Blogging Insights — Reformed Grammar Nazi

Dr. Tanya has decided to change things up a bit for her weekly Blogging Insights prompt. Instead of using the Q&A format, she provides us with a quote about blogging or writing and ask us to express our opinion about said quote.

This week, quoting author Ruth Rendell, Tanya wants to know if we are grammar Nazis.

“What I mind in modern society very much is the awful lack of grammar.”

When I was in elementary (aka grammar) school, I spent a lot of time diagramming sentences. Grammar rules, proper punctuation, and correct use were emphasized. As a result, I grew up with much the same attitude that Ruth Rendell expressed. It drove me nuts to encounter grammar, punctuation, and usage errors. I used to get really annoyed and would actually stop reading anything that displayed poor grammar. I thought that there was simply no excuse for such errors, especially when I found them in published works where, presumably, an editor, or at least a proof reader, was involved before publication.

I will admit that I have mellowed quite a bit vis-à-vis poor grammar. While it still bothers me when I come across blatant grammar, punctuation, or usage errors, I try, like the proverbial duck, to let them roll off my back.

That said, if a blogger’s posts are regularly filled with grammatical errors, incorrect punctuation, or inappropriate usage, I will likely stop reading his or her posts. Especially if he or she uses an apostrophe to make a word plural.

21 thoughts on “Blogging Insights — Reformed Grammar Nazi

1. Sadje September 20, 2021 / 9:58 am

You probably find a lot of mistakes in my posts too. 😂

2. Lou Carreras September 20, 2021 / 10:51 am

I have to use Grammarly or more than a few of my posts would “read” in interesting ways I did not intend. But I sometimes deliberately tell the program to toggle off because dialog or just meaning would be changed by the program’s take on things.

• Fandango September 20, 2021 / 2:40 pm

I tried Grammarly, but it kept correcting me, so I got even by deleting it!

3. Nope, Not Pam September 20, 2021 / 5:12 pm

My keyboard is my enemy. The keys stick 🙁

4. drtanya@saltedcaramel September 20, 2021 / 7:35 pm

While apostrophe errors rankle too, my pet grammar peeve is an absence of or incorrect prepositions.

Spelling errors are a whole “genre ” of their own. We must discuss those too some day.

5. Shweta Suresh September 21, 2021 / 12:48 am

I’m with you on this, Fandango. Improper grammar, spelling mistakes that are far too wrong to be typos and using apostrophes for plural!!!

6. Melanie B Cee September 21, 2021 / 12:50 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with that apostrophe mess. Make it stop, for the love of goodness, my eyes are bleeding! is what I internally chant whenever I spot another one ‘out there in the public eye’. Auggghhh! 🤯😳😱

7. Marilyn Armstrong September 21, 2021 / 3:50 pm

I’ve almost learned to live with the bad grammar since, after all, no one teaches it in school anymore. But the incredible stupid use of punctuation as a kind of random mess with people putting in multiple commas or things like — ,,!?” — and it isn’t an expletive. It’s just someone who thinks any kind of punctuation is fine. What’s wrong with just ONE item? Like, for example, a period. A question mark. A comma.

8. leigha66 October 2, 2021 / 7:34 pm

I know my writing is far from perfect; I just hope my word program catches at least any big errors I may have.