One-Liner Wednesday — The Difference Between Liberals and Conservatives

“Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions; conservatives feel they deserve everything they’ve stolen.”

Mort Sahl, Canadian-American comedian, actor, and social satirist

Written for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt.

28 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — The Difference Between Liberals and Conservatives

1. Marleen December 1, 2021 / 10:29 am

Oh, they believe they deserve MORE than what they have already stolen. That’s one reason why, when somone like Jeff Bezos is called a liberal, I know people are rather confused about the meanings or realities. I will throw this in, too, that I was thinking about yesterday. Military contractors have cheated us (getting very rich within end in sight of new wars) and driven (to a large extent while oil was another driver) our “defense” decisions for a long time. I remember Hillary, in one of her debates, dangling Kissinger (from the seeds of that/this era) as one of her main go-to people. And she got a response of near shock that she mentioned him. She sort of rolled her eyes and said, “Well… okay,” shrugging her shoulders.

• Marleen December 1, 2021 / 11:31 am

Correction: (getting very rich with NO end in sight of new wars)

• Marleen December 1, 2021 / 12:49 pm

Had to look this guy up. He’s got it pegged.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mort_Sahl Television host

Steve Allen said that Sahl was “the only real political philosopher we have in modern comedy”. His social satire performances broke new ground in live entertainment, as a stand-up comic talking about the real world of politics at that time was considered “revolutionary”. It inspired many later comics to become stage comedians, including Lenny Bruce, Jonathan Winters, George … [and more]. Allen credits Sahl’s new style of humor with “opening up vistas for people like me”.[4]: 545

• Marleen December 1, 2021 / 12:55 pm

Sorry for my editing error: Steve Allen, not Mort Sahl, was the “Television host” in reference.

2. aguycalledbloke December 1, 2021 / 1:21 pm

Wow that’s kind of creepy how it could almost apply to the Conservative party over here as well.

• Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing December 1, 2021 / 5:06 pm

Oh it’s there now because I had to make a comment and sign in (yet again) for it to appear. WP suggested I use Chrome which is a nuisance because I’m a Safari gal . Oh and guess what? Score I can post this I ha e to log in again. Bloody hell 🤦‍♀️

3. bikerchick57 December 2, 2021 / 5:36 am

Isn’t that the truth. I’m so sick of the self-serving, narcissistic, immoral and sometimes crazy Republicans who try to steal elections and power by deceit and unethical means. The biggest problem, though, are those who continue to follow this party, believing it’s one of goodness and light. These times are so stupid and surreal…

• Fandango December 2, 2021 / 8:24 am

The Republican Party lost its goodness and light a while ago, even before Donald Trump was elected. Now it’s pure evil and darkness.

• bikerchick57 December 2, 2021 / 8:38 am

Agreed. Long ago, I voted Republican here and there, but that was when there was some decency in the party. At this point, I don’t know that I’ll ever vote for a Republican candidate again. I care too much for people and our land.

PS: If we can vote Ron Johnson out of WI and keep our Dem governor next year, it will be a very good day.

• Marleen December 2, 2021 / 3:35 pm

The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus (whose unwellness my dogs did taste) to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

• Marleen December 4, 2021 / 4:47 pm

Pfizer Lobbies To BLOCK Anti-Corporate Fraud Law After It Cost Them $2.3 BILLION In 2009 · 1 day ago

4. Marleen December 4, 2021 / 5:39 pm

Mike Pence Predicted To Challenge Trump For 2024 GOP Nomination, Tulsi Gabbard To Join The Fray? · 2 weeks ago

• Marleen December 10, 2021 / 8:46 am

Sixty Minutes Caught Lying about DeSantis Vaccination Program [actually helping him]

• Marleen December 11, 2021 / 6:25 pm

I’m putting this here because Sixty Minutes is mentioned again; this time, in a positive sense with regard to Sixty Minutes, even if negative overall for the habits of the medical world.

Long COVID, Lyme – Dr. Steven Phillips, Dana Parish (Authors of The Book Chronic) {Side note: Dana Parish is a musical writer.}