Fandango’s Provocative Question #143

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

Think back to the year 2001 when you were twenty years younger than you are today. Are you a very different person today than you were back then? That’s what this week’s provocative question is about.

How much have you and your priorities changed over the past twenty years? If you’re on the younger side, answer from the perspective of the past ten years or even five years.

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

24 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #143

1. rugby843 November 10, 2021 / 8:35 am

I think the most impactful happening in the last twenty years was 9/11.  Its influence is still carried on today as will this pandemic.  Changes in my personal life have been too many to count in the last twenty years and in two weeks I’ll be making another one.  A blogger commented I should stop watching the news and that amazes me and makes me a bit angry.  Every day we see and hear what’s happening around us and should be interested and act upon what we can.  Otherwise go live in a cave.  My priority has always been to help my family and friends anyway I’m able.  You can be an active influence on your future, and others.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

2. Nope, Not Pam November 10, 2021 / 10:39 am

I was thinking the other day that not much has changed. The tedium of life just goes on and on. So in response to that question I’d say I’m still as depressed and dour, I just chose to share it very openly now.

• Fandango November 10, 2021 / 10:39 pm

I don’t know. You don’t strike me as being depressed or dour. If you actually are, you hide it well.

• Nope, Not Pam November 10, 2021 / 11:27 pm

We all hide the bits we don’t want anyone to see.

3. Marilyn Armstrong November 10, 2021 / 7:48 pm

Funny because I just posted about this. I will put a pingback to this post from my post since it pretty much directly deals with this exact question.

4. Marleen November 10, 2021 / 9:07 pm

Twenty years ago, I was right at the end of a congregation being one of my main interests in life. I still thought such was important, but had made peace with the idea that it wasn’t going to be a thing for me any more. There were a few reasons that I won’t get into, but the biggest one was that I had moved. I knew how difficult it is to find a place I consider up to my par. I had found that kind of grouping of people before, once. But, man…

And now I’m often amazed at all the constricting notions people have, whether they are religious people or not at all. One hang-up after another that has nothing to do with actual* decency. And then they just blab about disgusting things they’ve done like they had been so brilliant to choose those options. I see absolutely no reason to spend time aiming for being part of a denomination. I do like general affiliations like the JCC.

* My children were blessed with people who were considerate and practical, dedicated to the well-being of each other, and who had the same relaxed approach to faith as I myself. (I was blessed in my childhood as well.) I am so very thankful. I’m also pretty sure that getting religiously involved these days is mostly another way to encounter scammers. (I don’t mean all settings are so. But it’s the norm, now, in my opinion.)

It’s not only about church/synagogue though: https://apple.news/AqcSS1JJ_TXKHLj-Ty8hw6g

Monetary scamming, moral scamming, time that can be contributed to other measures. Instead, I am all and only about my family. Full stop. I’ve made a friend, though, who I’m considering going to visit in his new accommodations. He made it his mission to be responsibly kind to everyone around him at my elderly aunt’s and his retirement home. His health is causing him to be relocated. I saw them, today; he moves out tomorrow.