SoCS — A Clean Slate

For this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, Linda G. Hill has given us the word “trees.” She asks us to use the word “tree” or write about a tree. Any kind of tree.

I thought I’d write about not just one tree, but about the dozen trees that we planted in our backyard as part of a major landscaping project we undertook this past year. Here’s the story.

When my wife and I moved into our current home in early 2020, our backyard was a field of hard, dry clay. Our house was a flip, and the flipper decided to leave it up to the new owners to landscape the yard anyway they wanted to, so he covered the clay with a black tarp. He called it “a clean slate.”

About a year ago, we decided to turn our tarp-covered backyard into a green paradise. We removed the tarp, tilled the clay, added topsoil and nutrients, planted ground cover, grasses, plants, shrubbery, and around a dozen decent-sized trees where there was nothing but clay before. We even constructed a waterfall with a pond to attract birds who drink from and bathe there.

Here is a recent photo of just a small portion of our lush, landscaped yard as it looks today.

I can’t describe how much pleasure my wife and I derive when we sit on our backyard deck and look out upon the natural, park-like tranquility we have created.

29 thoughts on “SoCS — A Clean Slate

1. Maggie December 11, 2021 / 6:01 am

What a calmer and more beautiful place with the addition of trees. Just lovely.

2. donmatthewspoetry December 11, 2021 / 6:42 pm

I haven’t heard the term ‘flip’ and ‘flipper’ before?….you certainly have made a difference..

Think my little friend has landed on the wrong site

I am tree
    Next year I four
    My rhyme is fin
    I’m out the door

I’m teaching him to speak proper Fan but not easy…..guess he’s only tree

• Fandango December 11, 2021 / 10:23 pm

A flipper is someone who buys a distressed (in most cases) property (aka fixer-upper), renovates it, and then sells it for a profit. What they do is “flip” the property.

3. Nope, Not Pam December 12, 2021 / 2:11 am

Wow, what a transformation, it’s divine

4. Marleen December 20, 2021 / 12:35 pm

Your view is really, really wonderful. I’m sure the project was a joyful process, too.

• Fandango December 20, 2021 / 10:14 pm

It is a great view, but the project took longer than I was expecting. But now that it’s done, it is a joy.