Throwback Thursday — Motorcycling

There’s a new prompt in town. It’s being run by Maggie, at From Cave Walls and by Lauren at LSS Attitude of Gratitude. The two will alternate hosting and the idea of the prompt is for them to give us a topic and for us to write a post in which we share our own memories or experiences about the given topic. This week, Maggie chose the topic of “learning to drive.”

I hate to break the rules on the first edition of this prompt, but I’m going to bend them just a bit. My post is not about learning to drive. Instead, it’s about my embarrassing experience when I attempted to get my motorcycle license.

I got my driver’s license when I was 16, but I was approaching 30 when I decided to buy my first motorcycle. I guess getting ready to turn 30 gave me pause, and indulging in a motorcycle was an attempt to stay in Neverland. I didn’t want to grow up.

So, I bought myself a Kawasaki KZ400, exactly like the one pictured below.

Anyway, in order to legally ride a motorcycle, you had to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, take a written test, and then pass a motorcycle riding test. I aced the written part, but I didn’t do so well on the road test.

One part of the road test is maneuvering the cycle around a bunch of traffic cones. The cones were lined up in a slalom-like manner on a small track that had a curb on one side and a stone wall on the other. I was about two-thirds of the way through that course, when I went wide around one of the cones. That’s when the cycle’s fairing (windscreen and covering around the handlebars) clipped the stone wall, causing me to lose control of the steering.

The bike and I hit the ground. A bunch of traffic safety instructors and cops ran over to where the motorcycle and I were sprawled out on the ground. “Are you okay? Are you injured?”

“I’m fine,” I responded, “except for my wounded pride.” Then I looked up at the test monitor who who was helping me to my feet. “Does this mean I failed the road test?” Based upon his expression, I knew that was a dumb question.

Long story short, I returned to the DMV a week later, retook the road test, and made it through without further incident.

All that said, this motorcycle road test debacle was one of the most mortifying experiences of my life.

26 thoughts on “Throwback Thursday — Motorcycling

1. Maggie August 26, 2021 / 7:32 pm

Fandango, welcome aboard. I think your post was perfect for the prompt. I was only ever on a motorcycle a few times and then only as a passenger, but I loved it. Probably not the ideal outcome for your first shot at the test but you persevered. The real question is, do you still have a bike today? I’m glad you decided to participate!

• Fandango August 26, 2021 / 10:06 pm

I had two others after my Kawasaki, but I no longer own a motorcycle. There are times, though, when I miss it.

2. rugby843 August 26, 2021 / 7:49 pm

Both my sons had motorcycles, didn’t last long. Even my oldest grandson has one. My nephews also. They don’t get respect on the road and are extremely dangerous, but I see the appeal😁

Sent from my iPhone

3. Amita August 26, 2021 / 8:23 pm

Quite interesting Fandango, your way of expression is good.

4. Sadje August 26, 2021 / 9:34 pm

This isn’t too bad as far as motorcycles 🏍 go.

5. Shweta Suresh August 26, 2021 / 10:31 pm

I have had a four wheeler license for nearly 8 years but I’m terrified of two wheeler. I haven’t even attempted to go for the test. I’m happy driving my car! I’m glad that you managed to ace the test the second time

6. lssattitudeofgratitude August 26, 2021 / 10:42 pm

Your story is right on target Fandango. Thanks for participating and giving us a shout out. I have never driven a motorcycle, just been a passenger. It was cool in high school to be on the back holding tight to a guy driving along. So glad you went back. Pride was reinstated for sure.

7. Steve Tanham August 26, 2021 / 11:43 pm

Been there, done something very similar… hurts your pride more than your knees! Lovely bike.

8. Marleen August 27, 2021 / 12:04 am

If that debacle was one of the most mortifying experiences and the others in the category weren’t much worse, you haven’t had much go wrong in your life. 😁

Two of my sons have had motorcycles. My oldest son did but is now married. And his wife doesn’t want him to be taking chances. One of the others still has a motorcycle.

The one who still has a motorcycle now also had one. He was in an accident wherein a teen girl turned into him at a traffic light. A dad showed up and offered my son a thousand dollars on the spot. It’s wasn’t even supposed to be instead of calling the insurance company. He accepted it. (He was fine.) Sometime later, it was stolen. So he has a different one now. It was kinda fun, one day, when I was riding in a car with my oldest son and we happened to be passed by this other son on his motorcycle. We don’t live in the same neighborhood and weren’t in the area where I live. My oldest son was taking me, in his pickup truck, to pick up some items from an estate sale. And we were passing by the very “scene of the crime” on another day.

• Marleen August 27, 2021 / 12:14 am

… I was riding in a vehicle …

(And there could be at least a couple other edits, one quite obvious, but I’ll leave it at that.)

9. Nope, Not Pam August 27, 2021 / 3:08 am

I’m sure your not the first to fall on the test 🙂

10. julesbikepoems September 2, 2021 / 12:31 pm

Well done for getting back on and getting through the test 😀 On the day I passed my bike test I got stopped by the police for riding at 50mph in a 30mph zone on the way home. oops, I told the police officer I had just passed and he said I should know better. 😀

11. leigha66 September 9, 2021 / 6:37 pm

An embarrassing incident for sure. Do you ever wish you still had your bike?

• Fandango September 9, 2021 / 10:23 pm

Nah. I’m at the age where I’m better off with four wheels than with two.