What You Don’t Know…

You know that old saying, “What you don’t know won’t hurt you,” right? Well, that’s just not true. I learned this week that there is something going on inside my body that I didn’t know about and it’s something that could, in fact, kill me. Let me explain.

About a month ago I had my first “annual” physical exam since 2019 (thanks to all this COVID crap). My doctor said that my blood test showed that my PSA count was high, which is often an indicator of prostate cancer in men. So as a precaution, he suggested that I get an MRI of my prostate.

When I got home from than annual physical exam, I googled “Prostate cancer” and was relieved when I saw the list of symptoms that included:

• Urinary frequency
  • Difficulty starting or stopping urination
  • Interrupted or weak or slow urinary stream
  • Blood in urine or in semen
  • Discomfort (pain or burning sensation with urination or ejaculation)
  • Intense pain in the low back, hips, or thighs, often present with aggressive or prostatic cancer spread to other organs

I was relieved because I was not experiencing any of the symptoms on the list. But, to humor my doctor, I went ahead and had the MRI. This Thursday, my doctor asked me to come in to discuss the results. The news was not great. The MRI showed two cell masses in my prostate and he said that at least one of them showed a strong possibility of being cancerous. Gah!

The next step is to set up an appointment with a urologist to have a biopsy, which will confirm whether or not either of the masses are, in fact, cancer. And if that’s the case, well, that’s when the “fun” begins.

So why am I telling you this? The news was unexpected and I’m kinda bummed out by it. And as I’m attempting to cope, I have found that I’ve just not been in the frame of mind to write my usual lighthearted, witty, engaging posts. So you’ll probably see fewer posts from me than normal.

I will still be keeping up with my prompts, but probably won’t be posting much more than that until I come to grips with my situation, which I hope won’t take too long.

63 thoughts on “What You Don’t Know…

1. Mister Bump UK November 13, 2021 / 4:17 am

One of my old cycling buddies, the guy I see for coffee still, had prostate and surgery right at the start of COVID. Asy questions, get in touch.

2. Alison November 13, 2021 / 4:41 am

Sorry to hear your bad news, but at least it’s now going to be treated and you’ll be in good hands.

3. pensitivity101 November 13, 2021 / 5:37 am

Thoughts are with you Fandango. We have several friends here who have been diagnosed with it and are responding to treatments varying from regular injections to surgery. Keep positive.

4. Irene November 13, 2021 / 6:05 am

Best wishes for accurate diagnosis and prompt treatment. Please keep us posted.

5. mariamichaela November 13, 2021 / 6:32 am

It’s still good that it was detected early. I do hope all will be good with the rest of the test results.

6. rugby843 November 13, 2021 / 8:03 am

I’m sorry and you know I’ve been through similar situations. Keep a positive attitude and my thanks go out to you for posting this. I think many men resist testing and hopefully your experience will encourage more to do so. My husband died of esophagus cancer with symptoms he ignored with a macho attitude. Good luck, try to keep positive and your sense of humor.🙂

Sent from my iPhone

7. chellebee53 November 13, 2021 / 8:06 am

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I hope everything turns out all right.

8. JT Twissel November 13, 2021 / 8:14 am

Hopefully it’s a false alarm but boy, so sorry to hear that you have to go through this. Best of luck!

9. kajmeister26 November 13, 2021 / 8:37 am

Extremely common–lots of treatment options. High rate of recovery. That may not make you feel better, but caught early, you’re going to be fine. Lots of positive thoughts on the interwebs for you, plus you have a lot built up in the Good Karma bank. Stay well.

10. emkingston November 13, 2021 / 9:31 am

I am sending some healing love and light your way. You got this, and we all have you!

11. Marilyn Armstrong November 13, 2021 / 10:50 am

They’ve come a LONG way in treatments and you live in a good area for getting top medical care. Hey, my heart stuff came out of the blue for me and I wasted a lot of time looking for some way to not do what I ultimately HAD to do. You have a good doctor. Be a survivor! I’m holding my breath for you,

• Fandango November 13, 2021 / 2:54 pm

My urologist is at the Stanford University Hospital and he’s supposed to one of the best.

12. bushboy November 13, 2021 / 1:21 pm

Hopefully caught early and no invasive treatment will be necessary. Sending positive vibes Fandango 🙂

13. leigha66 November 13, 2021 / 3:06 pm

Glad I decided to skip ahead a bit and saw this post today. As I have mentioned before I am a cancer survivor… I will welcome you to the ranks when you beat that SOB. Try to stay positive, it really does help. Best of luck!

14. SadiRose November 13, 2021 / 6:13 pm

I sure hope the tests come back benign. Keeping you in my positive thoughts. I’ve been down this road with my husband. He’s been cancer-free now 10 years.

• Fandango November 13, 2021 / 7:43 pm

Great news about your husband being cancer-free. What a relief.

15. Taswegian1957 November 13, 2021 / 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear this news. I wish you all the best and hope that the test results don’t give any further bad news.

16. Lolsy's Library November 13, 2021 / 9:47 pm

Oh my goodness! If it makes you feel any better, I’ve had a couple of uncles have it. They are all good now ❤ There is SO much they can do now!

17. abigfatcanofworms November 14, 2021 / 12:06 am

Sorry to hear that, Fandango. But hopefully, since you have no symptoms, it might mean you’ve caught it pretty early and it won’t be hard to treat. As somebody who has spent the past 8 months dealing with cancer, I really sympathise with your state of mind. It’s one step at a time. Even the most treatable types (in which I think I can include prostate) are still terrifying. My Dad is a survivor of prostate cancer.

18. Nope, Not Pam November 14, 2021 / 1:42 am

I hope everything comes back ok, keep sane 🙂

19. Terveen Gill November 14, 2021 / 5:57 am

I’m sorry to hear this. But you still have to get the biopsy. And it can always be negative. And there’s great treatment that can take care of this. Please stay strong. 🙂

• Fandango November 14, 2021 / 10:20 pm

Thanks, Terveen. I’m hoping the biopsy will be negative.

20. RuthScribbles November 14, 2021 / 6:22 am

Well that is scary for sure. My brother got prostrate cancer about 10 years ago. He’s 5 years younger than I am, and he is alive and well. I hope for you to not have the cancer, but if they say you do, know that it is survivable. ((hugs))

21. Jay November 14, 2021 / 8:41 am

Keeping you in my thoughts! If it helps, my grandpa had it and he lived a very long life (over 35 years) after diagnosis by following doctor’s recommendations! Here’s hoping it turns out to be nothing, and don’t worry about the blog! Your physical and mental health matter more right now!

• Fandango November 14, 2021 / 10:24 pm

Thanks for your kind words. It’s encouraging to hear about your grandpa. Thanks.

22. Shreya November 14, 2021 / 8:02 pm

Sorry to hear that. Sending lots of healing your way. Best wishes and you will come out of it healthy soon.

23. Dan November 30, 2021 / 7:06 am

One test result at a time. (Easier said than done.)

I’ve been dealing with prostate cancer for 11 years now and I’m still here. 😀 Do your research and don’t rush into any treatment decision. Each comes with its own pros and cons.

All the best.

• Fandango November 30, 2021 / 9:51 am

Yes, I’ve got my first consult with a highly recommended urologist this coming Friday and unless he feels a biopsy is absolutely critical, I’m going to probably opt for the “wait and see” approach. But I’ll see what he has to say.