Share Your World — 11/15/2021

For this week’s edition of Share Your World, Melanie is going deep. I think she’s trying to steal my Provocative Question thunder, because he questions this week are quite provocative.

In your opinion, what should be humanity’s goal?

Like all other living creatures, the most fundamental goal is to survive, but unless we get our act together and take decisive, definitive action to combat climate change, secondary goals, like food shelter, health, and happiness, will be moot.

Are you hesitant to speak your opinions?

One of the reasons I started blogging was to freely express my honest thoughts, opinions, and perspectives. At the time, I worked at a very conservative firm and I quickly learned that discussing my views on politics, religion, or anything that diverged from their deeply ingrained conservatism, was neither welcomed nor appreciated. So I stopped “speaking” my opinions and started blogging them.

In what ways has society changed during your lifetime? What do you think caused these changes?

Society — at least segments of American society — has become much more intolerant, much more divided and divisive, and much more willing to embrace partisan politics and conspiracy theories over science, facts, and truth. Most of you are going to disagree with — and possibly be offended by — my position on what has caused these changes, but I blame it on organized religion, which teaches people to behave like sheep rather than individuals and to cling to those who share common beliefs rather than to be open to critical, rational thinking. Oh, also the reverence most of these conservative, religious people have for Donald Trump.

Now do you see why I am hesitant to “speak” my opinions?

If you had a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow this person to be your friend?

I would appreciate having a friend who was open, honest, and forthright with me. So yeah, I’d want such a person to be my friend indefinitely.

GRATITUDE SECTION

I am grateful to all of you who have passed on your positive thoughts and well wishes after I posted that I might have cancer of the prostate. Thanks to each of you.

9 thoughts on “Share Your World — 11/15/2021

1. leigha66 November 15, 2021 / 4:13 pm

I would take issue with a friend who speaks to me as I sometimes speak to myself when I am in a depressive episode… but most of the time I am pretty honest and kind, that kind of friend is special.

2. Sadje November 15, 2021 / 6:56 pm

I think everyone has a right to voice their opinions. They need not force others to think like them. Take care!

3. Nope, Not Pam November 16, 2021 / 12:57 am

I think religion isn’t the only cause. Educational institutions teach graduates to all think the same. They create just another mob of sheep

• Fandango November 16, 2021 / 7:22 am

True, students are taught to pass standardized test, not to think critically.

4. Melanie B Cee November 16, 2021 / 9:40 am

Thank you Fandango for Sharing Your World! I hadn’t heard the news about your possible state of health, and i hope the tests show it to be negative. My father had a scare when he was in his late 60s, but it turned out to be false. I know this is probably not appropriate, but my talks with the flying spaghetti monster will include you. ❤ (there, was that P.C. enough? 😉 ) I don't take offense at your stance on religion, you are an atheist and have been very open about your point of view. I do have one very small comment about that though. Generalizations about any group are generally inaccurate to some degree. In my opinion. You are more than allowed to have your opinion on your own blog of course, and yes, a blog is a great place to vent out our frustrations without being arrested or getting punched in the nose for spouting to the wrong people at the wrong time. O_o I had to deal with that yesterday 😒 as a matter of fact. No cops and nobody hit me, but I know the other person in the conversation thought I was batshit crazy at the conclusion. Wellll.. Have a great week and thanks so much for participating. I hope there's enough thunder left over now, because I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's PQ! hehe 😛

• Fandango November 16, 2021 / 12:50 pm

Thanks, Melanie. I’m glad you got the “parked domain” thing squared away.

5. Marleen November 20, 2021 / 10:10 am

“Obama PATRONIZES Young Climate Activists At Glasgow After BRAGGING To Big Oil About US Energy Boom • Premiered [on The Hill] Nov 9, 2021”

I can see what is being said in that presentation (above video), but I liked that Obama increased energy production — like it for at least two reasons: 1) it decreased our dependence on foreign oil for which we got into wars; 2) it showed (was one of the ways showing) that Republicans or so-called conservatives are not thinkers but racists.

• Marleen November 22, 2021 / 6:05 am

Ryan Grim: A Maniac In Riyadh Is Why Your Gas Tank Costs So Much To Fill • Nov 11 2021 [on The Hill]

6. Marleen November 23, 2021 / 12:21 pm

Posted 3 hours ago • “SHAMEFUL!” This Is How Bill Gates & Billionaires Are HIJACKING Our Future!