WordPress Responds

If you read my response last week to Paula Light’s The Monday Peeve, I was on a rant complaining how, for more than a year now, the WordPress iOS app for the iPhone was causing issues with my ability to both like and comment on some other bloggers’ posts.

I opened up a support message and attached a link to my TMP rant. This is what I got in response:

Hi again, Fandango,

Thank you for reporting this! I’ve tested this, and I could reproduce it on WordPress.com sites with a custom domain. In my case, I couldn’t like a post at all, even after a refresh. My “likes” didn’t get saved on the post, and this is frustrating! I understand how annoying this is. We will keep a close eye on this one.

This is similar to the issue that the WebView (Apple’s library for providing a web browser experience within an iOS app) doesn’t recognize that we’ve logged in to the app and WordPress.com. I have reported this as a bug to be looked into by the developers, but as you already know, I can’t promise you a timeline for when this will be fixed. However, I will highlight this to the team and hope they can prioritize this bug since it’s been happening since iOS 14 was launched.

Once again, thank you very much for your time in reporting this. We appreciate your patience while we look into this matter.

Note the “Hi again, Fandango.” Obviously this happiness engineer was one of those who was involved last year when I exchanged myriad emails with the support team. At least she agreed that this bug is frustrating and annoying. But once again, she seemed to be assigning blame to Apple for the issue. She committed, just as she did last year, to have the WordPress developers “look into” this, but failed to offer a timeframe for resolution. Again, this bug surfaced almost 13 months ago.

I wrote back and said this:

I hope your developers will give this issue a high priority. One of my blogging friends suggested that I switch from my iPhone to an Android device, but no one should have to do that in order to use the WordPress app for a smartphone. I’m sure there are many WordPress users who, like me, blog primarily on their iPhones, so this bug must be affecting a lot of us and is seriously detrimental to our WordPress blogging experience.

Here’s the response I received…from a different happiness engineer:

I agree and we understand how frustrating this is. We will keep a close eye on this one. Thank you again for reporting it. We really appreciate that.

So things are pretty much as they have been for more than a year. An acknowledgment that there is a problem, that it’s frustrating and annoying, and that they’re going to have their developers look into it. And, once again, no ETA on when I might anticipate a resolution.

Déjà vu all over again.

26 thoughts on “WordPress Responds

1. Marlapaige November 30, 2021 / 12:01 pm

So far, I have actually not had an issue that I reported to the “happiness engineers” where they didn’t gleefully acknowledge that I am right to be irritated right before throwing their hands in the air and acting surprised and appalled that Apple/HP/Android/The Holy Ghost doesn’t just fix it.

• Fandango November 30, 2021 / 12:03 pm

Ha! I feel you!

• Marlapaige November 30, 2021 / 12:10 pm

It’s quite irritating actually.
        Perky, happy, useless…
        It’ like having Mickey Mouse gleefully tell you he just pooped in your shoe but doesn’t actually know what that means or how to help you, you should probably call Daffy Duck to help you.

OOOOO yes, I’ve had more than my fair share of back and forth with them. And I keep being told to use the internet instead like on a computer. Fine…. except I have and was actually on the internet on the computer when I wrote to them and took the screen grabs.

Across an iphone, a tablet, a laptop and two desktops. Across 5 different web browsers. Somehow…. somehow…. there was absolutley nothing that they could do. I should go find an empty field and dance the rain dance in hopes of such beautiful lightening as to forget it was ever an issue.

Yeah, I hate asking companies for help because they’re all the same, although WP is a league of their own!

2. rugby843 November 30, 2021 / 12:17 pm

I guess you should keep a close eye on this one F🤪🙄🤯. Whoever thought that phrase up? I have the 15.? iOS update bugging me from apple but I’m afraid to do it. The last update I did was WordPress and see how well that’s working🥸

Sent from my iPhone

• Fandango November 30, 2021 / 12:19 pm

I wish they would just leave well enough alone instead of pushing out all of these updates that often break as many (or more) things than they fix.

3. Vic Crain November 30, 2021 / 12:45 pm

It’s the Peter Principle applied to software. Improve until it becomes unusable. By the way, I’m looking to bailout of Bluehost. Lousy reliability, offshoring tech support to someplace in China, don’t need the grief. Any suggestions?

• Marilyn Armstrong November 30, 2021 / 2:11 pm

Check out substack.com. It ISN’T a clone of WordPress as most blogging apps seem to be. I don’t know how much reach it has, but I know at least one blogger who left WP and is using it.

• Fandango November 30, 2021 / 10:22 pm

I’ve heard some negative comments about substack and read some reviews that call it a scam, which, when I was thinking about finding another blog hosting site last year, I didn’t pursue substack.

• Fandango November 30, 2021 / 2:51 pm

I have no idea what Bluehost is, so I don’t think I can help. Sorry.

4. Lou Carreras November 30, 2021 / 1:00 pm

I don’t use my phone, but I use my Mac at home and I have the same problems. It seemed to happen around the time of the upgrade to Monteray.

• Fandango November 30, 2021 / 10:08 pm

Hmm. I think there may be a problem where the Apple operating systems and the WordPress app for Apple products don’t seem eye-to-eye.

5. Marilyn Armstrong November 30, 2021 / 2:08 pm

I got lucky and had a developer who actually fixed the thing that was broken. But that was sheer luck. otherwise, it’s pretty much like … well … nothing. I don’t even bother to complain anymore unless I really can’t get on at all. Otherwise, i just deal with whatever it is and eventually, they change everything anyway and the problem gets buried under new material. Nothing really gets fixed. It’s just buried under more application “improvements.” It’s a bad way to design software because when you build on unsolved problems, sooner or later, there will be a big crash.

• Fandango November 30, 2021 / 10:15 pm

I wish they’d test more before they put out updates to the app.

6. donmatthewspoetry November 30, 2021 / 2:18 pm

We are a happy bunch of
    Solve-it engineers
    Hang in there Fandango
    Come join us in a beer

burp……

7. newepicauthor November 30, 2021 / 4:01 pm

They never seem to resolve any issues, but they are always courteous.

8. Renard Moreau November 30, 2021 / 5:33 pm

🤔 Since you know that the WordPress App for the iPhone is problematic, I suggest that you do not use it for a while.

In the meantime, you can try accessing WordPress via the Safari web browser (Hopefully, it might enable you to like and comment on blog posts).

If the Safari web browser fails at those tasks, give Google Chrome a try on your iPhone.

• Fandango November 30, 2021 / 10:35 pm

I will give both Safari and Chrome a try. Thanks.

9. Sadje November 30, 2021 / 6:16 pm

Sometimes it works and I can like and comment on a post from the browser but not all the time.

• Fandango November 30, 2021 / 10:40 pm

For me, it works all the time for those who have “.wordpress.com” in their blog address. But not for those who don’t. For example, if I visit your blog, I can’t like or comment on it. I can only like or comment on it from the Reader.

• Sadje December 1, 2021 / 12:13 am

Oh I see. I never notice the blog address. Will do so in future.

10. leigha66 December 27, 2021 / 4:07 am

Absolutely ridiculous this has not been fixed in over a year now! I hope one of the above suggestions helped!

11. Carol anne January 11, 2022 / 3:16 pm

thats crazy! Those crappiness engineers sound like they were just trying tp keep you sweet! Saying what they thought you’d want to hear!
    I do hope they’ll fix the problem soon!
    xoxo