By the Numbers

From midnight Monday until noon on today. That’s 36 hours. That’s 2,160 minutes.

And in that 36 hour — 2,160 minute — period, my blog received 1,000 spam comments and 232 comments that went directly to trash. For a grand total of 1,232 bogus comments.

That’s an average of 34.2 spam and trash comments an hour, or more than 1.2 bogus comments every other minute for 36 straight hours.

There’s no way I can manually go through that many spam and trash comments manually. So I am mass deleting the comments in both my spam and trash folders. I apologize to any of you whose legitimate comments got caught up in these folders that were deleted.

I’m tired of this shit.

27 thoughts on “By the Numbers

1. rugby843 September 8, 2021 / 3:41 pm

Have you tried putting their addresses as single words to be picked up by spam in the blacklist section? That’s what I had to do more than once but it worked

Sent from my iPhone

2. newepicauthor September 8, 2021 / 3:49 pm

If you add more of your spammers to your Disallowed Comments section, then you will get lass Spam and more Trash. I am willing to bet that the same spammers are trying to make multiple comments on your posts and thus is the way to get rid of them. The Trash folder deletes comments automatically after 30 days and I never look in there any more and I have very few Spam comments now.

• Fandango September 8, 2021 / 10:31 pm

I already have a long list (at least three dozen) of blocked words and URLs, but they keep changing.

3. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing September 8, 2021 / 6:12 pm

At least its going into spam and not appearing on your blog. It’s just a chore to delete them I suppose and hope you are n to deleting good stuff. As Jim said maybe add to the disallowed list. More work though to do that 😕 Yes, it is annoying when you get such high numbers of spam. Sorry.

• Fandango September 8, 2021 / 10:38 pm

I don’t know, as I no longer look at them individually as I used to when I got maybe 10-20 a day.

4. Carol anne September 8, 2021 / 7:56 pm

Jesus! Thats an awful lot! Wonder why they’ve chosen your blog? That is really bad! Wish I could kick their asses! X

• Fandango September 8, 2021 / 10:41 pm

I wish I knew. I may wind up entirely disabling comments for a week or so to see if this stops.

5. Silver Stone September 8, 2021 / 9:22 pm

Woah…..that’s so much spam! I swear, WordPress loves to confuse us with what’s actually a spam comment and a genuine comment 🙄

Good luck with getting through them!

6. msjadeli September 8, 2021 / 9:25 pm

UGH. I got bombarded like that over a number of days once and it took a long time to get rid of them at 20 at a time. WP needs to step it up on their filters. They also need to make it easier to delete them when they do show up/

7. Books & Bonsai September 9, 2021 / 1:45 am

This doesn’t seem normal to me at all. Could be that the bots have gone haywire!

8. Nope, Not Pam September 9, 2021 / 2:52 am

I just ignore the spam. If people comment and I don’t respond, they usually reach out

9. pensitivity101 September 9, 2021 / 9:31 am

I closed comments on posts over 30 days old on he suggestion of another blogger and that seemed to solve a lot of the spam I got. I have quite a few today from one person, a long winded comment of no interest to me whatsoever (nothing remotely like yours though) and have blacklisted the person concerned. Maybe closing comments would be a good idea Fandango.

10. CARAMEL September 9, 2021 / 2:09 pm

How strange! I have sometimes had unusual increases in spam (that I only noticed when I looked at the spam folder and realized) but never that much.

11. leigha66 September 18, 2021 / 10:17 pm

That is crazy high numbers for spam. Something is amiss!