Fandango’s Provocative Question #135

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

By now you have probably heard that the Republican legislature in Texas passed, and the Republican governor of Texas has signed into law, a measure that prohibits abortions in Texas as early as six weeks — before most women even know they are pregnant — and opens the door for almost any private citizen anywhere in the country to sue abortion providers and others who may assist a woman in any way to obtain an abortion in Texas. And this includes abortions even in cases where the pregnancy is the result of incest or rape.

Many other states that have Republican-controlled state houses and Republican governors are rushing to enact laws in those states that are based upon the Texas law.

This doesn’t surprise me. Take a look at this table below. It contains actual quotes from various Republican lawmakers regarding their feelings on rape.

I swear that these are real quotes from actual Republican lawmakers, per snopes.com.

My provocative question for you this week is this…

Regardless of how you feel about a woman’s right to get an abortion, do you believe that, in cases of incest or rape, women should be denied the ability to have legal abortions if they wish to terminate their pregnancies?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

56 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #135

1. Nope, Not Pam September 15, 2021 / 4:01 am

I’m sorry but are these people seriously this stupid? Hangings too good for them

2. Mister Bump UK September 15, 2021 / 4:09 am

I don’t think the circumstances come into it. But you know my view – I see the whole thing as an equality issue. A woman has the right, period, because she is equal to a man.

3. rugby843 September 15, 2021 / 4:40 am

I was living in TX when Clayton said that, shocking even then. And last week the TX governor was quoted saying TX won’t let rapes happen? All of these listed people should be put in prison so they will know what rape really is.

4. Marleen September 15, 2021 / 5:18 am

My comment to the dingaling, Jody, is that not all rape victims are even what we would really think of as women. And, then, there’s this…

What is a rape kit? You may have heard the term “rape kit” to refer to a sexual assault forensic exam. The term rape kit actually refers to the kit itself—a container that includes a checklist, materials, and instructions, along with envelopes and containers to package any specimens collected during the exam. A rape kit may also be referred to as a Sexual Assault Evidence Kit (SAEK).

The contents of the kit vary by state and jurisdiction and may include:

Bags and paper sheets for evidence collection
    Comb
    Documentation forms
    Envelopes
    Instructions
    Materials for blood samples
    Swabs

Preparing for a sexual assault forensic exam

If you are able to, try to avoid activities that could potentially damage evidence
    such as:
    Bathing
    Showering
    Using the restroom
    Changing clothes
    Combing hair
    Cleaning up the area

It’s natural to want to go through these motions after a traumatic experience. If you have done any of these activities, you can still have an exam performed. You may want to bring a spare change of clothes with you to the hospital or health facility where you’re going to have the exam. In most cases, DNA evidence needs to be collected within 72 hours in order to be analyzed by a crime lab—but a sexual assault forensic exam can reveal other forms of evidence beyond this time frame that can be useful if you decide to report. Place your belongings, including the clothes you were wearing, in a paper bag to safely preserve evidence. If you have questions about the timeframe, you can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.656.HOPE (4673) or talk to your local sexual assault service provider.

• Marleen September 15, 2021 / 5:23 am

Well, crap: Jodie (Laubenberg)

• Marleen September 15, 2021 / 9:20 am

It’s too difficult to prove rape in most cases. So, I don’t think that’s a very practical guide. But Plan-B (not considered abortion) is readily available, I believe. Incest is easier to prove, and I have to say yes for that (which is a change from what I thought most of my life although I don’t think I thought of this detail much); still, Plan-B is available. Thirdly, I am concerned for the health of a young woman or girl; I don’t know which is better for a girl’s future reproductive health and physical integrity (Plan/B or abortion).

• Marleen September 15, 2021 / 9:31 am

Another thought on the incest topic: if a relative is abusive and then has an “out” for any repercussions, that’s about as evil as it gets. Meanwhile, we in the west tend to assume the female or pregnant person is always making the choice. I have a cousin who was sad for decades for having done what her mother and my mother told her to do — they took her for an abortion (I do think she was eighteen but living at home with her mother). Her case wasn’t incest but rape.

• Paula Light September 15, 2021 / 12:39 pm

I meant NO obviously! I hope that was understood. I believe a woman should be allowed to terminate a pregnancy FOR ANY REASON in the first trimester.

