Truthful Tuesday — Do You Like Me?

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. Frank is changing things up a bit on this Truthful Tuesday prompt. Instead of asking us specific questions, he is giving us a topic and asking us to discuss it. This week’s topic is the “Like” button. Frank wants to know…

How important are likes to you on your blog, and how do you determine if you are going to click like on other bloggers’ posts?

It’s nice to be liked, but the truth is that, when I look at my notifications on my iPhone, I don’t even bother with Likes. I just look at Comments.

From my perspective, between Likes, Comments, and Followers, Comments is the only true metric that matters. It is the best indicator of whether or not what I write resonates with those who read my posts.

Views just tell me that someone came across my post, either on the web or by seeing it on their WordPress reader. Likes tell me only that a viewer clicked on the Like button. I’d like to assume that anyone who tapped the Like button actually read my post and, indeed, liked it. But that might be naïve. As Frank points out, “there is no way to know for certain if those who clicked the Like button actually bothered to read the post, or were just acknowledging that they saw it.”

Followers is a useless number. According to WordPress I have more than 4900 followers. But I typically get fewer than 500 views a day, so why do people bother “following” my blog if they never read my posts?

Frank contends that blogging is not conversation. He says that it is communication. Technically I suppose he’s right. Blogging is a form of one-way communication from the blogger to his or her readers. But Frank admits that, “at least with comments, there is some indication that communication is happening.”

So to answer the first part of Frank’s question, I appreciate Likes, but they are not that important. On the second part of his question, I only Like a post that I have actually read and that I genuinely liked.

37 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Do You Like Me?

1. msjadeli December 7, 2021 / 10:40 am

I admit to hitting like on posts I haven’t read. That said, I would never comment on a post as if I’d read it if I hadn’t. I agree that comments are the only thing that matters to me, not followers or likes as there is no interface. Comments take lots of forms and some are definitely dialogue.

2. Ruth December 7, 2021 / 11:01 am

I always hit ‘like’ if I’ve read a post and I liked it – otherwise I just click to leave the page. If I’ve got something particular to say about the post I’ll write a comment, but being an introvert often I don’t have any comment to make… Reasons for me not ‘liking’ a post include me disagreeing hugely with the writer’s opinion or viewpoint (on politics, religion, or any other contentious subject) or finding the topic of the post boring or sometimes just culturally irrelevant to me or… well, anything like that really! 🙂

3. rugby843 December 7, 2021 / 12:12 pm

I think comments are also the key if someone has actually read the post.  However, I have to go through a lot of WP rigmarole to do it. 😵‍💫

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 10:35 pm

Yeah, I can relate to that, and as a result, I don’t comment as much as I used to.

4. KL Caley December 7, 2021 / 12:25 pm

Interesting. I think I agree, comments are the fuel for the creator. They are also what helps build the community, I think. I do click like when I’ve read something and liked it. I try to click through new followers blogs and check out their content too when time allows. Great post. KL ❤️

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 10:37 pm

Thanks, KL. I do the same for new followers when, as you say, time allows.

5. Faye Arcand December 7, 2021 / 1:02 pm

Excellent post. I try and comment as much as I can. May have to share this post to get people thinking.

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 10:42 pm

Thanks, Faye. I like to comment, but I’m often reading posts late in the evenings, so I’ll read the comments others have already made and, if another commenter writes essentially what I would have written, I won’t “pile on” by making a similar comment just for the sake of commenting.

• Faye Arcand December 7, 2021 / 11:28 pm

I hear ya. I do the same thing. However, after reading you’re post i do believe that leaving a comment calling, so to speak is the way to deal it. Something like. I really enjoyed this post. Thx. Do you know what I mean? 🤔

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 11:35 pm

I do know what you mean. That works.

6. leigha66 December 7, 2021 / 1:13 pm

I never like a post I haven’t read, but I know there are some out there who do. Because of that likes are not as reliable as a measure of your “worth” as a writer/blogger. But the comments people take time to put down make it more personal and a two way conversation many times.

• Lou Carreras December 7, 2021 / 3:12 pm

I like more posts than I comment on, and normally it’s a matter of how much time I have available. I read lots of your posts because I find your content stimulating and diverse. I don’t comment too much because I still work full-time, run a part-time business, and then try to write. I literally grab minutes in the day to keep up with the posts I follow, because I do follow people who interest me. But, many days there is too much competition.

I agree that views are pretty meaningless. But I do tend to pay attention to the insights and the ratio of views to likes, as well as the views per day which at least gives me an estimate of “market penetration” in a way.
      I’ve had a blog since 2018, but only started getting serious about it when I got Covid, and was housebound and then working remotely.

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 11:16 pm

I wish I had more time to comment on the posts I read and enjoy, like yours, where you make great use of a number of daily prompts, but my wife thinks I spend too much time on WordPress, so I don’t comment as much as I’d like to. I agree that views per day can serve as a good barometer for activity on one’s blog.

7. Sadje December 7, 2021 / 7:24 pm

I like most of the posts I read to show the writer that I visited.

8. Ritish Sharma December 7, 2021 / 7:57 pm

True that. Comment is the only way to know how many people are actually reading it.
    Otherwise, a lot of them just randomly liked all the posts appearing on the readers feed.

9. Silver Stone December 7, 2021 / 8:53 pm

Yup, that’s so true. Comments are the best way to get to know your readers well, and share their views on your post. In short, it shows how many people actually took the time to read your post

10. Nope, Not Pam December 7, 2021 / 10:15 pm

I agree, I had lots of followers on my old site but no one ever visited. So I ditched it, best thing I ever did

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 11:31 pm

And now you’re here and are doing quite well.

• Nope, Not Pam December 8, 2021 / 1:11 am

I’m enjoying it again 😊

11. Renard Moreau December 7, 2021 / 11:54 pm

🙂 Well, Fandango, you are supposed to press the “Like” button on a post that you actually liked.

You and I both know that there are bloggers who abuse the “Like” button (And, it is comforting to know that you are not one of them).

Do enjoy the rest of your day, my friend.

12. animar64 December 8, 2021 / 1:14 pm

According to my likes and comment counts I should pack it in today because those numbers are not good.

Still. I enjoy writing so that’s why I blog and if people like it or leave me a nice note, that’s icing on the cake.

I would like to comment more on the posts I read, but there are days when all I have the time to do is write and read. So I use the like button. I NEVER hit that unless I’ve read the post. I would like to grow my blog, but I haven’t found a system to work with yet.

13. lssattitudeofgratitude December 8, 2021 / 10:24 pm

I don’t “like” posts I haven’t read. I enjoy reading posts. It is true that often others have written a comment that I would have written. Comments over likes for sure.

14. Terveen Gill December 9, 2021 / 12:54 am

It’s nice to have a like and nicer to have a comment. Would hope that both are genuine or else it’s just for nothing. 🙂

15. Shelly DS December 20, 2021 / 2:07 am

Definitely food for thought… but I think for those monetizing, the numbers do matter – at least to brands

16. Carol anne January 12, 2022 / 7:25 pm

I never like a post unless I’ve read it and it resonates with me, or I am an avid follower and reader of that persons blog. I do love to comment though, as you might have noticed Lol!