Truthful Tuesday — When I Grow Up

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. This week Frank wants to know…

When you were in grade school, what did you want to be when you grew up? Were you right, or did you end up doing something else?

To be honest, I’m not one of those kids who knew from the get-go what I wanted to be when I grew up. Even when I graduated from high school I had no real clue what profession I wanted to pursue. I entered college as a liberal arts major, transferred over to the business school and dual majored in marketing and economics.

Three things after graduating from college shaped my career. First, in order to avoid the draft at the height of the Vietnam war, I enlisted in the army reserves with a medical field hospital unit and trained to be a medic. Second, my first job when I got back from my army training was for a health insurance company. While working there, I went to college and got a master’s degree in health care administration and planning.

Third, after getting my master’s degree, I was recruited by a software and services company that developed and installed benefits administration software. That evolved into a career in health systems consulting, where I was a manager of a team of people responsible for developing and deploying customized benefits management systems. Ultimately that led to technology sales in the benefits administration software solutions field.

Bottom line, at no time in grade school did I ever dream of or aspire to being involved in health care technology development, implementation, or solution sales.

And now I’m retired and I am a blogger, an avocation that didn’t exist when I was in grade school.

10 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — When I Grow Up

1. Sadje September 21, 2021 / 9:35 am

The career path is never quite clear when we are in school.

2. Melanie B Cee September 21, 2021 / 12:47 pm

I didn’t have a clear cut view of what I wanted to be growing up either, save that I wanted to be a librarian. Utah in my ‘formative’ years had a bias which dictated one got married and had kids. Period. The men were the bread winners, women stayed home cooking and raising children and doing housework. The unlucky ones who had to work could get menial jobs only usually – waitressing, housekeeping, or unskilled nursing. My own choices of a career path when I left high school were nurse, secretary or librarian, but I lacked the schooling to do two of those and couldn’t have afforded college, had I been motivated to go. Secretarial skills it was.

3. Nope, Not Pam September 22, 2021 / 3:04 am

I wanted to be a vet, I’m an accountant 😆

4. Terveen Gill September 22, 2021 / 7:23 am

I think asking kids this is unnecessary. Let them live in peace for a few years… 🙂

• Marleen October 5, 2021 / 7:00 am

I was in sixth grade when we were first asked to seriously think on this question, and given an assignment to write about how to become what we wanted to be. I loved my sixth grade teacher, the way she managed the classroom — she made school both fun and interesting. However, it might’ve been better not to have this particular subject matter included. I wanted to be a sixth-grade teacher. My mother was also a teacher. But she said to me, then, that I shouldn’t be a teacher (largely or mainly because of money… but she was personally disillusioned at the moment as well).* So I did my paper on something else (which was my mother’s preference at the time). A couple years later, I had an idea to peruse a different career (interior design). My mother also said not to do that… but another thing (based upon which I asked her, decades later, whether she had read any Ayn Rand novel(s)). I agree with you that kids should be let to live in peace.

*I sorted out, only last week, that the year when I was in sixth grade was the first year the teachers went on strike (for more pay) in my mother’s school district. My mother didn’t want them to strike because she didn’t want to have to find another way to supplement or make up for her income. Yet, she additionally says school shouldn’t be about that but should be about the kids. Where was her idealism when I wanted to be a teacher? Well, she’s always been an inconsistent hypocrite — in most areas of life.

What I ended up doing with my time and focus was being a homeschooling mom. My mother additionally gave me trouble about that (on top of harassing me even about being a mom). I am happy about what I did, but I do wish I’d followed through on interior design as a background activity (for example because professional designers can access services and prices to which not everyone is entitled).

5. leigha66 October 3, 2021 / 4:19 pm

I went through several things, and being a cashier was FAR from all of them. Now that I am not working I am closest to my dream of being a lyricist by writing here. Not many of those young dreams ever stick around long… minds change a lot!