Fandango’s Provocative Question #136

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

My provocative question for you this week is fairly lightweight and as bloggers all, I think I know how most of you will answer it. But be sure to focus on the “why” part in your response.

If you were forced to chose, would you rather live without the internet or live without air conditioning and heating? Why?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

42 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #136

1. ellacraigwrites September 22, 2021 / 3:12 am

No brainer for me! Don’t have air-con or central heating, but do have the internet – power cuts permitting😁

2. Shreya September 22, 2021 / 3:39 am

Life without air-conditioning and heating is fine. Prefer open windows and fresh air!

3. tidalscribe.com September 22, 2021 / 3:54 am

The fact that I had to pause to think is worrying! I do live without air conditioning and the way the gas shortage is going we might all be without heating. Internet is vital keeping in touch with family across the world and having fun with the outside world during lockdowns or health dramas, so I might have to chop down the old apple tree for firewood.

• Melanie B Cee September 22, 2021 / 11:00 am

Good point. There are reasons though that the internet is just as dangerous to homo sapiens.

• Mister Bump UK September 22, 2021 / 11:09 am

So what? It contributes a fraction ofte pollution, especially as more and more renewables are used to generate clean electricity.
        Why is the internet dangerous?

• Melanie B Cee September 22, 2021 / 11:26 am

For myself? It’s caused a discernible problem with my eyesight. It exacerbates my existing eyesight problems. Easy solution, right? Just say no. But as every blog I’ve read today regarding this question, it’s widely known that the withdrawal from using the internet is horrible. And one still has to have electricity to run a computer, which is why most of us have an internet connection (or a smart phone, tablet or what have you). Our energy reserves are limited, and while I fully agree with you that heating (mandatory for me() or A/C use more energy and pollute things much more than internet usage, they both pollute in one way or another. But only my opinion, Pete. Not dismissing yours at all! You did make a very good point!

• Mister Bump UK September 22, 2021 / 11:40 am

Sorry, your personal problems are trivial compared to the human race having no planet to live on.

• Marleen September 22, 2021 / 5:18 pm

Computers (of all kinds) don’t work in high heat or if it’s too cold. So, I’d eliminate the one that doesn’t need the others for it’s existence. I also happen to know somone who got into computing largely because it would put him (yes he is a boomer) in an air conditioned “environment” so to speak.

4. Nope, Not Pam September 22, 2021 / 4:45 am

Internet. I didn’t have an air conditioner once. 45C, not pleasant

5. Paula Light September 22, 2021 / 5:16 am

I lived without AC for 10 years and survived. It’s nice to have it again though. But live without the internet? Nope. Can’t even go one day!

6. Shweta Suresh September 22, 2021 / 5:16 am

That’s a no brainer. I don’t have an air conditioner anyway but I cannot live without the internet

7. Irene September 22, 2021 / 5:44 am

In Canada, “no heating” would be an unwise decision, so no choice from here.

8. CARAMEL September 22, 2021 / 7:29 am

I live underground – and it is very cool in the summer, which is lush. In the winter it is fairly ok. I very rarely use the heating. But I do have some lovely blankets in case there is a very cold spell.
    However…..if I lived elsewhere, and I had to chose – I would pick the heating over the internet every time! I have plenty of books to keep me occupied without the internet. I have plenty of pretty stationary for snail mail. I have a landline. The internet is not that big a deal.

• CARAMEL September 22, 2021 / 3:24 pm

I live in a basement flat. Jack lives in a penthouse apartment. Guess which one is more pleasant summer and winter. There is a lot to be said for living underground.

9. paeansunplugged September 22, 2021 / 8:37 am

Without internet. With the kind of heat we have, I can’t think of summers without air conditioning!

10. rugby843 September 22, 2021 / 10:37 am

Easy answers once I use the internet everyday and the other not

Sent from my iPhone

11. bushboy September 22, 2021 / 3:34 pm

I want it all. It’s too hot here in Summer, too cold in Winter and the internet maintains contacts from my remote location

12. Marleen September 22, 2021 / 4:53 pm

I would choose no internet. Life was fine with no internet. Additionally, I think it was just yesterday that somone on television said we were ready to enter the days of cozy weather. 😏 it’s not cozy “weather” — but weather in which we find ways to make ourselves and each other cozy.

13. Marleen September 23, 2021 / 11:21 am

It’s interesting that some people take the question to mean different things or to have different parameters. It can mean just or mainly in my own home or residence or for me or my family, or in the whole world or…

… I remember riding in cars without air conditioning. I also remember taking my kids in a station wagon that had air conditioning but that I figured out didn’t get the air all the way to the back. That can cause brain damage.

• Marleen September 25, 2021 / 1:03 pm

I was just listening to a cooking show (first time for this show) and heard that if every family (? or every person)* would cut out one meat meal per week, it would be like taking 46 million (or was it 4 – 6 million) cars off the road! * I’m watching television the way my mom wants to — on cable such that I can’t pause or rewind.

• Marleen September 25, 2021 / 1:09 pm

Oh… this was if only people in the United States did this.

• Marleen September 25, 2021 / 1:12 pm

Oops… more clarification: no need to not eat a meal; just leave out the meat (find another way to get protein).

• Marleen September 25, 2021 / 7:27 pm

I know this wasn’t the question, but I had blackbean spaghetti with pesto sauce, tonight. Yummy.

14. leigha66 October 4, 2021 / 11:00 am

The internet would go … there are still phone calls and text messages that can connect you to those far away. Being cold and unable to warm up is hard on the body. And in the summer you can only take off so many clothes in public.