SoCS — Shades of Gray

Every since I was old enough to start contemplating the world around me, I began to realize that it’s complicated. Our world, our lives, are complex. There is more to them than right or wrong, good or bad, light or heavy, bright or dark, black or white. There are a lot of shades of gray.

I’ve also seen that there are segments of our society — especially when it comes to politics and religion — which do see things strictly in black and white. You are either 100% with them or you are 100% against them. There is nothing in between. There are no shades of gray. There’s only black or white. If you don’t share their ideology or their beliefs, you are “the other,” which means you are their enemy. There is no room for negotiation, no room for compromise.

And I think this is very unfortunate. This view of seeing everything in either black or white and not being willing to recognize and accept all of the gray areas in between is destroying societies around the world by forcing people to choose between the extremes.

And that is not sustainable.

Written for Linda G. Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt. Linda has given us the words “black,” “gray,” and “white,” and asked us to use one, two, or all of them in our posts.

11 thoughts on “SoCS — Shades of Gray

1. Laura November 20, 2021 / 7:00 am

I love your take on the prompt. The pandemic forced me to do the hard self-reflection it’s been easy to avoid. I’d developed a fierce intolerance since 2016 but this time made me really think about what my dealbreakers are. Then I work on the gray stuff.

2. Maggie November 20, 2021 / 7:13 am

Thought provoking post, Fandango. I miss our ability to have a conversation where real ideas and thoughts are exchanged without threat of attack. It is a sad time, but one out of which I hope we can rise.

3. Paula Light November 20, 2021 / 7:37 am

Totally agree and it’s not just one side. The far left attacks Biden continually because he isn’t their ideal. It really sucks!

4. willowdot21 November 20, 2021 / 9:29 am

I agree, it pains me that so many people only see in black or white, no grey’s. No tollerence 💜

5. Lou Carreras November 20, 2021 / 9:33 am

Back in the sixties my friends and I grew tired of the angst of the political and cultural extremes. We decided that what was needed was to put the uncompromising ones into a large gym, lock the exits and let them fight to the death,
    That idea has attracted my interest again these days.

6. monica November 20, 2021 / 5:03 pm

the world will always disappoint. why i took the journey inwards 🙂

7. Marleen November 21, 2021 / 10:09 am

Nietzsche and the Nazis by Stephen R. C. Hicks (Full Audiobook)