Fandango’s Provocative Question #134

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

When I was a young man, my primary sources for news were the daily newspaper, news programs on the three major commercial TV networks, and magazines such as Time and Newsweek.

But that was before the internet and before the proliferation of 24×7 cable news networks. Now I get most of my news from my iPhone’s newsfeed and from MSNBC and CNN. And, yes, I am old school enough that I’m still a reader of my local daily newspaper.

My provocative question for you this week is this…

What are your primary sources for news these days? Are you confident that your sources present the news accurately, fairly, and without bias? Or have you given up trying to keep up with the news anymore?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

34 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #134

1. Paula Light September 8, 2021 / 5:41 am

I like Google News because it has a variety of topics, not just politics and tragedies. I have mine set up to eliminate far right sources and crazy sites. I get a lot of animal stories, health info, and articles from Psychology Today. I also check out CNN and ABC.

I don’t believe that the political news is entirely accurate from any source. It’s all biased and we should be aware of this. Every site has a slant and an agenda. This is why I rarely make political posts or C&P a news link about politics. I do keep up with it though, flawed as it is…

2. Marleen September 8, 2021 / 7:03 am

I get news from LOTS of places. I avoid confirmation bias, as much as is reasonable. I not only seek “news” but look for source material as well. (For example, on the ivermectin topic, I’ll go to actual government websites.) Plus, even if I have a usual favorite, I won’t blindly follow.

Robby Soave: MSM Circulates FALSE Story, Fact Check FAILURE Hurts The Case For Vaccines

• Marleen September 8, 2021 / 7:11 am

Dems, Legacy Media SILENT On DAMNING Intercept Report On NIH, GOP Demands Fauci’s Resignation

• Marleen September 9, 2021 / 1:20 pm

…………

In an August 13, 2020 Instagram interview with actor Matthew McConaughey, Dr. Fauci was asked (at point 16:49) if he had millions of dollars invested in the vaccines. Dr. Fauci laughed … “Matthew… I am a government worker. I have a government salary.” He didn’t mention his $417,608 salary was the largest in the entire federal government.

…….

In comparison to Dr. Fauci: Speaker Nancy Pelosi will earn $223,500 this year. U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts will make $270,700, and Members in the House of Representatives and Senators will make $174,000. Four-star military generals outrank, but still fall below Dr. Fauci at $268,000 a year.

The 80-year-old Dr. Fauci holds a medical degree from Cornell University and began his 53-year career at NIH in 1968. He assumed his NIAID Director position in 1984 and has advised every president since President Ronald Reagan, though he serves directly under the NIH Director Francis Collins. [He] … qualifies for a full federal pension and social security under pre 1984 federal pension reform rules.

The Executive Branch includes 2.1 million federal agency employees, 1.4 million members of the military, and 500,000 postal employees. Federal employee salaries are generally capped at level IV of the Executive Schedule, which was $172,500 in 2019.

However, there are exceptions, as Dr. Fauci’s salary demonstrates. The exception exists to make federal salaries for doctors and scientists more competitive with the private-sector.

In our data at OpenTheBooks.com, there are three doctors, all working for HHS, who out-earn the U.S. President with 2019 incomes ranging from $406,000 to $417,000.

….

In 2008, President George W. Bush honored Dr. Anthony Fauci with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor.

….

• Marleen September 9, 2021 / 4:51 pm

…………………….

It’s time to get both Fauci and Collins in front of Congress, explicitly under oath, to explain. Perhaps they have a perfectly reasonable and consistent answer for these new questions. If not, they’d better bring lawyers.

……….

… It certainly does look like NIH and NIAID have either been deceptive or incompetent thus far in not disclosing these grants and their significance.

• Marleen September 8, 2021 / 7:26 am

In the following discussion, Joe (who I do not consider to be a news source except of his own experience [no pun intended] but an entertainer) calls something he accessed for care “the stuff they gave Trump” even though Trump was given a bunch of different stuff. Additionally, I have been a regular watcher of Rachel Maddow, so I do know she has been pushing the same “monoclonal antibodies” (while others on the same station

have been less favorable and even negative on monoclonal antibody treatment or business grift).