• Fandango September 15, 2021 / 10:16 am

I disagree but I you have every right to express your opinion.

• larry trasciatti September 15, 2021 / 10:18 am

At least we can be civil. Too many people , with such significan subject matter, freak out.

• Fandango September 16, 2021 / 7:37 am

Surely you’re not drawing an analogy between women who have abortions and mass murderers.

• larry trasciatti September 16, 2021 / 9:03 am

Women and girls who have abortions most often don’t know the damage they’re doing but it’s still inevitably the death of an innocent and helpless person.

• Fandango September 16, 2021 / 9:26 am

“…the death of an innocent and helpless person.” That depends upon your definition of a “person.” I don’t consider an embryo or even a three month old fetus to yet be a person. Besides, according to the Catholic Church, we are all born sinners with sinful, selfish natures. So much for the “innocent and helpless person” theory.

• Marleen September 16, 2021 / 9:27 am

I think almost all the energy that is going into making abortion entirely illegal (I say “almost” because it’s fine for some energy to go into safety regulation) should go into (would be better put to) educating people and helping people. But the “education” portion is being primarily reserved for telling girls (oh and boys too) not to use contraception. Might it be that the preciousness of being against contraception keeps the two separate with approach?

The timing of this provocative question has coincided, in my location, with a movie showing at a local church. I went, last night: Roe Versus Wade. When I go to the church services, almost everyone is wearing a mask. But almost no one was wearing a mask at this event. I have found that the majority of political people have other issues that are more important to them than abortion. The last straw was being against health care covering childbirth. Get behind me Satan.

5. CARAMEL September 15, 2021 / 1:09 pm

This is truly a provocative question Fandango.

So many of the quotes above seemed insensitive and inappropriate, and frankly, even without knowing the full context of those statements, I think that those who made comments ought to be embarrassed by the words that are now being banded about with their name attached to them.

I wonder how many who answer the question raised this week will actually have been in the situation referred to. Not that you need to be in that situation to have empathy and want to protect the legal rights of those who have to make a decision they will perhaps remember for the rest of their lives.

For me personally, life is precious, and the life of an unborn child is also precious. I know many woman who are desperate to have children, they have been through cycles of IVF and many many tears because they so earnestly want the privilege of being parents. I also understand that if a woman is the victim of a serious and abhorrent crime such as rape, she will not only despise the person that committed that crime, but then the potential situation of rearing and caring for the child of a brutal criminal is traumatic.

As a woman who has been the victim of a violent sexual assault, and yet was not pregnant afterwards, I will state I feel passionately that being allowed privacy, discretion, sensitivity and kindness would be hugely important to me. I find it very uncomfortable to see people using rape as a wedge to allow a flood of terminations that have nothing to do with rape at all, but a few too many drinks, a rush of hormones, and a sober realization that a person has either nil or little desire to make the sacrifices involved in rearing a child.

If I had become pregnant after what happened to me, I would have faced a difficult decision. The law here in the UK would allow me to make that decision either way. I respect and appreciate that law. Does it make me feel different about the decisions I have seen other women make? I know girls in their late teens who want to have a baby so they can get a council house – which is hard to fathom. I know women who decided to have terminations many weeks into knowing they were pregnant for matters of convenience, they had educational goals, they had career opportunities, they detected a lack of commitment from the father, they already had other children and felt they could not afford any more. All women I know and empathise with and respect. Yet I find in some of their cases it hard to understand their decision. But I do believe that most people will do what they think is the right thing.

I lost a child due to a miscarriage, and I love the father of my child. I think about my little apricot everyday. It’s hard for me to understand that some of my friends have deliberately chosen to extinguish the life of their child due to matters like finances. Maybe that is partly because of my background – I am one of seven very happy healthy children whose parents had very modest incomes, and yet we thrived in every way.

I respect the law, Whether I personally agree with the decision someone else makes, it is part of the law of self-determination, a legal framework the medical profession have learnt they have to respect. The same health service that wishes people would exercise their self-determination to accept a vaccine that could make a difference to them if they are exposed to a dangerous virus, also accepts that some patients will turn up at the hospital to ask for an incredible miracle – a beating heart, a tiny life with organs and limbs forming and DNA that already knows the colour of the eyes and hair. The health service are under the laws of the land we live in and we work with them, and we whenever the law allows a patient to do something we find hard to understand or perhaps agree with – we show respect and dignify each one. We do not impose our personal feelings on our patients. We respect their legal rights and freedoms.

