TMP — Christmas Songs

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off.

My peeve today is similar to Paula’s, who complained about people assuming that she celebrates Christmas, which she doesn’t. My peeve is about people assuming that I want to hear Christmas songs, which I don’t.

Yes, I’m a bit of a scrooge, but I’m just not a fan of Christmas music, but it’s close to inescapable from Thanksgiving through Christmas Day. Hey listen, I know a lot of you who are reading this love Christmas songs. Some of you may go caroling between now and Christmas. That’s fine. Whatever floats your boat, you know? Christmas music sinks my boat.

There are a lot of radio stations that turn to all Christmas music all time time starting right after thanksgiving. Which is fine because I don’t typically listen to those stations. My preferred radio station is the SiriusXM Classic Vinyl channel. I listen to it in my car and I have it playing as background music in my home. So basically all the time.

Well, starting December 1st, SiriusXM’s Classic Vinyl started playing Christmas songs from classic rock artists about every fourth song. And everybody knows that the absolutely worst Christmas songs are those recorded by classic rock artists.

I swear, if I hear Paul McCartney’s “Wonderful Christmastime” one more time I’m going to break something. And then there’s Springsteen’s “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” or Bon Jovi’s “Back Door Santa.” Ugh!

I am so looking forward to December 26th, when this, too, shall pass. At least until next year at this time.

21 thoughts on “TMP — Christmas Songs

1. RuthScribbles December 13, 2021 / 6:27 pm

😜 there’s a station here that starts playing Christmas music a good week or more BEFORE thanksgiving.

2. donmatthewspoetry December 13, 2021 / 6:56 pm

We at Siri XM Vine
    Want our listeners to
    Get in a Christmas spirit and
    Paul Mc we play for you

Aren’t they thoughtful Fan?

Also Adele singing Jingle Bells?……

That’s a new one to me?…..

3. lssattitudeofgratitude December 13, 2021 / 7:37 pm

I am a Jewish woman who likes Christmas albums, but never on the radio. I listen to my choices when/if I am in the mood. I had PT today and the Xmas crud station was playing lousy Xmas music the entire time I was there. I wanted to hurl something at the speaker.

4. cagedunn December 13, 2021 / 10:06 pm

Yeah, I’m with you, and although we don’t have Thanksgiving the shops and radio stations blast the Christmas songs at us from late October. If I never hear another Christmas song, it will still be too soon.

• Fandango December 13, 2021 / 10:15 pm

“If I never hear another Christmas song, it will still be too soon.” I couldn’t agree more.

5. leigha66 December 13, 2021 / 11:43 pm

Yeah, it is really hard to avoid… they play it everywhere!

6. Nope, Not Pam December 14, 2021 / 1:33 am

Now I’m a huge Springsteen fan, but Christmas songs, I feel like I’ve taken a wrong turn and ended up in hell 😳

7. ladysighs December 14, 2021 / 2:50 am

I will forgive you for not visiting my blog during Dec.

• Fandango December 14, 2021 / 10:26 am

I’ll still visit your blog for your words, but maybe not for the music. 😏

8. Eugi December 14, 2021 / 5:51 am

Many don’t seem to realize that not everyone celebrates, Christmas. Christmas has become a over-commercialized holiday, IMO. While I enjoy some of the original Christmas Carols, many of the Christmas songs get on my nerves. Even my classic rock and roll station plays Christmas music. Bah Humbug!

9. Lou Carreras December 14, 2021 / 6:28 am

Yeah. The endless cycle of regurgitated Yuletide dirges bothers me too, and I do like the songs, in my place and at my choosing.

10. ruddjr December 14, 2021 / 8:39 am

My Uncle posts songs for the entire month of December on Facebook. I have to unfollow him for the month because it’s just too much.

• Fandango December 14, 2021 / 7:08 pm

I’d unfollow him too if he were my uncle.

11. pensitivity101 December 14, 2021 / 11:48 am

I dislike anything Macca with a passion and would gladly smash any CD with Wizzard, Slade, Wham, etc into smithereens.

• Fandango December 14, 2021 / 10:53 pm

Yes I am! 😂

12. Marleen December 15, 2021 / 8:32 pm

I only want to hear anything like Christmas music when I feel like hearing it, and I only like songs that don’t have the WORD Christmas IN them, nor references to a baby being born in a snowing landscape. One of my sons was born with snow coming down, but Jesus wasn’t. I wanted snow on that boy’s first birthday, and I joyously got it. But that’s a different story!

Comments are closed.