Fandango’s Provocative Question #148

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

This, I think, is going to be a fun one, especially if you’re a movie buff. There’s a guy I know who practically has all of the dialogue from the movie “Caddyshack” memorized. One of my wife’s friends is an expert when it comes to reenacting scenes from “When Harry Met Sally,” especially Meg Ryan’s scene in the deli. Maybe yours is “Casablanca.” Or “A Few Good Men.” How about “The Wizard of Oz,” “Gone with the Wind,” “The Goddather,” “Forrest Gump,” or any Monty Python movie?

Mine is:

So here’s my provocative fun question this week.

What movie, if any, can you practically quote from start to finish?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

38 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #148

1. ellacraigwrites December 15, 2021 / 4:16 am

In Bruges (2008), Hot Fuzz (2007), This is Spinal Tap (1984) and Monty Python’s Life of Brian (1979). I can be very annoying at parties…

• Fandango December 15, 2021 / 10:11 am

Okay, we’ll maybe a bunch of the classic dialogue.

2. newepicauthor December 15, 2021 / 6:44 am

I remember the movie Animal House very well, but I don’t have all that much of the dialogue memorized where I could recite it,

3. Irene December 15, 2021 / 7:05 am

Not a whole movie, but I remember a lot of fun lines from “Monty Python’s The meaning of Life”, from “morning”…”morning” … “have you seen Howard?” to “Perhaps a little mint?” to the end scene’s revelation of the meaning of life “Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat,…”

4. Marleen December 15, 2021 / 1:55 pm

Mel Brooks movies are very fun; I’m happy to watch them over again… and again! But the movie I’ve seen the most is The Matrix. In fact, it’s a whole family thing. On the 26th of December, we are getting together to watch Matrix Resurrection. We went to the sequels in theater during the time period when it was a thing to stand in line for an hour or so to get good seats for blockbusters. I know (not all but many) lines from the movies (especially the standalone beginning one) and from music associated with the movies (particularly RATM — rage against the machine — but also Juno Reactor (and Don Davis at times), who are enjoyable to listen to without so much a sense of protest or mourning as with RATM or the motion picture. While I have said, recently in Fandango’s blog comments section somewhere, that a certain song by a different band might be my theme song {key lyric being “I Know the Pieces Fit” with an emphasis on communication}, I could also choose from this music as well as a line spoken within the first movie (maybe midway through it): “There is no spoon.” Here is the song that comes on at the end of the original:

Wake Up [movie ending and credits]

The lyrics reference the civil rights “era” —
    I don’t see it as having only to do with the time.

Return the power to the have nots… then came the shot!

• Marleen December 15, 2021 / 2:13 pm

Sigh… correction of bracketing and a parenthetical: I know (not all but many) lines from the movies (especially the standalone beginning movie) and from music associated with the movies (particularly RATM — rage against the machine — but also Juno Reactor [and Don Davis at times], who are enjoyable to listen to without so much a sense of protest or mourning as with RATM or the motion picture).

• Marleen December 15, 2021 / 3:06 pm

Robbie Robertson and the
      red road ensemble ~
      It is a Good Day to Die

• Marleen December 15, 2021 / 3:09 pm

Robbie Robertson and the
      Red Road Ensemble ~
      Ghost Dance

• Marleen December 15, 2021 / 3:56 pm

Temple of the Dog ~
      Wooden Jesus
      (voice and
      drums isolated)

• Marleen December 17, 2021 / 3:34 pm

I saw, and got, this image from another blogger’s site. But I don’t know how to link to it, it specifically, at his site. (Plus, he removed a comment of mine wherein I shared a Court (Supreme Court) decision favoring (with conservative backing) police officers not enforcing a protection order of young kids against their violent father who killed them — even though it was a legal order — due to not listening to their mother.)

I want to say it is imperative (if one is honest) to consider the point of view of someone like me — who was surrounded, because of my mother’s politics { pretense as if based on personal principles }, with a point of view. I am still not pro-abortion. However, I am very anti-hypocrisy and against hateful control and superiority. I found that almost no one was actually against abortion — bunch of liars. I, myself, argued with them (they who chose that political side and which political side I was on) that if abortion is wrong (as they say it is), then it’s wrong! Damn it! “Indulgences”* DON’T COUNT. I was christened as a baby (because of my father), but my principles-free mother who “converted” two or three years ago (and is still principles-free) after my dad’s death doesn’t recognize the fact I had a crucifix on my bedroom walls as an absolute fixture the whole time I was a child — and is sure her rear on the wood of a pew will take her to heaven. I took her, at her request, to see a movie at her church called Roe v Wade. But she sat there and told me, again, that it was right for my cousin [who was sad for decades about it] to have had an abortion (at my aunt’s and my cousin’s twin aunt’s insistence); she was young and without a career, and… besides… the father was black. As far as I’m concerned, this kind of person can go to hell. But I tell my mother she might have things to think about in Purgatory. Of course, she’s clueless what I might even mean. She didn’t attend the more informative classes that are at the church she attends (which church my dad chose); she selected a quick four sessions at another Catholic church. Nonetheless, there are very knowledgeable members (the majority of them) of the political coalition (both “Catholic” and non-Catholic) who subscribe to the wooden jesus philosophy. She is the kind of person with whom you are in league.

*{ For those unfamiliar, look up Catholic indulgences. }

Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the Kingdom ahead of you.” I believe there is a reason both tax collectors and prostitutes are delineated. At least taxes were an attempt to, in part, help the poor or desperate.

• Marleen December 23, 2021 / 10:50 am

Kragalott Lecture: Dr. Timothy Snyder at
        Ohio Wesleyan University | Benes Room | January 30, 2013

• Marilyn Armstrong December 16, 2021 / 10:57 am

A lot of these “old” movies are just as relevant — maybe even MORE relevant — now as they were when they were new. The world has changed but not nearly as much as it should have!

• Marleen January 5, 2022 / 3:03 pm

Warning: the fourth installment is NOTHING like the other three. AND the first one was stolen (the concept) from a woman; a court case says that, yes (she was awarded a sum of money), she came up with it (and the brothers-sisters took it over); perhaps I shouldn’t have fallen for the marketing this time (by only one of the two brothers gone sister). At least we didn’t pay anything for it.

• Marleen January 5, 2022 / 3:07 pm

I’m referring to the Wachowski Brothers (now sisters) stealing the original idea of The Matrix.

5. Marilyn Armstrong December 16, 2021 / 10:55 am

Actually, now that you mention it, I think both Garry and I could reenact Casablanca too. Too many movies, too little time.

6. Marleen December 17, 2021 / 5:11 pm

Hey, there, Kingston. I danced, with a co-captain, to a Grease [the original and first] song for our autumn talent/variety show at my high school. I think the song was “You’re the One I Want.” I’m not a guy or very big and don’t have such dark hair, but I was the guy in the pairing… John Travolta. It’s a great memory of fun people in my life.

• Marleen December 17, 2021 / 9:07 pm

E.M.

I would’ve posted at her site, but that required signing in — in such a way as I don’t have access. I’ve tried, before, to have a google account. But it never works out; can’t explain that.

Comments are closed.