I think more than anything, from my own experience, a woman who has been the victim of a serious and heinous crime such as rape, should be allowed privacy and discretion, along with a lot of empathy and support. If I had been made pregnant by the man who attacked me – what an incredibly stressful situation that would have been. It was an awful awful awful situation anyway – I had strangers (police and health professionals) asking me awful questions all day after I was found, during the week that followed, and with an unwelcome regularity ever since the police seem to want to contact me to ask me more questions which bring back traumatic memories. All I wanted, all I craved for, was a curtain of privacy. I seemed to have the opposite of that. The idea of being in a situation where not only had I been the victim of a heinous crime, but then public interest in the deeply personal decision as to what to do in the case of a pregnancy would be unbearable.

But for me, taking the life of a child within me, no matter how wicked the father, would not be an easy decision. Every woman is different. That’s one of the reasons why laws of self-determination are there for really – to allow people to make decisions based on their conscience. But if my case had been used to provide a legal basis for a friend of mine who went to a nightclub, got drunk, slept with a stranger, and decided she was more concerned with becoming a manager at work than she was with the life growing within her, I would find that difficult. The two situations are so very different.

No matter how we personally feel about an issue – we live in a world in which in different lands, in different areas, in different cultures, some issues are viewed differently. Personally I feel laws are most effective when they make allowance for extreme situations. But when those extreme situations are then used to facilitate others to terminate the life of an unborn child because it is not convenient – that is really hard to swallow.

Men (or women) who commit crimes like this should be punished severely. But I also believe that certain industries that produce graphic content that often feeds the minds of people who go on to commit these crimes should be punished.

After all – we all shrug at the fool who pollutes his body with harmful chemicals and then turns up in a hospital bed expecting the health service to perform a miracle. But the manufacturer of that poisonous substance, and the entertainment industry who said “it’s no big deal” also shoulder some accountability.

This question is challenging. The current climate shows certain legal frameworks seem to be used conveniently. The issue of self-determination over vaccines has been topical. The issue of self-determination when a woman becomes pregnant after a heinous crime. A living breathing law ought not to be cold and rigid and inflexible. However, true justice does not mean allowing anyone to find loopholes for their own personal benefit and convenience.

Black and white laws tend to be disastrous. Wise, empathetic, sensitive lawmakers and judges are the salvation of the justice system. Yet, when someone is not allowed privacy and discretion, others, although completely unqualified to, will judge, and often judge harshly.

• Fandango September 15, 2021 / 11:10 pm

Thank you, Mel, for taking the time to share your thoughts on a very personal matter and on what, for you, was a traumatic experience. I agree that privacy and discretion and self-determination when it comes to a woman’s reproductive rights should be foremost, and I believe that, in the case of a sexual assault that does result in a pregnancy, the victim — the woman — should have the option to legally terminate the pregnancy if she so chooses. Where we differ, though, is that I believe that a woman also has the right to privacy, discretion, and self-determination with respect to pregnancy during the first trimester for any reason if she so chooses. It’s not for anyone else to judge the situation, the circumstances, or the factors that might result in a woman making that difficult and gut wrenching decision. I believe it’s an extremely personal decision and no one — especially anyone who is not personally involved and would have no direct responsibility for caring for the child of an unplanned, unwanted pregnancy — should impose their own beliefs on the woman in such a situation. And I don’t believe that any government body comprised mostly of older, white men, should pass laws that take that decision regarding a woman’s reproductive rights away from the woman.

• CARAMEL September 16, 2021 / 4:18 am

I see women (mostly young women) and girls exercising their legal freedoms to have terminations on almost a daily basis Fandango. I always dignify them and treat them professionally. I care for them without sharing my feelings and beliefs because I am a professional. But subjects like this – well, it’s a subject women to talk about with their family and friends.

