Blogging Insights — Good, Better, Best

For her weekly Blogging Insights prompts, Dr. Tanya provides us with a quote about blogging or writing and asks us to express our opinion about said quote.

This week’s quote, like last week’s, is unattributed.

“Don’t be the same, be better.”

And, like last week’s, this trite quote also sounds like something you might find inside a fortune cookie.

I know that the message is attempting to motivate the writer to change things up, to dare to be different, or to at least try something different. The quote honestly reminded me of the almost meaningless slogan that Melania Trump came up with when she was the First Lady:

I’m going to suggest three alternative quotes that I think offer the same essential message but in more provocative ways. This first one is from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.”

This next quote that is often mistakenly attributed to Albert Einstein:

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

And this last quote is attributed to Henry Ford:

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”

I think any one of these quotes says it better than “Don’t be the same, be different.” Don’t you agree? Which one is your favorite?

13 thoughts on “Blogging Insights — Good, Better, Best

1. Paula Light December 6, 2021 / 7:28 am

I love all 3 of your quotes. The last two were very relevant to my past dating life 😜

2. Marilyn Armstrong December 6, 2021 / 8:06 am

I like the last one. I knew the other two already,so getting a new one was amusing and it speaks to me. Now,it is time to read my Pacemaker and send it to a doctor. Again. Another 3 month are gone — wherever did it go?

3. JT Twissel December 6, 2021 / 9:01 am

They all mean pretty much the same thing, don’t they? I like the insanity quote the best.

4. kajmeister26 December 6, 2021 / 1:43 pm

On the other hand, what’s wrong with The Same? If I like a grilled cheese sandwich and a cup of tomato soup, do I really have to “artisan” it (a verb I just made up)? Sometimes, our culture pushes us all to do something new just for the sake of it. Sure, we need to learn and grow or we die, but we don’t have to learn and grow in everything. Some of these viral quotes link back to our fundamentally capitalistic/communication culture, wherein messages all have this underlying marketing. Buy new! Planned obsolence! Be new because, if you’re not, then we can’t sell something more expensive. And then buy the t-shirt that says Be New! and the circle will close completely, with you inside, ever more in debt.

Sometimes you just want that same ol’ grilled cheese sandwich.

(Oh, you didn’t want a sociology lecture? just an opinion about the quotes? Be the Same!! that’s what I put on my fortune cookie….)

• Fandango December 6, 2021 / 5:49 pm

Nothing like a grilled cheese sandwich and a hot cup of tomato soup, especially at this time of year. 😉

• Fandango December 6, 2021 / 10:12 pm

That is a good one.

5. Terveen Gill December 6, 2021 / 11:22 pm

Really nice ones. They fit every person and occasion. 🙂

6. Nope, Not Pam December 7, 2021 / 1:24 am

I like the first, it provoked all kind of ideas 😁

7. drtanya@saltedcaramel December 9, 2021 / 5:31 am

I like all three versions although the one beginning Insanity…… is my favourite.
    I didn’t think much of today’s quote once I had posted it but Sadje has written a very good discussion.
    Thanks for your candid opinion. It is much appreciated.

8. Marleen December 10, 2021 / 8:21 pm

Although I commit typos and sometimes lack in editing of spell-checker mistakes and do other less-than-great things, I feel I write slightly better than I did when I started at your blog, Fandango. Just seeing things go out there has made me think in different ways about what I put forth.

Comments are closed.