Throwback Thursday — Collectables

There’s a new prompt in town. It’s being run by Maggie, at From Cave Walls and by Lauren at LSS Attitude of Gratitude. The two will alternate hosting and the idea of the prompt is for them to give us a topic and for us to write a post in which we share our own memories or experiences about the given topic. This week, Lauren chose the topic of “collections,” and she wants to know…

Did you start collecting things as a young child?

When I was a lad, I used to collect superhero comic books, baseball cards, along with my two favorite humor magazines, MAD and National Lampoon.

The comic books, mostly superhero-type comics from DC Comics and Marvel, cost ten cents each back then. MAD and National Lampoon were a quarter each. The packs of baseball cards, sold by Topps and Fleet, cost a nickel each and included seven baseball cards and a flat, square piece of pink bubblegum.

Each month when the new editions were published, I would ride my bike to the comic book store/newsstand in town, where I’d buy five comic books and two packages of baseball cards. I’d ride my bike back home and take the wrappers off of the packages of baseball cards and sort them out. And after reading the comic books, I’d stack them in piles based upon the characters.

I continued to buy baseball cards and comic books for years until I got distracted when I was about 17 by girls. But in the meantime, I had built up a significant collection of both comic books and baseball cards.

Where did you keep your treasures?

I kept the more recent issues in my bedroom and the older issues in the basement of my parents’ home, along with my cherished baseball cards.

Do you still have anything from your early collections?

Unfortunately, no. After high school I headed off to college for four years. When I returned home after graduating, I discovered that my vast — and priceless — collections of both comic books and baseball cards were missing.

I asked my father about them and he told me that he had thrown them away, explaining that he needed the space in the basement for some other purpose. “Besides,” he said, “that was kid stuff. You’re an adult now.”

Do you have collections now?

Nope. After the trauma of having my own father betray my trust by thoughtlessly tossing out my comic books and baseball cards collections, especially after knowing what they would have been worth today if I still had them, I gave up even attempting to collect anything else. Well, other than debt and dust.

8 thoughts on “Throwback Thursday — Collectables

1. Marleen October 14, 2021 / 9:49 pm

Your dad sounds a little bit like my mom.

2. bushboy October 14, 2021 / 10:06 pm

That is a trauma right there. Wanted to make room, what a bullshit statement. I am glad you have let it go and no longer twitch when you walk past a comic book store 😂

3. Nope, Not Pam October 15, 2021 / 12:31 am

My mother decided I was going to collect spoons. Needless to say I no longer have them

4. writerravenclaw October 15, 2021 / 1:22 am

I gave my collection of comics to the local hospital because I thought I had outgrown them. I don’t regret doing that act of charity, but I wish I had kept the first edition.

5. Maggie October 15, 2021 / 5:12 am

That is a real shame, Fandango. I disagree with the comment about ‘kid stuff’ – that comment triggers me a bit. I have hung onto so many of my children’s things over the years, I cannot imagine destroying or giving them away. Maybe I kept them because my dad did the same for me until I had a place of my own. Hanging onto memories from our youth helps keep the child in us alive, I think. Thanks for joining the challenge sharing your story this week.

6. lssattitudeofgratitude October 15, 2021 / 7:56 am

Fandango, thanks for joining in with your memories of collections. I am so sorry that your dad tossed your collection without your permission. That must have been a hard one to take.

I collected Archie comic books for years. I didn’t take very good care of them to be honest.

I also have a collection of debt and dust. It must be our generation.