One of my closest friends is from a land in West Africa that faced civil war 30 years ago. She didn’t know it as a child, but later learnt that her mother (who was only about 14 when she gave birth) had been mistreated by men who came into their habitation to cause great suffering during the civil war. Her mother must have been traumatised by her ordeal. I can only guess that she did not have the choice or the safe means to do anything about the resulting pregnancy.

It pains me that this world is so upside down and inside out, to back to front and messed up. This has been a hard subject because in this instance the precursor you mentioned is a terrible crime. I think it’s clear that some lax attitudes towards this abhorrent crime need to be corrected and severe legal penalties from the justice system upheld. But I also think that it is appalling that the entertainment industry and the computer games industry are allowed to include rape scenes/scenarios. It’s just so incredibly wrong to breed those kinds of desires and stimulate an excitement for these crimes in human minds. I don’t think that the manufacturers should have the choice to include rape in their products. But neither do I think that they should be putting brutal violence and prolific bloodshed in them. I think it is incredibly ghastly that some of these games are amongst the most popular out there. It’s outrageous.

6. pensitivity101 September 15, 2021 / 1:18 pm

Rape is not a right. I have VERY strong feelings on that. Men have also been raped and abused incestuously.
    If pregnancy is the result of rape or incest, then if the woman wants a termination, she should have it. No fuss, no judgement, no guilt.

• CARAMEL September 15, 2021 / 3:51 pm

The first time I came across rape was when a school friend of mine was raped. He was 13 and three men ganged up on him in public toilets not far from our school.

Incidents of “domestic” rape are far greater than the situation I was in when a complete stranger attacked me.

It is an awful subject to be discussing, and to be honest, I think I have had my fill Di….it one of the worst aspects of human behaviour.

• pensitivity101 September 16, 2021 / 2:26 am

You are right. The fosters girls who came to me were victims of home abuse. Their stories were chilling.

7. CARAMEL September 15, 2021 / 1:40 pm

Just to clarify…when I said “Men (or women) who commit crimes like this should be punished severely”….I was of course speaking about those who commit the crime of rape.

• Marleen September 15, 2021 / 3:24 pm

Yeah, the death penalty is fair for them. I know you didn’t say that and might not mean that severely. Mostly, I mean that if somone else comes in on a rape, rape attempt, or even sexual assault situation and kills the perp/perv to mitigate the harm, that rescuer is justified. There was a story in the news here in the U.S. some years ago that I remember wherein the father of a little girl walked into something heinous and killed the man.

• CARAMEL September 15, 2021 / 3:45 pm

Hey Marleen,

Rape is a very serious crime. It’s not my jurisdiction to decide on the penalties for any crime. I was attacked by a complete stranger who simply had more physical strength than I did. It had been a very hot day, and I do believe I was dehydrated.

He is alive with the knowledge of his crimes, which mean surely he cannot lead any kind of satisfying life. Whereas I have largely been able to dismiss him from my mind, and I live mightily, I live with clean conscience and deep conviction. I truly live. With a stain of a wicked crime on his conscience – he cannot truly be alive. If he was put to death, he would cease to exist. While he lives, he suffers more. He never gets to enjoy what real life is. He is a mere existence of a creature, without any real purpose.

It is not mine to judge. He is nothing to me.

8. Marilyn Armstrong September 15, 2021 / 6:42 pm

People — good people with whom I may or may not agree — seem to be of the opinion that evil people suffer from the evil they do. The problem is, that is NOT true. They like being bad. They think it’s cool. it’s fun. They are NOT suffering the torment from the bad stuff they did. They are laughing at us who ARE suffering. Make no mistake. Those people are not being emotionally savaged by guilt. We might be, but they are not.

• Marleen September 15, 2021 / 7:25 pm

Mm. That’s true too; I’ve seen it.

• Fandango September 15, 2021 / 11:16 pm

I tend to agree. Does a rapist really feel remorse for having raped? Are they really tormented by guilt? Or do they make excuses, rationalize, or even take a twisted pride in what they did?

9. Marilyn Armstrong September 15, 2021 / 6:46 pm

I stopped too soon. We need laws that let us make our own decisions. Freedom IS the right to choose. If you take that away, you are not free. It’s not about life. It’s about CHOICE.

