SoCS — Close Eyes and Point

For today’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, Linda G. Hill has challenged us to grab the nearest printed material to us when we sit down to write our post, open it up (if it’s a book, flyer, etc.), close our eyes, and point. Whatever our finger lands on, use that as our prompt.

I closed my eyes, opened up a recent issue of The Week magazine to a random page, and pointed my finger on that page. What my finger landed on was the photo above of actor Alec Baldwin.

On the set of a movie that was being filmed in New Mexico, Baldwin was practicing drawing a prop gun that should have been empty. Unfortunately, and inexplicably, it was loaded with a live round that shot and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured the film’s director, Joel Souza.

I’ll be honest. When I heard about this, the first thing that came to my mind was that some Trump supporter surreptitiously loaded the prop gun with a live round in order to set up and discredit Baldwin, who portrayed Trump in a demeaning manner on Saturday Night Live over the past two seasons. But when I thought about it, I realized that it was unlikely that anyone would really do that to Baldwin and that the shooting was a tragic accident.

And then I just read where Trump insinuated that Baldwin purposely shot Halyna Hutchins. Trump said on a radio show on Thursday, “In my opinion, he had something to do with it, but if nothing else, how do you take a gun, whether it’s loaded or not loaded, how do you take a gun, point it at somebody that’s not even in the movie, and just point it at this person and pull the trigger, and now she’s dead?”

Trump criticized the way Baldwin handled the gun on set and suggested that the actor might have loaded it with the live round. Trump added that while he doesn’t personally know Baldwin, his behavior toward reporters suggests that “there’s something wrong” with the actor.

Now I’m starting to wonder if the first thing that came to my mind after learning about this shooting might have been accurate.

31 thoughts on “SoCS — Close Eyes and Point

1. Alice DeForest November 6, 2021 / 7:03 am

I think it was just careless mishandling of a weapon, but who knows in todays world

2. grogalot November 6, 2021 / 7:16 am

He was practicing the draw. He wasn’t pointing at anything. The stupidity of handling a gun without checking… and pulling the trigger, why? Unthinking! He could have easily pointed at the ground and pulled the trigger. Why in hell do they have live rounds on a movie set? Tragedy. GROG

• Fandango November 6, 2021 / 9:33 am

“Why in hell do they have live rounds on a movie set?” That is, indeed, the question!

3. rugby843 November 6, 2021 / 8:07 am

Being an action movie fan I believe many accidents with props and stunts are not reported and covered up. Now everyone has a cel phone handy so every happening is usually “out there” immediately for the public to see. This was a tragedy and probably involved someone being careless with the firearm. Trump’s popularity might be waning and of course his followers hate the movie industry and its participants; maybe because he doesn’t have control over them- they already have plenty of money. I’m not making light of this and can only hope it serves as a reminder to others to be more vigilant.

Sent from my iPhone

• Fandango November 6, 2021 / 9:35 am

But is Trump’s popularity really waning? He’ll likely be the GOP candidate in 2024 and he may just win.

4. willowdot21 November 6, 2021 / 9:26 am

Please tell me why there should be live ammunition anywhere near a film set…. I just don’t see how it could be accident? Sadly this is not the first time this has happened. Well as it part of the American rights for all to bear arms I guess it might happen again.
    No civilian “needs” to carry arms. So sad. This is my opinion and I hope I do not cause any offence.💜

5. Marleen November 6, 2021 / 11:26 am

There were some thing like five hundred live rounds found on set. And there are not supposed to be any. Plus, an industry expert was on MSNBC and said that the appropriate type of gun for a set has smaller chambers so a regular bullet won’t fit in. Meanwhile, even blanks actually shoot something out of the “prop gun” — so one would never actually want to point at someone (or just wave the thing around) and shoot.

• Marleen November 6, 2021 / 1:30 pm

Correction: [ first that the “spell-checker” shouldn’t have made “something” into “some thing” but also ] https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alec-baldwin-shooting-armorer-hannah-gutierrez-reed-live-rounds/

……

Before handing the gun to Baldwin, [Dave] Halls yelled “cold gun,” indicating it didn’t have any live rounds, according to the documents.

Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza told reporters Wednesday he thought there was there was “some complacency” on the set. Investigators recovered from the set about 500 rounds of ammunition, including blanks, dummy bullets and suspected live rounds, and the FBI was examining all of the recovered bullets, Mendoza said.

On CBSN, CBS News security and law enforcement analyst James Gagliano provided a general description of the three types of bullets that police believe were on the set. “There’s a live round, which should never be there. That’s something that has powder inside of a casing, and it usually has a lead bullet or projectile at the end. That’s going to go out and harm somebody,” Gagliano said. “No. 2 would be what we call a blank, which means it’s got powder in it, it makes the noise, it gives the flash, but there’s no projectile in it. And No. 3 is a dummy round, and a dummy round is simply mocked up or designed to look like an actual bullet.”

• Marleen November 6, 2021 / 1:57 pm

And…

from 2017

……………

As we’re being reminded every day, being a self-proclaimed liberal dude doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re a good guy. Like so many others, it seems that Alec Baldwin’s blind spot is women — that and an unshakeable belief that he is always in the right.

………………..

• Marleen November 6, 2021 / 2:25 pm

Still, it’s quite bizarre for The Donald to see himself as having standing to criticize Baldwin’s strange behavior; sometimes, it takes one to know one, though. Yet… Donald Trump would stew over being makes fun of, even if by a hypocrite.

6. Lolsy's Library November 7, 2021 / 12:01 am

I don’t understand how they’re live rounds on a movie set. Surely we have the technology to use something else? I believe it was a accident. There have been so many accidents on movie sets, this one just had really deadly consequences. I feel so bad for Baldwin. We can’t get her back, but I hope they take the live ammunitions OFF of set now.

7. Nope, Not Pam November 7, 2021 / 2:11 am

It was a very tragic accident. Someone has lost their life and I feel for all people impacted. Conspiracy theories don’t change the outcome.

8. leigha66 November 28, 2021 / 6:26 pm

I don’t know that they have as of yet sifted out the answers why. It was tragic and could have been prevented by many safe guards that were not followed it sounds.