One-Liner Wednesday — $276 Million

Pat Rudebusch

Never heard of Pat Rudebusch? Neither have I. But the quote above was how Pat ended her letter to the editor that was published in yesterday’s San Francisco Chronicle.

The context of Pat’s letter was the recall election of California governor Gavin Newsom coming up on September 14th. $276 million is the cost of the gubernatorial recall election, according to the California Department of Finance. A cost that is being borne by California taxpayers.

Pat argues that the recall effort to unseat California’s sitting governor is “a case study irresponsibility. Absent any legitimate reasons to remove an elected official from office, the Republican Party has embarked upon a sinister effort to undo the decision of the vast majority of voters — a larger percentage of voters, in fact, than any governor has earned in California history.”

We are facing unprecedented challenges from climate change, a crumbling infrastructure, and a global pandemic. Surely there are far better ways to focus our attention and to spend our tax dollars than on this ridiculous, purely partisan recall election.

Trump Republicans in red states across the country have been attacking election results and passing laws to subvert our Constitutional right to vote. Now they’re trying to grab power in California, abusing the recall process and costing taxpayers millions of dollars.

As Pat Rudebusch wrote in her letter, “Imagine what could be accomplished if Republicans decided to work within the democratic process rather than against it.”

Written for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt. Sorry that I wrote more than one line, but Pat Rudebusch and I are pissed.

27 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — $276 Million

1. Paula Light September 8, 2021 / 6:34 am

Me too. And I don’t only blame the right (though mostly I do) ~ the far left are also contributing to this chaos by bitching that they can’t have everything NOW and they aren’t going to support mainstream Dems, so there!

2. Mister Bump UK September 8, 2021 / 6:50 am

Sorry, buddy, I disagree.
    I have no specific knowledge of the circumstances in Ca but as a rule of thumb, citizens should have greater rights to recall underperforming public officials, not fewer rights.
    One of the cornerstones of democracy is “how do I get rid of you, if you underperform?”, and most places which like to label themselves as democracies fall short on this.
    Are you really arguing that the democratic process should be suspended because you can’t afford the cost?”

• Fandango September 8, 2021 / 8:46 am

The issue is that by most measures, the California governor is NOT underperforming. And I’m not arguing that the democratic process should be suspended. I’m arguing that the motivation behind this recall is PURELY partisan politics and that the rules around the recall are ludicrous. There are 41 candidates running against the governor. If Newsom doesn’t get 50% of the vote, the opposing candidate who gets the most votes becomes the new governor. So if Newsom gets 49.9% of the vote, a candidate who gets only 20% of the vote could be the next governor of California. That’s not majority rules. That’s not democracy.

• Mister Bump UK September 8, 2021 / 10:54 am

Then he will be vindicated in the poll.
        But I think you do have to make provision for recalls.
        It could well be the case, of course, that the system makes it tooeasy to generate a recall ballot. I don’t really know how you’d solve that. However many voted against him originally, plus, say 10%?
        We do have the function to recall here but (a) they need to be convicted of one of a very few criminal offences, then (b) parliament votes, then (c) there may be another election. It only came in 10 years ago and to my knowledge has only happened once.
        Interesting that they don’t throw out any criminal offence, but I think parliamemnt welcomes a certain type of criminal 🤣

• Fandango September 8, 2021 / 10:17 pm

Yes, I agree that incompetent officials should be subject to recall. But this is not the case. The Republican political machines from across the country are pouring millions of dollars into this recall solely for the sake of removing a relatively effective Democratic governor from office. There are no criminal charges levied against the current governor, no sex scandals, no acts of financial wrongdoings, no misconduct of any kind. It a political farce that is costing the taxpayers of the state close to $300 million dollars. It’s despicable.

• Mister Bump UK September 8, 2021 / 11:04 pm

That says to me that Ca got the rules wrong. At the very least, the sitting guy should be in a straight re-run of the original poll. Highest vote wins.
            I think the fairest recall process is one which just throws the question back to the electorate.

3. bikerchick57 September 8, 2021 / 9:51 am

I am so disheartened by the thought of how much better this country and its people could be if we weren’t so damned divided by politics and what every narcissistic, selfish person wants rather than working together for the good of all. Why is it so hard to be kind and selfless and ethical in government?

4. JT Twissel September 8, 2021 / 10:58 am

The recall rules need to change. It’s ludicrous to think the state could fall into the hands of someone who only got 20% of the vote.

• Fandango September 8, 2021 / 10:19 pm

You’re absolutely right. But it could happen.

5. Tanishq Abhi Gupta September 8, 2021 / 10:23 pm

Same thing happens in my here(middle east). Particular area is pushed under someone who got much lesser votes. We have MLAs here.

6. Nope, Not Pam September 9, 2021 / 3:05 am

The first thing I thought when I saw your photo was, what a waste of paper, how many trees were cut down ☹️

7. Marleen September 13, 2021 / 7:02 am

Posted on YouTube approximately an hour ago, I don’t know if that’s when it happened. I’m sad for her that she’s endorsing this guy. I believe something happened to her. I don’t know why she thinks this guy can make it better.

Rose McGowan Makes Allegations Against Gavin Newsom’s Wife, Endorses[ Larry] Elder In California Recall

• Marleen September 13, 2021 / 10:24 am

The Hill • Two hours ago … Rose McGowan ACCUSES Newsom’s Wife Of Bribery To Suppress Weinstein Scandal

Sep 13, 2021

• Marleen September 16, 2021 / 6:42 am

Rose said something about Oprah this September, too. So I had to look it up. I’m going to share a quotation from this fact check, but it wasn’t meant about Oprah. Systemic was additionally the theme in yesterday’s Senate hearing with the gymnasts.

I’ve been processing the accounts of Harvey Weinstein’s hideous behavior and haven’t been able to find the words to articulate the magnitude of the situation. Filmmaker James Schamus captured so much of what I’ve been feeling when he said: “This is the story of one predator and his many victims; but it is also a story about an overwhelming systemic enabling, and until that story is fully told we will fall far short of stopping future depredations on a similar scale.”

I added the emphasis.

• Marleen September 16, 2021 / 7:15 am

Rose McGowan B[lasts] Oprah support of ‘SICK power structure’ by associating with Weinstein, Simmons

• Marleen September 15, 2021 / 11:13 am

ON THE OTHER HAND **WHO** IS SUPPOSED TO HELP!!!! Check out today’s news on the FBI and the Olympic gymnasts!

8. Marleen September 16, 2021 / 8:50 am

The Republicans don’t have anything decent to offer (or that they are offering), so I’m not bothered that Gavin won out.

A little over an hour ago • Kim Iversen: Newsom’s ‘Virtue Signal’ Mandates, Israel Cases SPIKE …

• Marleen September 16, 2021 / 10:25 pm

It’s not only Gavin Newsom, of course. There’s New York. On this subject matter, I must point out that servers wearing masks while guests don’t isn’t really that unusual across the country. It’s even happening in Missouri. And I think it makes sense. It’s not a class thing, because whoever is serving in one situation can be the guest in another. What’s weird is the actual law [and practice even if it weren’t written in New York (city or state) or California], in New York, saying restrictions apply to everybody except basically famous people and their peeps. That’s just wrong. (And it’s not necessarily the guest’s faults, the guests who didn’t make the particular law that is.)

“Rising” for “The Hill” — Political Elite [… a]t NY Met Gala…