forward to getting my bliss on. Maybe it will make hearing about how Donald Trump is destroying my country a little more tolerable.

Written for today’s one-word prompt,”bliss.”

18 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flashback Friday — December 17th

1. bushboy December 17, 2021 / 3:24 am

Sounds like a very similar life experience to mine. Either I was listening to or playing music with my friends with a good number of joints passing around. A couple of acid trips was enough. Once the first child arrived being stoned with a crying baby wasn’t fun any more so yes cold turkey and it wasn’t hard. The cigarettes was harder.I wish the laws here would get it together. With my sleep apnea and sort of epilepsy (only one episode almost 18 months ago) I tried a bit of weed and my sleep apnea episodes dropped. It does help.
    Those were the days my friend 🙂

2. Mister Bump UK December 17, 2021 / 5:13 am

Wife has had nerve pain ever since we had our child. She says the same. Not legal here, or legal but very restricted, but… there’s ways and means.

Come to think of it I’ve had pains since about then too, but more of a dull ache!

3. Lou Carreras December 17, 2021 / 9:50 am

” Don’t bogart that joint my friend…pass it over to me…roll another one, just like the other one…
    Another trip, so to speak, down memory lane.
    And I am thinking similar thoughts thanks to arthritis,

4. Marilyn Armstrong December 17, 2021 / 10:22 am

We have medical and recreational marijuana legalized here. It took them FOREVER to pass the bill after it was wildly popular on the ballot. There’s 20% tax making illegal pot cheaper than legal stuff. BUT the legal stuff is mostly very high quality and we’ve got SO MANY POT SHOPS locally, it’s nuts. You can’t find a hardware store for love nor money, but dope? We quite literally — within a square mile of our house, at least eight shops. Pretty sure some of them will disappear by virtue of competition.

I couldn’t figure out why of all places Uxbridge was a huge location for pot shops and it turns out that our location right on the Rhode Island border where it has not been legalized (and just 7 or 8 miles from the Connecticut border too) makes us perfectly located. Even I, who have NO sense of direction, can find a pot shop because there’s one at the bottom of our street, about .9 miles from home — and it’s huge because it includes a near-stadium-sized dome for growing. Bet they’ve got an electric bill to die from!

We also have a “baking lady.” She used to be a regular baker, but now she’s a fantastic baker of the most potent and DELICIOUS baked goods I’ve ever eaten. I have to remind myself to NOT eat the baked goods because they are so yummy because if I do that, I will fall over and not get up until morning.

I have to get into bed before I eat any of her goodies. After they start to work, I can’t figure out where my head ends and my feet begin. It makes for very mellow evenings.

• Fandango December 17, 2021 / 5:06 pm

When I lived in San Francisco there were three pot stores within a half mile of our house. Where I live now, in the far-out burbs 30 miles east of SF, pot shops are few and far between, so we use home delivery.

5. leigha66 December 17, 2021 / 10:44 pm

And now you have your marshmallows to eat… oh, what about marshmallow brownies? Or some rice krispies treats made with a few special marshmallows? …or maybe I have just got the munchies!