Fandango’s Provocative Question #133

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

On Sunday, for my Who Won the Week post, I designated “evolution” as the week’s winner because, for the first time, more than half of American adults surveyed said that they believe that modern humans developed from earlier species of animals. But at the same time, around 40% of American adults ascribe to a strictly creationist view of human origins, believing that God created them in their present form within roughly the past 10,000 years.

The study suggested that education, specifically having a college degree, is one of strongest factors leading to the acceptance of evolution. It also identified religious fundamentalism as the strongest factor leading to the rejection of evolution.

So with this in mind, my provocative question this week is this…

Do you believe that modern human beings, Homo sapiens, evolved between 150,000 to 200,000 years ago from earlier species? Or do you believe that God created humans in their present form within the past 10,000 years? Or, if you believe something else, what is it?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

32 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #133

1. Paula Light September 1, 2021 / 6:01 am

Evolved. I don’t have anything else to say about it, so I’m just answering here!

• Fandango September 1, 2021 / 8:32 am

The only thing I have to say is that I can’t believe 40% still believe in creationism and the young earth theory.

2. Mister Bump UK September 1, 2021 / 7:03 am

I’ve met religious people for whom it is not an either/or. I’m not quite sure what their actual beliefs have been, buy maybe one of them will respond?
    My old Physics professor was a devout Christian – and he knew exactly how the world was created!

3. RuthScribbles September 1, 2021 / 7:15 am

i used to believe 10,000!years ago and then i didn’t care, now i believe evolution theory.

4. Marleen September 1, 2021 / 11:06 am

I don’t believe humans evolved from other species, but I believe humans have probably evolved. I have no idea how long that has gone on, but I’m not devoted to a you g earth idea. Something I’m curious about is that science tells us we all came from one black woman long ago. That (coming from one person) seems a little incongruous with evolution. Additionally, I tend to think of the story in the Bible as representative of what happened with humans in one location or area. It might even be poetic.

• Marleen September 23, 2021 / 4:52 pm

“Seeds embedded in the footprints were radiocarbon dated and analyzed by the U.S. Geological Survey to establish their age. The research dramatically extends the range for the coexistence of humans and Pleistocene [ice age] megafauna and confirms that humans were present in North America before the major glacial advances at the height of the last ice age closed migration routes from Asia,” a release read.

The discovery points to human occupation in southern New Mexico beginning at least 23,000 years ago — thousands of years earlier than previously believed.

5. CARAMEL September 1, 2021 / 12:44 pm

I think it would be far more of a miracle to have got this far without a designer. My physics teachers and maths teachers were of the same mind – the mathematical possibilities of random chances in favour of life are mindbogglingly colossal. I think animals can adapt, but there are too many extraordinary examples of engineering in nature, from the microscopic to the gigantic for me to not see design and intelligence.

6. Nope, Not Pam September 1, 2021 / 1:20 pm

I believe we evolved, but I also believe that everyone is entitled to their own view 🙂

• Fandango September 1, 2021 / 1:57 pm

Except for those who want to impose their view on the rest of us.

7. Myrna Migala September 2, 2021 / 7:29 am

I believe that God already told us the beginning, it is written! He also gave us the freedom to believe or make up another story. I believe that what is written is not imposing on others since we have free will.

• Fandango September 2, 2021 / 7:44 am

What is written is not imposing on others. It’s those who believe “what is written,” which was written by people, is the only way to believe, who are the ones who attempt to impose their beliefs on others.

8. msjadeli September 2, 2021 / 8:34 am

Fandango, I think it is possible that extraterrestrials visited and shared technology with humans at some point that made us fast-forward with technology. Too fast, as look at where we are now.