TMP — Junk Mail

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off.

I know that today is Tuesday and I wasn’t planning on posting a Monday peeve yesterday because I was in a fairly good mood for most of the day. Then I went to my mailbox at the end of my driveway late yesterday afternoon and my mood changed.

What I found stuffed into my mailbox had to be ten pounds worth of junk mail. Catalogs from Lands’ End, L.L. Bean, Lamps Plus, The Sharper Image, and a number of other retailers were crammed in there. Also, there were at least four different catalogs from children’s toy companies because my wife has ordered kids’ toys for our grandchildren.

And in addition to all the catalogs, there were leaflets, brochures, and fliers ranging from senior living communities to the local shopper’s guides to home improvement services to real estate agents.

These catalogs and other pieces of junk mail move, unread, directly from my mailbox to my recycling bin. As far as I’m concerned, anything in my mailbox that doesn’t contain a check gets tossed.

And I get steamed thinking about what a total waste of not only my time, but of resources (e.g., paper, ink) all of this crap consumes. How many forests were destroyed to produce all of these catalogs and junk mail? Even the hapless mail carriers get overloaded having to deal with tons of junk.

So yeah, I’m a day late with my Monday peeve, but I’m peeved nonetheless.

20 thoughts on “TMP — Junk Mail

1. Sadje December 7, 2021 / 6:58 am

My thoughts exactly! What a waste of resources.

2. newepicauthor December 7, 2021 / 9:34 am

I was just looking through The Sharper Image catalog and they have some pretty neat stuff in there. I am thinking about getting this device which will alert me when my mail is delivered and that way I won’ have to go out and check it till it comes.

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 10:45 am

I can tell when my mail is delivered when I receive a notification from my doorbell camera that the mail truck drove by.

3. rugby843 December 7, 2021 / 10:09 am

Mine cut down tremendously after not ordering anything from anywhere

Sent from my iPhone

4. rugby843 December 7, 2021 / 10:10 am

Either that or they accessed my bank account and knew it was a waste to send them😂

Sent from my iPhone

5. pensitivity101 December 7, 2021 / 10:33 am

With you on this Fandango, but our poor Posties are laden down with junk mail for every household sometimes and it is indeed, a waste of resources, their time, and puts a strain on their backs as they have to carry the damn things!!

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 10:32 pm

I know. And most of that crap they have to lug around gets tossed without being read.

6. bushboy December 7, 2021 / 1:28 pm

I am with you 100% about the waste of the resource Fandango 😡

7. leigha66 December 7, 2021 / 2:02 pm

I especially hate if you order once and all year long you get your “last chance” catalog every month! Another thing I personally get peeved about… my dad has nearly been gone 3 years now and I still get mail for him. Even medicare plans trying to get him to sign up… shouldn’t that all be record that he is gone? But I know someone else that said it was 10 plus years and she still got stuff. It is annoying, especially when he gets more mail that me some days! Ha, ha, ha!

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 10:49 pm

Yes, it is annoying to get catalogs regularly from companies that I bought one thing from years ago. I’m sure that they’ve spent more money over the years sending me their monthly catalogs than I spent on my one and only purchase of their item.

8. Lou Carreras December 7, 2021 / 5:15 pm

I get peeved when the not for profits I support use my donation to send junk mail to me begging for more money.

• Fandango December 7, 2021 / 7:15 pm

You’re on their lists!

9. Nope, Not Pam December 7, 2021 / 10:24 pm

When I lived in the country we didn’t get any leaflets, I was so excited to receive them when we moved. Needless to say, that was short-lived

• Nope, Not Pam December 8, 2021 / 1:52 am

They make good wrapping paper 😁

10. Taswegian1957 December 8, 2021 / 1:29 pm

It is a waste of resources I agree. I rarely get it now except for the odd catalogue because we pick up our mail from the local shop.

11. lssattitudeofgratitude December 8, 2021 / 10:28 pm

I agree that it is a waste of time energy and resources. I too, get mail for the prior owner who lived here 35 years ago. It’s crazy.

12. Carol anne January 12, 2022 / 7:22 pm

dont blame you! I hate junk mail! The worst is when elections are coming up and all the politicians send out leaflets, vote for me, vote for me, give your number 1 vote to me! Its maddening!

Comments are closed.