• Marleen September 16, 2021 / 9:44 pm

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

[18:40:09]

MENENDEZ: Today, a powerful and incredibly emotional hearing on Capitol Hill, three of America`s greatest Olympic athletes, Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, and McKayla Maroney testifying about the abuse they suffered at the hands of us gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.

It comes after a government report on damning evidence of the FBI`s mishandling of the case, allowing Nassar to treat gymnast long after agents knew about the accusations against him.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BILES: This is the largest case of sexual abuse in the history of American sport. It truly feels like the FBI turned a blind eye to us. I don`t want another young gymnast, Olympic athlete, or any individual to experience the horror that I and hundreds of others have endured before, during and continuing to this day in the wake of the Larry Nassar abuse.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MENENDEZ: This morning, the FBI fired an agent for failing to properly investigate the allegations of abuse.

But it comes too late for hundreds of women and girls exposed to a sexual predator.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ALY RAISMAN, NASSAR ACCUSER: I can`t tell you the — how horrifying it is to meet young girls who look up to me, who watched me compete in the Olympics and tell me that they went to see Nassar because of me and my teammates, because they wanted to see the Olympic doctor.

And I guess, in his office, Nassar`s office, he had some photos of us. And so they went to see him because they thought it was so cool to have the same doctor as us. And so it`s — that`s been one of the hardest and most devastating parts for me is, so many survivors suffer with guilt and shame.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MENENDEZ: These women today testifying after years of public criticism over everything from their performances to what they have said about their own mental health, even their facial expressions.

But now, after years of being silenced, Maroney with a striking indictment of the FBI and everyone who was supposed to protect these young athletes.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MARONEY: They chose to lie about what I said and protect a serial child molester, rather than protect not only me, but countless others.

I was naked, completely alone with him on top of me, molesting me for hours. I told them, I thought I was going to die that night. I began crying at the memory over the phone, and there was just dead silence.

After that minute of silence, he asked: “Is that all?”

The truth is, my abuse was enough. And they wanted to cover it up. They chose to falsify my report, and to not only minimize my abuse, but silence me yet again. They allowed a child molester to go free for more than a year.

What is the point of reporting abuse if our own FBI agents are going to take it upon themselves to bury that report in a drawer?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MENENDEZ: Joining me now, civil rights attorney Nancy Erika Smith.

Nancy, I think we all watch that, and we say, how does that happen, and why does that happen? And what does accountability look like from here on in?

NANCY ERIKA SMITH, CIVIL RIGHTS ATTORNEY: Well, it was certainly heart- wrenching, unfortunately, and, sadly, not surprising.

Law enforcement in the United States, including the FBI, has a horrible record of not protecting women and children, period. And there`s very little accountability in law enforcement in the United States, and especially in the FBI.

Juries have repeatedly found the FBI guilty of sex and race discrimination in their own offices. The FBI failed to interview numerous witnesses in the Kavanaugh attempted rape case, and now he`s a Supreme Court justice for life.

And the law requires everybody who comes in contact with these kinds of allegations on behalf of children to report it, not only to other law enforcement, local law enforcement, but to child protection agencies.

None of these people have been [prosecuted]. And they never are. This happens all the time in America. And it`s just shocking and horrible. And there`s no accountability.

Langeman just got fired. He was the head investigator who Ms. Maroney went to. And he buried it for 18 months and then lied about it. He was just fired. And I, unfortunately, believe that`s because the public was going to hear about this in a hearing.

Abbott, the head of the office, he retired. He is collecting a taxpayer pension today. All of us are paying his pension after he sacrificed these young girls to a pedophile in order to advance his own career. He was seeking a job with the Olympic Committee.

It`s just disgraceful. And there`s no accountability.

MENENDEZ: So, I think what I`m hearing from you is that you don`t anticipate any criminal charges.

[18:45:02]

SMITH: I don`t anticipate them. If they`re coming, they`re really, really late. They should have been — happened a long time ago.

MENENDEZ: I want to get your thoughts on something else.

Aly Raisman discussed the lasting impact abuse like this has on survivors. Take a listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

RAISMAN: I personally don`t think that people realize how much experiencing a type of abuse is not something that one just suffers in the moment. It carries on with them, sometimes for the rest of their lives.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MENENDEZ: Your thoughts?

SMITH: That is absolutely how my clients feel.

