Sunday Poser — Spring Up/Fall Back

For her Sunday Poser this week, Sadje asks…

How do you feel about the bi-annual time change?

I think this whole bi-annual ritual is a vestige from the past when America was primarily a rural, agrarian nation. I don’t see that there is a need for it in the 21st century. And apparently neither do most Americans, who think it’s just an unnecessary hassle. According to a 2020 survey by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 63% of Americans are in favor of a national, fixed, year-round time.

In California, where I live, in 2018 there was a statewide ballot question, Proposition 7. 62% of California voters voted to change daylight saving time to make it full-time. Unfortunately, even though the people of California voted decisively to stop this ridiculous ritual three years ago, nothing has changed.

Why not? Well, for one thing, the California State Senate needs to pass this by a two-thirds vote and they haven’t yet. It’s stalled. And even if it did get passed in California, the federal government then needs to approve it because the federal Uniform Time Act doesn’t allow for year-round Daylight Saving Time.

So what’s the sense of voters passing it by 62% and the state senate not approving it? I feel like we’ve been bamboozled into thinking that our votes matter.

For what it’s worth, I don’t care if we go with Standard Time or with Daylight Saving Time year round. Let’s just stop having to play this crazy spring up/fall back game twice each year. Please!

Also includes these daily prompts: Ragtag Daily Prompt (vestige) and Word of the Day Challenge (bamboozle).

18 thoughts on “Sunday Poser — Spring Up/Fall Back

• Fandango October 17, 2021 / 8:01 pm

Where do you live? During July and August where I live it stays light until after 9 pm.

• larry trasciatti October 18, 2021 / 3:23 am

New York. In July and August it’s light that late too. Starting in September the sun goes down so very fast

1. Sadje October 17, 2021 / 6:51 pm

Thanks Fandango for sharing your thoughts. I agree that most people I talked to in the US weren’t in favor of time change. I guess it has some value for the farming community but even they are fully mechanized and automated these days. I hope that the senate passes the bill to give California the right to not change time.

• Sadje October 17, 2021 / 8:24 pm

Maybe someone will eventually realize it’s futility and change it.

2. Nope, Not Pam October 18, 2021 / 2:31 am

We have it in Australia and there are benefits for agriculture, which is still an important industry here. Personally I like it.

3. Terveen Gill October 18, 2021 / 5:36 am

Would like something like this in India. The days are too short in the winter. Depressing… 🙂

4. Marleen October 19, 2021 / 9:35 pm

I’m okay enough with the bi-anual time change now that DST ends well into autumn (early November). When I was a kid, I preferred it the old way, I wanted it to be dark when I went out for Halloween. I would be fine with there being no time change at all any more. In 2020, however, what time the clock said meant just about nothing. But I noticed, more acutely than ever before, how short the light hours got right before the winter solstice. The way the timing of nature worked out was right at the edge of what I wanted to endure. I have to say, I appreciated that consciousness of encounter with unmitigated reality in that regard.

5. leigha66 November 5, 2021 / 4:54 pm

I agree, no matter what you do the bottom line is the days are getting shorter and there is more darkness, changing a clock doesn’t change the fact.

6. Carol anne November 13, 2021 / 12:08 pm

We were supposed to be getting rid of it here in ireland, but then northern ireland, which is part of the UK, decided they wouldnt enter in to it, and so Ireland couldn’t do it, which is so irritating, as I really think the whole daylight savings time is just a nuisance! xxo