Ideal Blogging Tips

In his journal entry for today, Rory has given us his list of ideal blogging tips. I’m reposting his list with my comment on each one.

Find the right location to create your content with very little stress

As someone who blogs exclusively on my iPhone, anywhere I have my iPhone with me is “the right location.” And since I always have my iPhone with me….

Make the ambience right to ‘write in’.

Hmm. What does Rory mean by the right ambience? Low lights? Barry White on the phonograph? Burning a fragrant incense stick? For me, since I can easily compartmentalize, the only ambience I need is my iPhone.

Identify your readership and keep them in mind when writing

I don’t have a specific niche for my blog, so my “readership” consists of anyone who reads my posts. Most of all I write to express myself. At the same time, I try to write engaging posts that anyone who stops by my blog will find interesting, informative, witty, and/or provocative. And that’s what I keep in mind when writing.

Find the right time of the day that works best to create content and have the time to spend on it.

I find that first thing in the morning before I get caught up in whatever the day has in store for me, or last thing at night before I go to sleep are the best times of the day for me to write.

Have a rough mental template in your head of the content you plan to write

When I respond to prompts from other bloggers, they — whether words, photos, songs, or other prompts — establish my “mental template.” Most of my other posts are more stream of consciousness posts.

Take the time to proofread, review and edit, spell and grammar check, and format you post before publishing

I always take these steps in an effort to make my posts both readable and error free. Unfortunately, my eyes often see what my brain expects them to see and my efforts to post a highly readable and error free post will occasionally fall short.

Ensure you have the ‘right’ headline, especially if not part of a series

This is, indeed, a challenge, as a strong “headline” (or post title) can be the difference between someone stopping to read my post or skipping over it. I often write my post before deciding on the title. But sometime I forget to go back and end up publishing my post without a title. That’s not good.

Use images where and when relevant

I concur. I generally include at least on image in every post.

17 thoughts on “Ideal Blogging Tips

1. donmatthewspoetry November 16, 2021 / 2:16 pm

‘Most of all I write to express myself’

I find sitting on the loo works for me…..

2. Marilyn Armstrong November 16, 2021 / 2:46 pm

I have a laptop. I have a lap. When I’m not sleeping, cooking, or eating — I blog or put pictures together for a later post. If I needed a special place to write or handle photos? I’d never get anything done.

3. Marilyn Armstrong November 16, 2021 / 2:48 pm

NO ONE is good at proofreading their own writing. Everyone sees what they intended to write, often missing what they really wrote. I always find all that stuff the next day which is why I like to program stuff in advance so I have a chance to find at least most of the typos and editing errors (you know, when you cut out a sentence but forgot a piece?). I really MISS having an editor.

4. Sadje November 16, 2021 / 6:30 pm

I follow your pattern rather than Rory’s. I also blog from my iPhone and the convenience is matchless.

5. wrookieschu November 17, 2021 / 1:01 am

Yes I love images!!! And I am also an iPhone blogger 🙌🏼 I just find it more convenient.

6. Books & Bonsai November 17, 2021 / 1:08 am

no two days are the same around here, so I’m just grateful that anything gets done, with or without lists…

7. Nope, Not Pam November 17, 2021 / 2:01 am

I don’t think I follow any of these tips. I literally squeeze my post creation in.

8. bushboy November 17, 2021 / 2:14 am

The “right” headline. Does that include click bait 😏

9. Laura November 17, 2021 / 2:00 pm

I find writer differences fascinating. I don’t blog nearly as well on my phone. There’s something about having a full size keyboard that helps ideas flow. Thanks for sharing these though – I definitely need to work on that carving out a time each day one.