Ballroom Dancing Lessons

Upon reflection, I will admit, without hesitation, that I can’t dance. My wife knows this, but she still keeps begging me to take her out dancing. The truth is that the whole idea of dancing intimidates the hell out of me. It’s as if I have two left feet.

The last thing I want is to allow my fear of dancing spoil my marriage, so I have agreed to go with my wife to a ballroom dancing class this winter at the local senior center. Knowing me, though, I’ll probably just end up standing on the sidelines with my hands in my pockets, which will undoubtedly piss my wife off.

Wish me luck. I’m gonna need it.

This totally fictitious tale was written for these daily prompts: The Daily Spur (reflection), Word of the Day Challenge (hesitation), My Vivid Blog (dance), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (intimidate), Your Daily Word Prompt (spoil), E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (winter), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (pocket).

18 thoughts on “Ballroom Dancing Lessons

1. Nope, Not Pam December 9, 2021 / 10:35 pm

I always wanted to do that 😁

2. donmatthewspoetry December 10, 2021 / 12:56 am

Fictitious? I don’t believe you…….

Why take up ballroom dancing?
    It’s really such a bore
    Have a go at rock and roll
    You will come back for more…

You’ll need to go somewhere other than the senior’s centre though….

Completely fictitious…..

• Fandango December 10, 2021 / 5:59 am

I mastered the waltz, the foxtrot, and the cha-cha, but the tango had me flummoxed.

• donmatthewspoetry December 10, 2021 / 2:09 pm

The tango is a dance of passion so you’re entitled to be flummoxed. My choice is rock and roll – live and let fly…fits hey?

• Marleen December 14, 2021 / 12:01 am

Don’t know if you watch Dancing with the Stars. It was fun to see a diff between ballroom tango and the Argentine.

• Fandango December 14, 2021 / 10:20 am

Sorry, I’ve never seen that show.

3. bushboy December 10, 2021 / 2:11 am

Good one Fandango. Thanks for joining in 🙂 🙂

4. Eugi December 10, 2021 / 7:58 am

Excellent take! Keep on keepin’ on.

5. rugby843 December 10, 2021 / 8:07 am

Years ago we incorporated lessons into a date night. We would go practice at clubs in Houston. It was fun

Sent from my iPhone

6. Marleen December 10, 2021 / 9:20 am

I took ballroom and Latin dance lessons at approximately year 2000. It wasn’t at the senior center, but a lot of seniors were involved; it was a community organization that put out the contact information. My oldest son took classes through that community contact organization, but not dancing.

I had fun. But I decided there was no point since my husband wasn’t involved. Disturbingly, having taken ballroom dancing was something he shared with me as a plus about himself when we met. You don’t have to be Fred Astaire, just go through the movements. It is fun. But…

I ended up as a reflection of what Don Matthews said. While driving to or from, I heard Chris Cornell on the radio. Then I was, for years or almost two decades, very into Audioslave and Soundgarden and other groups he was part of. Yeah, it was a midlife crisis. But, man, I was into it. Great outlet.

• Marleen December 10, 2021 / 11:26 am

What Makes This Song Great? Ep.10

~ SOUNDGARDEN · 3 years ago ~

7. Marilyn Armstrong December 10, 2021 / 5:01 pm

Now Garry, who absolutely cannot dance and being deaf also can’t sing, would take the lessons anyway and be completely unembarrassed by it. He’s turning 80 in the spring. I think he has decided he’s too old to be embarrassed. He has a point.

8. Carol anne January 14, 2022 / 9:11 am

Lol I am imagining you now, hands in pockets, standing off to the side watching all the dancers! Xx

Comments are closed.