Weekend Writing Prompt — Newspaper

We are old school. We subscribe to our local, daily newspaper. My wife and I enjoy reading the physical paper while having our first cups of coffee in the morning.

I start with the sports section, followed by the business section. Then local news, national news, and opinion page. My wife enjoys the daily crosswords, sudoku, and Jumble.

Our mornings simply wouldn’t be complete without our daily newspaper.

(Exactly 68 words)

Written for Sammi Cox’s Weekend Writing Prompt, where the word is “newspaper.”

12 thoughts on “Weekend Writing Prompt — Newspaper

1. Marilyn Armstrong September 4, 2021 / 12:32 pm

Garry finally segued to online newspaper reading. When we lived in Boston, they actually delivered papers to our doorstep, but out here, they toss it somewhere on the top of the driveway — or in winter, throw it into a snow drift. We rarely actually SEE the papers. They get run over, covered by rain and mud and snow. So we get the NY Times and Washington Post — but NOT the Globe because it’s ridiculously expensive and they have not be willing to adjust the price for reading online.

I read news articles. Garry reads sports. Then we talk and he reads some new and I watch the game. Not too shabby. A pity about the Globe, though.

• Fandango September 4, 2021 / 3:43 pm

They toss our paper at the end of our driveway, but it’s only about 40 feet and it never snows here.

2. Nope, Not Pam September 5, 2021 / 3:23 am

It was nice when there was a physical copy. I used to scrapbook with mine 🙂

3. Keith's Ramblings September 5, 2021 / 6:54 am

I buy a proper paper every Saturday, I even like the smell of it! I read in the opposite direction to you, then end with the crossword!

My 68!

4. Lorraine September 6, 2021 / 4:05 am

We started getting the New York Times during the pandemic because they made an offer we couldn’t refuse: a whole week, including Sunday, for about the price of the Sunday paper. Our paper arrives around 10 ish. Well wrapped in plastic (which we recycle) and almost always landing on the same spot on our very short driveway.
    I skip around the paper, depending on my mood or the content. I do the Sunday crossword puzzle, and some of the daily wordplays; my husband does the daily crossword, and the mathmatical puzzles.
    It’s a nice routine. When done, we recyle the paper.

5. Bill September 7, 2021 / 5:49 am

Nice story I found comforting. But now, this laptop does it all. Yet, the recycling bin fills anyway.

6. Carol anne September 9, 2021 / 10:15 pm

At least the option of subscribing is still there! I’m happy you can subscribe if you enjoy it! X

7. leigha66 September 16, 2021 / 7:49 pm

I have considered subscribing to the physical paper again… my little part to keep an industry from crashing.