Friday Fictioneers — Eureka!

“Eureka!” Frank screamed. “I’ve projected a soul, proving that there is more to us than flesh and blood!”

Hearing Frank’s cry, others ran to where he was standing to find out what he was so excited about.

“Look!” Frank shouted, pointing to the white, ghost-like projection next to the wall. “That is the human soul.”

“Actually, Frank,” the chief scientist at the research lab said, “that is a projection, but it’s a spooky owl that was created for the Halloween party. Don’t be disheartened, though,” the chief said. “Someday, the esteemed Dr. Frank N. Stein will make history.”

(100 Words)

Written for Rochelle Wisoff-Fields’ Friday Fictioneers prompt. Photo credit: Douglas M. MacIlroy.

19 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Eureka!

1. Bill October 29, 2021 / 10:23 am

Smiling for two reasons. First, great little story. Second, I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed it.

• Fandango October 29, 2021 / 10:58 am

I didn’t notice it at first and my initial draft was totally different. But when I did notice it, I had to embrace it, and that took me in a completely new direction. The real challenge was to manage to stay within 100 word.

• Bill October 29, 2021 / 11:06 am

Always. Every week I must murder so many darlings to find the best 100. 🙂

2. James McEwan October 30, 2021 / 2:40 am

Yes, science is a tricky subject to prove at times. Poor Frank – keep the experiments going .

• Fandango October 30, 2021 / 7:54 am

“This is a fantastic example of how we adjust in our mind what we see to confirm our expectations.” Yes, that is what happens to me when I proofread my posts before hitting Publish.

3. Nope, Not Pam October 30, 2021 / 2:46 am

That made me laugh, great one Fandango 😁

• Fandango October 31, 2021 / 10:15 pm

Thanks, Li. I’m pleased that you enjoyed it.