Joe’s COVID Experience, CNN’s Ivermectin Claims

• Marleen September 8, 2021 / 10:03 am

That inexplicable big white/blank block of space in the middle of a sentence in that 7:26 AM post is where I gave example (I did not give a blank block of space), from msnbc, of other anchors there at that station (MSNBC) who “have been less favorable and even negative on monoclonal antibody treatment or business grift” — I have no idea why the text I typed in didn’t come through. One person who has questioned the motivations on “the stuff they gave Trump” and the choice Maddow has touted several times is Joy-Ann Reid.

• Marleen September 8, 2021 / 7:27 am

Yesterday: DeSantis Opens Another Monoclonal Antibody Treatment Center

3. CARAMEL September 8, 2021 / 1:47 pm

I tend to watch the BBC Breakfast News before I head to work, and sometimes I google BBC website to read articles. I very rarely watch any other news broadcasts.

4. Marilyn Armstrong September 9, 2021 / 4:53 pm

Got you on the same day you posted! I am deluged with email and the political season is beginning. No matter how many times I unsubscribe, they’ll be back. They always come back. Post up in the morning.

5. Marleen September 11, 2021 / 1:15 pm

How Private Equity is DESTROYING America

Private equity firms are designed to buy up assets, maximize revenues, and squeeze costs. But that is having dramatic effects on American society. Private Equity Campaigns Manager for Americans for Financial Reform Ricardo Valadez (@RealBankReform) joins to discuss the path of devastation that private equity causes wherever it goes [including newsrooms and everything else].

Nearly 11 minutes long

6. Marleen September 13, 2021 / 7:48 pm

Ivermectin is a Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved … drug …. ivermectin has been widely used and is generally well tolerated.1,3 Ivermectin is not approved by the FDA for the treatment of any viral infection.

Proposed Mechanism of Action and Rationale for Use in Patients With COVID-19

…4,5 In addition…4,7-9 … Some studies of ivermectin have also reported potential anti-inflammatory properties, which have been postulated to be beneficial in people with COVID-19.10-12

7. Marleen September 16, 2021 / 6:32 pm

I really am liking this news source.

Here is a full episode of Gravitas | This one includes, within the first half, less than ten minutes per “US, UK & Australia launch new military pact: Is the West dumping Quad for Aukus?” (Plus, I find the other topics fascinating and in-depth as well.)

8. leigha66 September 18, 2021 / 1:55 pm

I basically rely on CBS or NBC and then local news on their affiliate stations. I do occasionally read my local newspaper too. As far as whether or not I trust them for the truth… is there anyone who is truthful anymore? I do take breaks from the news from time to time when my stress and depression levels are especially high… it is not often happy news.

9. Marleen September 25, 2021 / 11:15 am

I have appreciated this guy very much for specifics.

Doctor Campbell

Pandemics[,] ivermectin safety [and more]

113K views · 2 days ago

The main information for the episode is 26 minutes.

• Marleen September 25, 2021 / 11:18 am

Home ivermectin based kits in India

Dr. John Campbell

223,028 views
      Sep 22, 2021

Goa, home medical kit with
      ivermectin, zinc and vitamin D

• Marleen September 26, 2021 / 1:11 am

While watching MSNBC, I made a mental note that one of the weekend female hosts I like said that ivermectin is only approved by the FDA for humans to treat something other than COVID-19 — after she had said some people have been using animal paste for COVID-19. Another detail, though, is that humans still wouldn’t use the paste version (of animal concentration) even for what the FDA has recognized.

10. Marleen September 25, 2021 / 10:28 pm

On an hour called “Ayman” for MSNBC, this evening: Dr. Kavita Patel beginning at 37 minutes — “…….. Nothing about this process was normal, though.”

11. Marleen September 26, 2021 / 1:45 pm

I not-infrequently watched C-SPAN when I had cable. Got a little bit of that in, a few minutes ago (here at my mother’s place). I’ve found some similar service offered from a couple places, so far, on YouTube. Here’s one:

House holds hearing to review the Federal Reserve’s emergency lending powers