One-Liner Wednesday — The Past and the Future

For this week’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt from Linda G. Hill, I’m unabashedly stealing a quote that Marla, at Marla’s World, posted this past Friday. Why? Because it resonated with me.

Here’s the quote Marla posted. It’s from American writer James Meredith.

“Nothing is a bigger waste of time than regretting the past and worrying about the future.”

I also found this very similar quote from another American author, Roy T. Bennett:

“No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future.”

19 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — The Past and the Future

• Fandango December 15, 2021 / 10:13 am

I wholeheartedly agree. It’s over, done, and there’s nothing you can do to change it.

1. Marlapaige December 15, 2021 / 6:40 am

Thank you for the shout out! I will let my Aunt know that it resonated that strongly with you. Have a great day!

• Fandango December 15, 2021 / 10:19 am

It can be a challenge m, but what’s done is done. No point in repetitive coulda-shoulda-woulda.

2. bushboy December 15, 2021 / 1:48 pm

Don’t dwell on the past or fear the future. Don’t think of the present because I didn’t get you one 😂

3. CARAMEL December 16, 2021 / 3:23 am

I think it’s like that rear view mirror analogy. You can’t drive safely if your eyes are fixed on the rear-view mirrors. However, you do need to check them intermittently, perhaps more so before breaking or turning or overtaking. Having your future destination in mind will guide your course and choice of routes, but the most important thing is to have your eyes on the road right ahead of you and concentrate on where you are.

4. Carol anne January 14, 2022 / 2:12 pm

As the song goes: regrets, I’ve had a few, and I say, who cares! They are done and over now! MOve on!