It is a lasting hurt. And even hearing this today, many, many women who are survivors of abuse and sexual assault are hurting. And we continue to hurt, all of us, until we really change this. And we can`t change this until we change law enforcement. And I mean, a deep, significant change in law enforcement.

MENENDEZ: Right.

I think a lot of people watch these incredible athletes, who in their own way have a tremendous amount of power, and they think, if they were not believed, then what happens to all of the survivors who don`t have the public platform, right, who don`t have the athletes?

What does this tell us more broadly about the way that the system and that we as a society treat survivors?

SMITH: Well, it tells us that we value men phenomenally more than we value women and children. And we have since the beginning of time, and we still do today.

Men, even a pedophile, is more important than women and children. That`s our culture. And we`re trying very hard to change it. And we have a long way to go.

MENENDEZ: Today, FBI director Christopher Wray condemning the FBI for its bungled investigation. Take a listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

CHRISTOPHER WRAY, FBI DIRECTOR: I want to be crystal clear. The actions and inaction of the FBI employees detailed in this report are totally unacceptable.

These individuals betrayed the core duty that they have of protecting people.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MENENDEZ: Beyond that admission, what is it you want to see next?

SMITH: I want to see massive overhaul of law enforcement. I want to see accountability. I want to see the end to qualified immunity for law enforcement officers who break the law, including not investigating and reporting child abuse and crime against women.

I want to see more women hired into law enforcement. I want all new policies. I want accountability for a change in law enforcement.

MENENDEZ: Yes, Nancy, I guess my question is, what would it take to have that type of action?

I mean, this was an incredibly emotional and incredibly powerful hearing. It seems as though the eyes of the nation are on these women. It would seem that, if not now, when?

SMITH: Right. I agree.

So Congress should immediately stop calling qualified immunity for law enforcement officers, immediately, immediately. Our taxpayer-paid law enforcement officers should be subject to the same laws as the rest of us. And they should be held accountable when they don`t protect us and when they actually participate in harming us, which is what the FBI did to these young women and all the young girls who followed them after Ms. Maroney in 2015 reported it.

How many girls were continued to be raped and abused by this man? All of them are — it`s the FBI fault. It`s just outrageous. There should be a lot more accountability and prosecutions and a total overhaul of law enforcement and an end to qualified immunity.

No one is above the law. And, certainly, law enforcement shouldn`t be.

MENENDEZ: Nancy Erika Smith, thank you so much.

SMITH: Thank you, Alicia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope the transcript I shared, just above, comes across the way the live conversation did last night.

• Marleen September 16, 2021 / 9:45 pm

Now, only a few hours ago, this video has been posted from a different news source. This isn’t as well-presented or smooth as what I was talking about on “The Beat” but will do.

TYT: FBI Under Scrutiny For BOTCHED Brett Kavanaugh Investigation

• Marleen September 15, 2021 / 9:12 pm

This is additional indignation underneath the video at the msnbc site; thisvesnt govered on the video: Facebook and its CEO Mark Zuckerberg now face a new scandal after newly leaked internal documents show the company has been giving special treatment to millions of powerful users. According to reporting from the Wall Street Journal, Facebook’s “XCheck” program shielded VIP users, including Donald Trump before he was suspended from the platform, from the company’s typical enforcement process. This revelation comes after the company claimed to be “the most transparent platform online.” MSNBC’s Ari Melber discusses the scandal with … Laura Bassett.

• Marleen September 15, 2021 / 9:15 pm

… additional INFORMATION [not indignation as the typo has it]; this isn’t covered on …

10. Shweta Suresh September 15, 2021 / 10:33 pm

These people who say such abhorrent things are out of their minds.. In fact, these creatures don’t even deserve to be called humans.

11. Ruth September 16, 2021 / 5:57 am

Well done to everyone who managed to comment so sensibly on this question… honestly I’m so incensed by the whole scenario I can’t even find it in me to voice a civil reply… all I can say is, in a so-called ‘modern’ country rife with anti-maskers and anti-vaxers demanding their individual ‘bodily rights’ against Covid, I can’t even begin to make sense of the argument that at the same time all women should wholesale no longer have the right to decide what happens long-term within their own bodies when it comes to pregnancy…