E.M.’s Sunday Ramble Prompt — Dreams

E.M. Kingston has started a new weekly prompt called The Sunday Ramble. It is based upon a certain topic. She asks five questions about that topic, that we can ramble on however we wish. Today’s topic is “dreams.”

1. Do you dream when you sleep at night?

Yes, I dream, but I rarely remember them for more than a minute or two after I wake up.

2. Do you wish that dreams were portals to other worlds to explore? Where would the portals go if you wished for them?

I don’t know about dreams being portals to other worlds, but I would say they might be doors to my subconscious or perhaps windows into my imagination. I wish that I could remember my dreams better than I can.

3. If you could talk to anyone in your dreams, who would it be and why?

Actually, since I probably wouldn’t remember the dream, I don’t have an answer. That said, I do remember one dream with Abraham Lincoln, but I have no idea why.

4. What is the greatest dream you have ever had? (If you do not dream, share something great that has happened in your life.)

I have a recurring dream in which I can fly. I start walking, lift my arms toward the sky, and suddenly I’m heading up, floating above the ground, rising above the trees, looking down at the landscape below. It’s exhilarating to be free from the tethers that bind me to the earth below. I have no idea how I gained this incredible ability to fly, and while I’m up there savoring the experience, I am occasionally troubled by what might happen if this amazing gift of flight were to leave as suddenly and mysteriously as it appeared. But it never does, and, when I wake up, I am saddened that it was but a dream.

5. Do you believe that dreams have a purpose?

I think dreams help our unconscious minds sort things out and process our experience and perhaps even filter and store our memories.

24 thoughts on “E.M.’s Sunday Ramble Prompt — Dreams

1. donmatthewspoetry December 12, 2021 / 9:32 pm

‘I have no idea how I gained this incredible ability to fly’

Maybe you been drinking the hard stuff at bedtime?….

2. donmatthewspoetry December 12, 2021 / 9:35 pm

Yes, you did have a dream with Abe (just recently)

You were both shaking your head at the state of the nation…rememba?

3. emkingston December 12, 2021 / 10:41 pm

*still laughing that Jim was trying to get you to jump off ya roof* Hey Fandango! I have those flying dreams, and I think I am usually spirit traveling when I do it. There are other times I am flying an aircraft of some sort, and then I start free falling from being pushed out of the plane. Crazy thing is that I love flying. Thanks for joining in on the dreamy rambles! I enjoyed your dream of flying! Please don’t jump off the roof!

4. Terveen Gill December 13, 2021 / 12:40 am

Nice ones. I usually dream that someone’s trying to kill me. My subconscious is in overdrive. Haha!

5. Nope, Not Pam December 13, 2021 / 1:01 am

I used to dream about Hector the road safety cat. Someone knocks all his teeth out. I had this dream reoccuringly for almost a year.

• Fandango December 13, 2021 / 10:40 am

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Hector the road safety cat.

• Nope, Not Pam December 13, 2021 / 11:49 am

An Australia catastrophe

6. Claudia December 14, 2021 / 8:51 am

I would love to have that dream, in which I can fly, as well. Too bad, I guess it’s not meant for everyone. But my reality based romantic dreams are equally enjoyable, so it’s all good 🙂