Weekend Writing Prompt — Our Yard

When we bought our house last year, our backyard was covered with a large, black tarp. No grass, no trees, no plants. The house was a flip, and the flipper decided to leave the landscaping to the new owner.

We finally got the landscaping of our backyard completed this past June. We have a waterfall, a fire pit, a deck, a pergola, trees, shrubs, a patio, an outdoor kitchen. It’s beautiful.

Or it was until the deer and the gophers discovered our yard.

Written for Sammi Cox’s Weekend Writing Prompt, where the word is “yard.”

26 thoughts on “Weekend Writing Prompt — Our Yard

1. Marleen September 11, 2021 / 1:21 pm

Just gorgeous! I gave a deck, but I’d like to have an outdoor kitchen and a bit of covering — and one of those combo swimming things (with moving water in a small space so one can swim/exercise) with spa jets and seats.

2. newepicauthor September 11, 2021 / 1:37 pm

You have to leave apples for the deer, but I have no idea how you could handle the gophers.

• Marleen September 11, 2021 / 2:31 pm

Of course, you need to get some tips from “Caddyshack.”

• Fandango September 11, 2021 / 3:23 pm

Haven’t seen any yet. But I’ve noticed some coyotes and someone nearby spotted a bobcat. But so far, not in my yard.

3. Taswegian1957 September 11, 2021 / 4:49 pm

That’s quite a menagerie. At least we only have possums, wallabies and potoroos.

• Fandango September 11, 2021 / 8:48 pm

Thanks, but between the deer eating the plants and the gopher holes, it’s not looking so great. 😠

• Fandango September 11, 2021 / 10:35 pm

There is deer repellent that might help keep the deer from eating the tree leaves and plants, but the only way to get rid of gophers is to trap (and kill) them.

4. Keith's Ramblings September 12, 2021 / 7:00 am

The nearest I have to a yard is a balcony! No problem with deer and gophers up here, although the occasional inquisitive fox climbs the steps and I’m plagued by ****** seagulls!

My 83!

5. Bill September 15, 2021 / 8:26 am

Wow! You were handed a blank slate and worked magic. While I no longer fight the flora and fauna battles, I appreciate what you did. Sorry Mother Nature send her pests you your yard. 🙂