I Need Some Advice

Back in August, my wife and I made the move from a gas-powered car to an electric vehicle (EV), and we couldn’t be happier with that decision.

Now we are thinking about moving from our human, pedal-powered bicycles to e-bikes. We are senior citizens and we live in a fairly hilly area, and managing those hills on our traditional bikes ain’t so easy anymore. So we hardly ever ride them.

But with electric bikes, we can use the power-assisted functionally to help flatten some of those more challenging hills while still giving us a nice cardio workout using pedal-power on the more manageable terrain.

So I’m reaching out to you all. If you own, have experience with, knowledge about, or recommendations to offer regarding electric bikes, I’d love to get your advice or hear your stories.

18 thoughts on “I Need Some Advice

1. Mister Bump UK November 23, 2021 / 2:01 pm

Giant were always a good brand for evokes.

Incidentally the material I’m reading at the moment assesses ebikes to be more carbon-efficient than human-powered. The thinking is that the electricity used to power an ebikes might be renewable, certainly over time. Whereas the fuel used to power the human (I.e. the food you eat) is far less likely to be zero-carbon.

2. Carl Setzer November 23, 2021 / 2:10 pm

I live in the greater Seattle area, which is the home of Rad Power Bikes. I have a few friends who work there, and a know a few folks (non-employee) who adore them.

Here’s a video a friend of mine put together about his Rad bike (it is a few years old, though).

• Fandango November 23, 2021 / 2:28 pm

Thanks, Carl. I’m considering the Rad bike.

3. Jen Goldie November 23, 2021 / 2:17 pm

Johnny Strides trying out a new e-bike. He does walking and riding videos of Toronto.

Toronto Ebike Ride on The Movin’ Electric Bike (Aug 2021)

Sale link

4. donmatthewspoetry November 23, 2021 / 2:20 pm

Have you considered changing your humanoid form with a robotic form?

Simply e-recharge at the same time as your car……

And no more senior indigestion…..

(He’s full of bright ideas)

5. Marilyn Armstrong November 23, 2021 / 5:18 pm

Get tricycles. You can put a basket back there and go grocery shopping — and as you get older and balance is not as easy as it was, you won’t fall. And buy GOOD ones. The batteries in cheap one don’t last and the batteries are the big issue.

6. kajmeister26 November 24, 2021 / 7:53 am

They’re relatively expensive (as you probably know, >$1000+), so research them as you would a car. But I know several folks in the Bay Area who happily transitioned. And make sure there’s a bike store near by that can do maintenance. (I rode a couple on long tours in other cities and loved them but was unpleasantly surprised at the price, so haven’t made the plunge yet.)

• Fandango November 24, 2021 / 5:35 pm

Most of the ones I’m looking at are in the $1500 to $2000 range.

7. Tate Basildon November 24, 2021 / 10:41 am

I have no advice but your post has inspired me to replace the two beautiful mountain bikes in our garage that only saw the sunlight twice because we live in a hilly area. Thanks.

• Fandango November 24, 2021 / 10:41 pm

I can relate. I’d be interest, if you do get ebikes, what bikes you end up choosing.