Fandango’s Flashback Friday — October 22nd

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 22nd) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on October 22, 2017.

To Be Enlightened

Image result for kid with a gun

“I don’t understand,” Hal said. “It’s just a handgun and I got it to protect our home and family.”

“Okay, fine. I’ll enlighten you,” Rosemary said. “Statistics show that a gun in the home is more likely to be used in a homicide, suicide, or unintentional shooting than to be used for self-defense.”

“Oh come on,” Hal responded. “That’s fake news.”

“No, it’s not. It’s true,” Rosemary said. “Having a gun in the home is eleven times more likely to be used for attempted or successful suicides than for self-defense. It’s seven times more likely to be used in criminal assaults and homicides, and four times more likely in unintentional shooting deaths or injuries.”

“But we’d use the gun exclusively for self-defense,” Hal objected.

Rosemary sighed. “Did you know that, on average, nearly 5,000 children in the United States receive medical treatment in an emergency room each year for a gun-related injury? And about 21% of those injuries are unintentional. Almost 1,300 children die annually from a gun-related injury in this country.”

“Really?” asked Hal, genuinely surprised by the statistics.

“Yes, and in just the first nine months of this year, almost 3,000 teens and kids have been shot,” Rosemary said. “Now do you understand why I don’t want you to bring a gun into our home?”

“But….”

“But nothing. Either that gun goes, or the kids and I go.”

It was Hal’s turn to sigh. “Yes, fine, you’ve enlightened me.”

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “enlighten.”

42 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flashback Friday — October 22nd

1. Nope, Not Pam October 22, 2021 / 3:04 am

Fantastic Fandango, you’ve highlighted the truth superbly, while still producing an entertaining tale

2. Marleen October 22, 2021 / 3:54 am

I was surprised when my divorce lawyer had something about no gun(s) in the paperwork. It was okay enough with me, but I didn’t know if my husband would agree to it. Turned out, the way the law worked in that state, the decree/agreement just went into effect after a certain amount of time. Anyway, I don’t think I had told the lawyer the ridiculous story (even if parts are funny looking back) when my two-year-old was playing a computer game and called the police. You can see, below, that it says to call nine one one.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’s Adventure in Tinker Town

PC game by MGM Interactive (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.), 1996

[He wasn’t two in 1996. And it’s only coincidental that there is a gun in my story while the game has “bang bang” in the name. And, yes, I had thought I was buying something more related to the Disney movie… even though we didn’t do a lot of Disney.]

When the police arrived, they forced their way in; stepped on my bare foot in the process. My husband was asleep, and he had a gun under his side of the mattress. The officers went into the bedroom to see what was up with him — absolutely nothing. They immediately reached under him and found a gun. And he didn’t notice a thing; didn’t even wake up a bit. Oh, boy… would that gun have been a big help if there had been intentionally violent intruders.

😳 Not.

• lifelessons October 22, 2021 / 6:29 am

Wow..an amazing indictment of both guns in the house and all of the violence in internet games.

• Marleen October 22, 2021 / 9:46 am

I wasn’t clear enough. There was no violence that I recall in that game (some alarmed voicing, at times, though), just an idiotic command to call 911 (in a game for preschoolers clicking on hammers and such to learn to help out*). If I am ever a grandmother, I will not expose my grandchild(ren) to digital games or tablets before some older age I will have to think through to determine.

MGM named the game after a car (“Chitty-chitty-bang-bang” because the car backfired) in a very popular and fun movie, but the game didn’t noticeably pick up on that (other than the fact that there was an old-fashioned car depicted therein). Meanwhile, my son had not been exposed to the terminology “bang-bang” for guns… and didn’t know about the gun in the house, either.

In the states, if nine-one-one is called (probably especially by a child even if it’s by mistake or out of some unawareness), the police have a thousand assumptions to check out, and you’re in for the ride. It all worked out okay. I’m sure they were concerned about me, too, when I (rather petite) answered the door. They did their jobs; I wasn’t happy about it at the time. Oh, well. I cooperated.

The whole thing sure was and is an indictment of having guns in the house, though. I could qualify that to say … for someone who is such a heavy sleeper. But there are so many variables that can come up. I will say this, though: if the gun(s) and ammunition are only for in the case of public chaos and kept fully locked away, that might be different. Gun not locked up? That’s stupid.

(* Or, really, learn to click with a mouse and computer screen. Maybe the programmer(s) really wanted little ones to know, too, about the emergency number — while said code and product developers didn’t understand child development.)

• Marleen October 22, 2021 / 9:57 am

Clarification on:

I don’t mean the fact that the child was unaware of the gun (as was appropriate) but that he was unaware (as any toddler would be) of what the emergency number is all about, and that it’s not a game or for fun (except that the game made it seem a fun time was the point).

• lifelessons October 22, 2021 / 4:22 pm

yes.. I was referring to other computer games that involve shooting and fighting. Just too much violence in the media.

• Marleen October 23, 2021 / 7:01 pm

Ah, I see… that’s good.
            Some are pretty
            dreadful.

3. Sadje October 22, 2021 / 4:33 am

I wish more people will see the statistics and change their thinking.

4. lifelessons October 22, 2021 / 6:30 am

I would love to reblog this but don’t see a button to do so, Fandango. Both your essay and Chitty Chitty’s should have the widest audience possible.

• Fandango October 23, 2021 / 10:33 pm

Thanks Judy. Somehow this comment went into my trash folder, but I caught it before deleting it. I’m not sure what’s going on with the reblog button on WordPress. It’s either missing or not working when I visit many blogs, but if I view a post in the Reader (on my iPhone, anyway), I can reblog it. Weird, huh? Thanks

• lifelessons October 24, 2021 / 12:23 am

I put a comment on your blog that I reblogged it manually–copied a few paragraphs and then put a link to your blog.

5. Mason Bushell October 22, 2021 / 8:01 am

A great story that the world needs to read and be reminded about the truth of their guns.

• Fandango October 22, 2021 / 10:54 pm

Thanks, Mason. It’s too bad so many, particularly Americans, aren’t listening.

• Mason Bushell October 23, 2021 / 1:53 am

Too true. It seems no matter how many are shot dead, they will not do anything. I was told the gun club of America has too much power and always bribes governors and presidents to not change the laws and ban guns. Which is shameful.

6. wrookieschu October 22, 2021 / 6:23 pm

Love this idea! Thanks Fandango! I’m showing a post from 3 years ago and pre covid. Hoping we can see these kind of art installations again soon 🙏🏼🙏🏼

7. Marleen October 23, 2021 / 7:06 pm

Too bad about the accident on the set of “Rust” (whatever that’s about). The protocols were clearly not rigorous enough. I heard that a major crime series CGed in all of their gun blasts a year or so ago, so they wouldn’t be taking any chances.

• Fandango October 23, 2021 / 10:44 pm

Seems like quite a few shows recently have started using CG for gun blasts.

8. lifelessons October 24, 2021 / 12:20 am

Fandango, I just reblogged your article by copying a bit manually and then putting a link to your blog to continue reading it. This message needs to be spread.