Government Overreach Hypocrisy

On Wednesday, after deliberate inaction on the part of the conservative U.S. Supreme Court, the “heartbeat bill” took effect in the state of Texas. It bans abortions after six weeks of pregnancy. Considering that most women don’t learn that they’re pregnant until just around that time, abortion has essentially just been outlawed in Texas.

And, of course, other Republican-led states are now falling all over themselves to enact restrictive abortion laws patterned after the Texas law.

I find it ironic that Republican law makers in Texas (and in other “red states”) decry government overreach when it comes to “personal liberties” such as mask mandates, COVID vaccinations, common sense gun laws, and federal oversight on virtual anything, but they’re quite comfortable with government overreach when it comes to a woman’s uterus and interfering with her ability to make sensitive reproductive health decisions privately with her medical provider.

26 thoughts on “Government Overreach Hypocrisy

1. JT Twissel September 4, 2021 / 10:37 am

They are worse than the Taliban because this is about power and not ideology.

2. msjadeli September 4, 2021 / 10:45 am

Fandango, we know none of it has anything to do with logic. If they want to start passing silly laws, I think one should be that the legislators who are behind this have a choice of either taking in the children born due to unavailability of abortion in and raising them or digging graves for the women who will seek back alley abortions who end up dying because of butchery.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 4, 2021 / 11:55 am

I can’t believe we’ve come back to where, for me, this all began in the 1960s. What is wrong with us that we ELECT these people so they CAN make laws?

3. XingfuMama September 4, 2021 / 11:13 am

Sharia law and fundamentalist Christian ideals are the same thing. This is not mere coincidence. They come from the same source. Islam went through the filter of Mohammad, and Christianity largely went through the filter of St. Paul, but they source from the same scripture. However, I think that the reason why the so-called conservatives want to outlaw abortion is more strategic than it appears: what they really want is for the government to decide. UNdoing Roe v. Wade is the goal because it says the decision is not the government’s to make. Once this precedent is “settled” I predict it will be a shockingly short time until we see a Uighur type situation state-side. It can happen here and it will. It will start with enforced abortions of minorities on welfare. Anyone who thinks this is about respect for human life is a fool.

• XingfuMama September 4, 2021 / 8:22 pm

That is certainly true, which is why I strongly believe that the Stephen Miller, Koch, Trumpy types would set out to do a pogrom ASAP. Remember the census results.

4. Marilyn Armstrong September 4, 2021 / 11:52 am

While I deeply feel for the women who are going to be badly hurt by these decisions, I still think we have to deal with climate change first and foremost. The best laws in the world (what would they be anyway?) won’t make up for an unlivable earth. Sean still thinks we are not stupid enough to let our species dies out for stupid-ass political reasons — but I’m not sure he is right. We are really, really, really STUPID this century.

I don’t know if you had a chance to read Sean Munger’s pieces on my site (or his) but his predictions are not only likely to happen — and maybe already ARE happening — but we aren’t going to like them. At all. I hope we aren’t around when all the things we fear the most are in power because we didn’t fix our world when we should and could have. If we think things are bad now, they are going to get much worse! Or, as Sean put it, “How do you look in red?”

I agree with him pretty much completely, but he has the doctorates to be able to make his statements stick. He IS a primary source. Note that he HAS found another platform. I don’t know if our stuff from WP is transferable to that format. I’m betting it isn’t. Which is a problem after more than 10 years and 12,000 posts on this tragic platform.

• Fandango September 4, 2021 / 12:14 pm

Yes, I read his stuff on your blog. Very disconcerting, to say the least.

5. lssattitudeofgratitude September 4, 2021 / 3:47 pm

It is disgusting to me to move so far backwards. I have a relative who spouts daily about her right to not wear a mask or get the vaccine because of her rights. Then in the next sentence says the government should ban all abortions for ANY reason. SMH

6. Marleen September 4, 2021 / 10:02 pm

On the day this was reported in the news, but not the day (or night) before, when we had been told there was a decision pending through midnight, I took my mom to KFC. We were in the drive up, and… that’s a whole story… what I want to share is that when I additionally ordered a Coke for my mom after we’d already received what we had pre-decided was our order, my mom started telling me to ask the lady handing things out the window when she is due. I said, no, that I wouldn’t do it. For one thing, I just wouldn’t. It’s not my business, and she’s only there to earn a few bucks and get the order right; not to have me pry. Secondly, she didn’t look pregnant to me. My mother kept insisting and said then she would do it herself, like it had to be done. She wasn’t just curious; there was a bit of an edge in her voice. I, therefore, said no loud enough for the lady to hear… and in hopes that my mother would take in what I was saying. Not to be deterred, this woman I have called mom yelled across the car, “When is your baby due?!” The lady looked confused as well as intruded upon. I said, “You’re wrong, Mom,” slightly downcast. I thanked the lady, with an apologetic tone. She said to me to have a nice day, with a sympathetic tone. (On top of that, the lady was black. And I had to explain, all the way home, that things have changed while we used to have to put up with all kinds of assaults. The fact that the lady was black wasn’t spoken. My mom is of a time and place where you don’t talk about it, even though you’re racist. She asked me (disingenuously) why the lady should be “ashamed” and how it’s not our “business with that belly sticking out.” Later that day, this mother of mine said something about somone being black and whispered the word with her tongue slightly protruded on the L.) Texas also made someone else’s pregnancy every other mother fucker’s business. But we aren’t in Texas. I think this woman sees picking on other people as absolution for herself.

7. writerclan1 September 4, 2021 / 10:53 pm

Powerful warning Slogan, displayed on that Texas flag photograph. Scarey Times folks. Buckle Up Your Seat-Belts. It is going to be a Ride.

8. RuthScribbles September 5, 2021 / 6:36 am

as a Texas resident, I want to flee, but no where feels safe. and now folks can carry a gun without a permit! oh fun! the billboard i saw is a welcome to Texas sign with the handmaid’s picture.

9. leigha66 September 16, 2021 / 7:47 pm

I hate to think what the world will be like when I eventually have grandkids… backwards is where we are headed with this decision. This is so wrong. Great post!