MLMM Tale Weaver — The Sound of Silence

For this week’s Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Tale Weaver prompt, Stephanie asks us to “write a tale from the perspective of someone who has lost the sense of hearing.” All they hear now, she says, is the sound of silence.

I’m not writing a fictional story today, as the tale I’m weaving is real. It’s personal. And what you’re about to read is a bit of a whine about both what I don’t hear and what I do hear.

You see, I’m deaf in one ear. I had surgery almost two years ago to remove a growth (cholesteatoma) in the middle ear of my left ear. By the time that growth was removed, it had eaten away most of the small bones that connect the eardrum to the inner ear.

In a functioning ear, sound waves, which are really vibrations in the air around us, are collected by the ears and are funnelled into the ear canals to the eardrums. The eardrum vibrations caused by those sound waves move the chain of tiny bones in the middle ear, transferring the sound vibrations into the cochlea of the inner ear. Without those small bones to transmit sound waves (vibrations) from the eardrum to the inner ear, hearing is lost.

I can still adequately hear out of my right ear, so I haven’t lost my hearing altogether. But I can no longer hear in stereo and I can’t hear what people are saying if they are sitting on my left side. It’s annoying.

But the one thing I can hear out of my left ear — out of both ears, actually — is a constant, high pitched ringing sound. It’s a sound that only I can hear, and because it doesn’t come from sound waves, I can “hear” it loud and clear, even in my otherwise deaf left ear.

This sound is tinnitus, a condition I’ve suffered from for more than half of my life. There is nothing that would give me more pleasure than to wake up one morning and not have to deal with the ringing sounds coming from both of my ears. I’d love to experience the sound of silence. At least silence from the ever present ringing of tinnitus.

11 thoughts on “MLMM Tale Weaver — The Sound of Silence

• Fandango September 3, 2021 / 1:25 pm

Nope. I just have to make sure whoever is talking is to my right.

1. Sadje September 3, 2021 / 9:27 am

My sympathies on tinnitus. I know how hard it must be

2. rugby843 September 3, 2021 / 10:31 am

Seems like time has passed so fast but I sympathize, I wouldn’t want that.😕🤗

Sent from my iPhone

3. Stephanie Colpron September 3, 2021 / 1:40 pm

It appears that prompt was one that concerned more people than I even expected. My husband lost hearing in one of his ears too and also experiences that high pitched never ending sound. I can only imagine how cumbersome it must be; and people are likely not to pay attention since you hear well in your right ear.
    Thank you for sharing your story 🙂 I appreciate that.

4. Nope, Not Pam September 4, 2021 / 2:37 am

I’m so sorry about the tinnitus. My grandmother had it and though she never complained, you could tell she was never at peace 😟

5. Lorraine September 5, 2021 / 2:17 am

Tinnituius sucks! I experience strange sounds in my ears, and my tinnitutus is usually like a loud white noise machine. My husband’s version is a roaring whooshing sound.
    There are supposed to be “cures” for tintituis (my spell check on the internet has disappeared so sorry for the typos), including devices that mask the ringing with white noise. Rather ironic for me, but I guess works for others.
    Thanks for sharing your personal experiences with sound and hearing (or the lack there of)

• Fandango September 5, 2021 / 7:24 am

I use a white noise sound machine at night. It does help mask the ringing sounds in my head from tinnitus a little.

6. leigha66 September 15, 2021 / 9:05 pm

I hear things… every little thing. I think it is because I was raised with noise always around – my mom used to leave a radio on as I was growing up to teach me how to sleep through noise, but now if it is “quiet” I hear all sorts of noises – machines humming, cars going by down the block, the wind, the creaks of an old house. So I never hear “nothing,” I can imagine tinnitus is like that turned up to a higher volume.