MLMM Tale Weaver — Time

Stephanie Colpron, who hosts this prompt, would like us to tell her a tale about time. Like when we felt it slip through our fingers, or when we first realized how precious it is, or when we reminisced about a time of happiness or sadness. Alternatively, she suggests we may wish to craft a tale about time traveling, or time wrapping, whatever that is.

Yesterday afternoon, after a fairly active morning doing chores around the house, I developed a bit of an ache in my lower back. I decided to take a couple of Advil and to lie down in my bed, feeling sorry for myself because I am old and my body can’t do the things it used to be able to do. I was thinking that time is not on my side and the old Rolling Stones song, “Time Is On My Side” came to mind. I started humming it and thinking back to 1964, when that song was released. I had just started my freshman year in college, and back then, time was, indeed, on my side.

I had my whole adult life in front of me. Nothing but time. Plenty of time. I could waste as much time as I wanted to at that time and it was no big deal. Time was in abundance. There was a seemingly inexhaustible supply.

Back 57 years ago, when that Rolling Stones song was released, I didn’t worry much about time. I was invincible. Fast forward to late 2021. Now I’m quite vincible. Time for me is no longer in abundance as it was 57 years ago. There’s no longer an inexhaustible supply of time. In fact, if I’m lucky, I may get five more years of time before I simply run out of time. If I’m very lucky, maybe ten years. Any more time than that might not be such a good thing, especially if I run out of money before I run out of time.

That said, I’m not obsessed with time — or with dying. I’m not creating a bucket list of wild and crazy things that I feel I need to do while there’s still time. I prefer to spend whatever time I have left chilling. Just relaxing these old bones in the comfort of my home. (And okay, yes, figuring out how to ride my new e-bike without killing myself.)

As to crafting a tale about time traveling, as Stephanie suggested, I think maybe I’ll save that for another time in the future. Or maybe in the past.

20 thoughts on “MLMM Tale Weaver — Time

1. bushboy December 5, 2021 / 2:19 pm

I know that feeling well Fandango. Gone are the days I can work outside all day.

• bushboy December 5, 2021 / 6:58 pm

Well I like it where I am now. Have everything I need to be comfortable and happy. It’s just a few of the physical things and stamina I guess. I would welcome a return to a world of unpaid labour in return for being fed, fuel and reasonable expenses and only a couple of days a week

2. Carol anne December 5, 2021 / 6:22 pm

You made me tear up! I dont like thinking about my blogging friends not being here any more. Xx

3. Sadje December 5, 2021 / 7:19 pm

I thought that when we grow old, we can waste as much time as e we like!

• Fandango December 5, 2021 / 10:08 pm

We can, but when you reach a certain age, you realize that you might not have that much time left to waste.

• Sadje December 5, 2021 / 10:14 pm

But i was looking forward to doing just that. You’ve dashed my hopes!

• Fandango December 5, 2021 / 11:07 pm

It’s true. When you grow old and are retired, you can certainly choose to wasting as much time as you want as long as you recognize that your time is limited. My philosophy is that I would rather put my remaining time to some sort of productive use than to waste it.

• Sadje December 5, 2021 / 11:13 pm

You’re right Fandango. We should do something constructive with ourselves and our time.

4. donmatthewspoetry December 6, 2021 / 1:54 am

Yes, in our youth we don’t think about how many years ahead. Live and make merry. It all changes when we become older. Suddenly you think. what you could have left? My mum lived to 100. Have I got the same genes? Hope so.

Interesting, but some are not worried about dying……

5. leigha66 December 30, 2021 / 12:43 am

I would say you have a good ten years easily… you seem active and very connected with a vast knowledge still functioning well. I will not let you leave us without our leader against DT. Ha, ha!