Some Like It, Some Don’t

When I first started growing my beard while in graduate school, most of the girls I went out with were shocked that I did that, complaining that kissing me, with my stubble, was like rubbing their faces against gritty sandpaper. But then I met a woman who loved my whiskers. She confessed to me that she wrote in her diary that my stubbly face made her pulse quicken and gave her feel a tingling sensation in a sensitive part of her body.

Of course, I married her.

Written for these daily prompts: The Daily Spur (shock) Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (grit), Ragtag Daily Prompt (whisker), My Vivid Blog (diary), and Word of the Day Challenge (quicken). Photo credit: GettyImages.

17 thoughts on “Some Like It, Some Don’t

1. leigha66 November 15, 2021 / 4:16 pm

Your wife is right… beards on most men is an attraction for me as well.

2. Taswegian1957 November 15, 2021 / 4:37 pm

I am one of the no beard group. David used to have one for a while. I never cared for it, but I would never insist he got rid of it. It was his face after all.

3. Lou Carreras November 15, 2021 / 6:09 pm

I was a mustache man for many years and handlebars and waxed tips.
    Women either liked it or not, but it was neatly trimmed and well maintained.

• Fandango November 15, 2021 / 10:56 pm

My beard and mustache are, too. Neatly trimmed and well maintained, that is.

4. donmatthewspoetry November 15, 2021 / 6:27 pm

Sheesh! You ‘n me both into sensitive spots. I found spot first date, and yep, it was love at first sight. Marriage followed under a stubble moon. We are a happy sensitive giving/sensitive seeking couple. If I removed my beard our marriage would be over Fan. I’d be looking for a marriage guidance councilor in beard removal/marriage wrecking assistance……

• donmatthewspoetry November 15, 2021 / 11:54 pm

Are there smiley faces with beards? Yours looks beardless. Maybe beardy-face emoticon are just not in fashion. Like rhyme.

Now there’s one

I am a little beardy-face
        Smile emoticon
        But all my friends around me
        All their beards are gone

I like it. I wanna be myself. Not like all the other emoticon sheep……

What brought this on Fan? Blessed/cursed with a vivid imagination……

5. Marleen November 15, 2021 / 7:16 pm

👏🏻

I basically had (sort of) this conversation (just the part about respect for preferences) with my mother, recently. She brings up things I wish SHE wouldn’t. And she’s the grossed out (about facial hair) kind, which I’d nit to say she’s clean cut. She’s so freakin jerk loser. I wonder how many more toned I’ll say it. Anyway, she has (almost) no respect for preferences or much of anything else (except facade).

6. Nope, Not Pam November 16, 2021 / 12:54 am

Of course you did 🙂

7. pensitivity101 November 16, 2021 / 3:49 am

Hubby has grown a beard for the first time since we’ve been together. Nothing to do with keeping his chin warm or running out of razor blades……… an extra layer of protection wearing a mask. I’m not keen on beards, but he’s still the guy I love.