Fandango’s Provocative Question #140

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

A lot of people in 2020, due to COVID-19 stay-at-home mandates, lockdowns, and closed restaurants, stores, and workplaces, relied on online shopping and delivery services. People used online services for meal deliveries, grocery deliveries, and for deliveries of everything from sundries to clothing to pet food to electronics, and to almost anything imaginable.

COVID has plagued us — pun intended — for more than a year and a half and in some areas, thanks to vaccines becoming widely available, things have started to open up. Many restaurants have reopened to serve patrons indoors. Many employers are having employees return to their worksites instead of working from home. Children have returned to attending classes at physical facilities rather than via Zoom classes. And many jurisdictions have eased up on mask mandates and social distancing restrictions.

So my question(s) this week have to do with online shopping for home delivery. Are you ready?

During the height of the pandemic, to what extent did you avail yourself of online shopping for meals, groceries, and other goods and services? If you did use online shopping and delivery services, now that things have eased up a bit, has your reliance on or use of such service continued at the same rate, increased, or decreased. To what extent?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

20 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #140

1. Marleen October 20, 2021 / 8:10 am

100% except I did go bodily to an appointment with my regular doctor once. I decided, also though, to begin a distance (tele-doc-type) doctor-patient relationship.

100% of my incidentals and groceries and meals are now bought the old-fashioned way. I still do shop online, only to the extent I already did do so before the pandemic.

• Marleen October 20, 2021 / 8:25 am

Thi doctor indicated that, since I’ve had the infection itself and medical vaccination, I might be truly immune for life. I, meanwhile, already started behaving that way a couple weeks after the second inoculative mRNA shot (so… in May).

Yesterday, on DBL (which I never heard of until being here in Saint Louis after my mother’s automobile aciident): Dr. Kohli on Gen. Colin Powell’s Breakthrough COVID-19 Infection, Booster Shots · 16 hours ago

• Marleen October 20, 2021 / 11:57 am

Infectious Disease Expert Dr. Klausner Discusses Naturally-Acquired Immunity to COVID-19 | Interview

• Marleen October 21, 2021 / 1:41 pm

Kyle’s experience •
        19K views •
        2 hours ago

Thank goodness for this fella.

2. CARAMEL October 20, 2021 / 9:14 am

My shopping habits did not change massively. I was still walking to and from work each day and passing several supermarkets. I don’t use a car, so I can only buy what I can carry home. The disadvantage for me was the long queue I had to join! They did say NHS can go to the front, but I did not do that, because I would see other people who looked fed up, and I just did not have the heart to walk in front of them. I preferred to join the queue and smile and them and get chatting and try to cheer them up.

Sometimes when I got into the supermarket it was a little shocking to see so many empty shelves – except, still plenty of vegan food!! Yay!!! I was just fine!! I tried out things I would never normally buy simply because they were left on the shelf, and some of the things I would normally buy were not on the shelf.

My landlords have always used a grocery delivery service, and very kindly they allowed me to add some of the things I wanted to their list, and I paid them for the items I ordered.

So….since the craziness that took place chiefly during spring 2020, not much has changed with me except I no longer have to queue and it is easier to find items I want to buy.

3. rugby843 October 20, 2021 / 10:02 am

Last fall I signed up for a year’s worth of free delivery for about $90 from WM. This meant if I ran out of any essentials I could call in an order and have it delivered that day or the next. Since I don’t drive, it worked well after a few tries and they changed from 👿Instacart👿 to regular drivers. When the demand increased, the shoppers became unreliable but the delivery drivers were excellent. My year is almost up so I will probably change stores. I’m old, 😂 with “comprised“ health and need to stay away from the public since people here do not wear masks or take any precautions. Our family wears masks and wish others would too. Now that more small children are getting Covid you would think they’d wake up to at least protect their children😡

Sent from my iPhone

• Fandango October 20, 2021 / 11:35 am

Yes, you would think people would wake up, but it seems many are still asleep at the wheel.

4. Nope, Not Pam October 20, 2021 / 11:50 am

In South Australia there wasn’t any need, but with borders reopening as our politicians go nuts, we’re discussing only online shopping in future.

5. aguycalledbloke October 20, 2021 / 2:49 pm

I was an online shopper for food shopping and most other basic requirements prior to C19’s arrival. Although my online consumerism is only restricted to food shopping or purchasing through Amazon. I was never one for buying Take Away and having that delivered.

Now, Suze [who is living under the same roof] would prefer to go into a store and purchase basics but that is mostly now due to the restrictions on some of the online supermarkets as in they simply don’t have everything on the online facility available to buyers,

I still prefer to shop online and that one reason and has nothing to do with C19 and that’s because l can not stand all the absolute muppets out there.