Friday Fictioneers — Table Service

“Table for four,” the man said to the hostess.

She smile and said, “Right this way.”

When they got to the table, he said to the hostess, “This table hasn’t been cleared or cleaned yet.”

“Take a seat and I’ll send the busboy over to remove these items and set the table up for you,” she assured him.

The man was not happy, but it was the only free table, so he and his family sat down. But after waiting five minutes, no busboy showed up. “Get up. We’re leaving and never coming back here.” He and his family left.

(100 words)

Written for Rochelle Wisoff-Fields’ Friday Fictioneers prompt. Image credit: Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.

13 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Table Service

• Fandango October 22, 2021 / 10:58 pm

I guess he thought that wasn’t his job.

1. Nope, Not Pam October 22, 2021 / 12:14 pm

Must have been pre COVID. Now you’re just thankful to be allowed to eat out 😕

2. Marleen October 22, 2021 / 7:58 pm

Man-o-man. I went to visit my aunt (my mom’s twin) at her elder care home, last week. I stayed for dinner (as did my mom who was with me and I convinced). My aunt was so happy to visit with us, or to just have us there. I’ve eaten dinner with her (and her friends) there before. The service wasn’t anywhere near acceptable, this time, beginning with the fact the slightly messy seats and some debris under the table(s) hadn’t been cleared… from lunch time!

Everything was very slow and uneven. The servers weren’t even familiar enough with the menu for the night in order to hear what the residents said they wanted without repetition. The servers were rude to the residents repeatedly, including when the men tried to do what has been normal in their lives — stand up for others’ interests. Near the end, I couldn’t stand it any more. The residents weren’t getting their coffee with their desserts.

• Marleen October 23, 2021 / 5:49 am

It is! I’ve only scratched the surface. Even if I tell you more, there’s much more after that. All of these people (the residents) have very nice manners (besides, I’d guess, knowing they don’t have a lot of power at this point), so they were patient. I have nice manners too. But I had seen workers leaving with to-go boxes when the people paying for service (for a decent, actually very nice, living environment on the whole) hadn’t been served! Then, after my mother and I hadn’t gotten our entrees until the residents at our table were getting their desserts, and the residents weren’t getting their coffees and, then, my mother was brought her dessert but I wasn’t [as well as with the sounds of the rudeness non-ignorable in the end]… I got up from my seat and made haste for the nearest person who looked like they thought they knew anything. I was surprised to find that there was what looked like a supervisory woman leaning on a half wall very nearby just behind my side of the table. What was she doing/thinking? Sadly, the residents at this table (and I… and I don’t know about the rest of the tables) got instant coffee that evening. And I didn’t get my dessert until about fifteen minutes later, by which time I was eating my mother’s unfinished cake. When the woman came with my cake and saw what I was doing, she nearly reprimanded me. I won’t try to describe her tone when she asked if I took “her cake.” “Yes I DID, but I WILL take my own.”

The fella who most looks out for everyone as best he can (and is my aunt’s boyfriend there), bless his loving heart, got agitated with her attitude. I could see him ready to tell her off. But he was able to rest when he saw my expectation that she follow through and put the cake on the table.

• Marleen October 25, 2021 / 11:03 am

It has crossed my mind to clarify that the supervisory lady wasn’t “leaning on a half wall” to recuperate from work or because of feeling weak or anything like that. She was leaning at leisure and smiling.

• Marleen October 28, 2021 / 4:31 pm

If anyone prays, please pray for this guy (who “looks out for everyone” he can); he’s gone to a hospital (and I don’t know the details). Name, Bill.

3. leigha66 November 12, 2021 / 1:30 am

With covid there is no way I would have sat down… back in the past before covid though I might have sat down but I would have snagged someone walking by when the table was not rapidly cleaned.