Self-Defense?

Kyle Rittenhouse

Yesterday, after learning about the verdict in the Kyle Rittenhouse trial, I was angry and I wrote this post expressing my anger and frustration with the acquittal.

One commenter suggested that if I had actually watched the trial, I would have seen that “it’s a clear-cut case of self-defense.” I admit that I didn’t watch the trial, but I read about it and I still think that Rittenhouse got away with a double homicide and has now become a darling of the far right and white supremacist militia groups, who consider him to be an American hero and who will leverage his acquittal as a licence to openly shoot and kill other protestors of racial injustice and other liberal causes.

But the purpose of this post is not to justify my opinion or to criticize the conclusion that the commenter made on my post. My purpose is to post an excerpt from a statement written by the parents of Anthony Huber, one of the murder victims of Kyle Rittenhouse.

[The jury’s ] verdict means there is no accountability for the person who murdered our son. It sends the unacceptable message that armed civilians can show up in any town, incite violence, and then use the danger they have created to justify shooting people in the street.

No reasonable person viewing all of the evidence could conclude that Mr. Rittenhouse acted in self-defense. In response to racist and violent calls to action from militia members, Mr. Rittenhouse travelled to Kenosha illegally armed with an assault rifle. He menaced fellow citizens in the street. Though he was in open violation of a curfew order, Kenosha police encouraged him to act violently. Kenosha police told militia members that they would push peaceful protestors toward the militia so that the militia could “deal with them.” Soon after, Mr. Rittenhouse killed Joseph Rosenbaum. The police did nothing. Concerned citizens, confronted with a person shooting indiscriminately on the street, stepped in to stop the violence. Anthony was shot in the chest trying to disarm Mr. Rittenhouse and stop his shooting spree. Still, the police did nothing. Mr. Rittenhouse continued to shoot, maiming Gaige Grosskreutz. The police let Mr. Rittenhouse leave the scene freely.

Mr. Rittenhouse came to Kenosha armed to kill. Kenosha police encouraged him to act violently, and our son is dead as a result.

I couldn’t agree more with what Anthony Huber’s parents expressed in their statement. The outcome of this trial was not justice. It was injustice.

34 thoughts on “Self-Defense?

1. Mister Bump UK November 20, 2021 / 4:23 am

You’ll know more about this than me.
    What was the composition of the jury?
    Was it a majority verdict?

It’s one thing criticising it, but if the jury did decide based on race, how do you stop it from happening?

We have a similar problem here. Rape is near-impossible to get a conviction. It is presumed that’s because men on the juries will see the case from the man’s perspective. So how do we overcome that bias?

• Mister Bump UK November 20, 2021 / 8:07 am

I mean, possibly the solution is to load the juries. For rape, an all-women jury. Or, hold this guy’s trial in a big city, more likely to be multiracial. But for either is uncomfortable, too.

• Fandango November 20, 2021 / 9:49 am

The issue is that the American judicial system calls for a jury of the defendant’s peers. Not sure an all female jury of a male rapist would be a jury of his peers.

• Mister Bump UK November 20, 2021 / 10:07 am

exactly. It flies in the face of “justice is blind”.

But as we’ve seen, justice is not blind.

2. Carol anne November 20, 2021 / 4:49 am

I’ve been reading about this trial. I definitely think its not justice, and he got away with murder!

3. Rebellious November 20, 2021 / 5:52 am

The prosecution was incompetent. I’m not a lawyer, but that prosecutor shouldn’t be either.
    I knew as soon as they brought a witness who said Rittenhouse only shot at them because they pointed a gun at him first, the case was over. Insane.

• peNdantry November 20, 2021 / 6:44 am

If the prosecution acted incompetently, it may well be because they were paid to act that way.

Fandango said:

[…] one of the murder victims of Kyle Rittenhouse […]

I believe the judge declared early on in the trial that those killed by the accused couldn’t be referred to as ‘victims’ because doing so would presume guilt, or some such. That was the point at which I thought ‘yep, this trial is over’.

Totally insane, agreed.

4. Maggie November 20, 2021 / 7:24 am

I cried. I think the judge was at fault, too – dismissing important charges and endearing himself to the jury. I am hopeful they will sue him in civil court although the hope for justice has passed.

5. suze hartline November 20, 2021 / 8:24 am

I watched the trial…what a farce! Judge biased, prosecution inexperienced and afraid to call out the judge for his boas (“you can not call them Victims! They were rioters!”. Packed jury of republicans (voir dere culled out independents and democrats!!!!!). The guy got away with MURDER! I am beyond angry at this!

6. animar64 November 20, 2021 / 8:48 am

Without exception the people I know who said I would have agreed with the verdict had I watched the trial are the same people who I’ve gone to sport events with and stood in line for nachos without their hands over their hearts while the anthem was being played and also believe that Trump had the election stolen from him.Seriously. I don’t care what they think they saw.

7. Marleen November 20, 2021 / 9:46 am

On top of that, a charge against the killer was dropped because police saying there was a curfew in place didn’t count as significant enough, in the judge’s eyes, to consider it real or binding. Why exactly are we supposed to listen to police and fund them?

• Marleen November 23, 2021 / 11:27 am

[The Hill • Rising] Robby Soave: ACLU Condemns Kyle Rittenhouse Verdict, BETRAYS Liberal Principles {inconsistent with its own past}

8. emkingston November 20, 2021 / 11:04 am

The judge was on Rittenhouse’s side from the beginning. That’s the problem with things being so big on the media. It would have been absolutely impossible to find a jury and judge who had not heard of him or what he did. The cards were stacked in his favor from the get-go. The criminal justice system is trash because it works for white privilege. I didn’t watch the trial because it would have just pissed me off even more. He’s a murderer, and karma’s a big mean ole “you know what”. Someone will take matters into their own hands…street justice will be the only way he pays for his crime.

9. CARAMEL November 20, 2021 / 2:48 pm

I briefly saw the report on it. I don’t know how old he actually is, but he looks like a child. What on earth was he doing with a weapon like that? Did his parents allow him to access to such a dangerous weapon? I am bewildered. Somebody has to be responsible for allowing a youngster to have access to something so dangerous.
    I think he will likely need some kind of medical help himself, but I think his parents or guardians should be investigated for allowing him access to this destructive weapon.

• Fandango November 20, 2021 / 8:07 pm

His parents are claiming they didn’t know, but he’s only 17 and supposedly doesn’t even have his driver’s license.

10. dolphinwrite November 20, 2021 / 8:03 pm

A decent young man is free, and this is good for the country. He was trying to help, as all of us should, and the politicians went after him for self-defense. That’s the truth.

• Fandango November 20, 2021 / 8:15 pm

You can’t be serious. What “decent young man” (actually a teenager) brings a semiautomatic rifle to a highly charged anti-racist protest rally. His intentions and actions were anything but decent. What you wrote couldn’t be further from the truth.

• Lolsy's Library November 20, 2021 / 10:24 pm

One, he wasn’t actually asked to help. He and his mother, went over the border with guns, with no one’s permission to protect anything.

11. Lolsy's Library November 20, 2021 / 10:29 pm

That Judge was going to let him win from the start. He should definitely be disbarred.

12. Léa November 21, 2021 / 8:17 am

Unfortunately, many of us knew this was going to go as it did. Thank you.