Fandango’s Provocative Question #132

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

I recently read that the actor, Jake Gyllenhaal, is among a small but growing group of celebrities who say they rarely take daily showers or baths. “More and more,” Gyllenhaal says, “I find bathing to be less necessary.” He believes that daily bathing strips the body of its natural, healthy oils and changes the biome of the skin. Other actors, like Ashton Kutcher, Bradley Cooper, Cameron Diaz, Matthew McConaughey, and Brad Pitt, have apparently shunned daily bathing or using deodorant.

This piqued my curiosity, so I Googled daily hygiene and saw that some well respected dermatologists suggest that if you don’t have a personal, essential need, like getting dust, grime, or germs cleared off, daily bathing can actually be detrimental to your skin.

One article I came across noted that when you shower daily, you dry out your skin, especially if you are scrubbing with an abrasive material or soap. Further, you can deplete the essential oils, lipids, and bacteria that help your skin fight off inflammation, maintain a smooth look, and reinforce its protective barrier.

I’ve always showered daily, but after I told my wife what I read, she suggested, given the severe drought and water shortages we are experiencing in northern California, that it might be prudent for us consider cutting back to every other day, or even every third day to shower.

So with this in mind, my provocative question this week is this…

Do you regularly shower or bathe daily? If not, how often do you shower or bathe? If you do shower or bathe daily, is there anything that might persuade you to do so less often?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

32 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #132

1. Nope, Not Pam August 25, 2021 / 4:35 am

I used to shower each day, but when I cut back my exercise I also cut back on showering. It just didn’t seem as necessary

2. Terveen Gill August 25, 2021 / 4:51 am

Every day. Without fail. It’s too hot and muggy here. And I exercise daily.

3. rugby843 August 25, 2021 / 6:37 am

Living with a bag attached to your abdomen it’s every other day, hoping the adhesive stuck device doesn’t irritate my skin as much. If it gets wet from a shower it has to be replaced.

4. CARAMEL August 25, 2021 / 7:43 am

My goodness – I suddenly have gone off all of the celebrities you listed!!!

OK….I understand why this is an interesting question in view of efficient use of water.
    But even when we have stayed and lived in parts of the world without the kind of mod cons we are used to, everyone did wash themselves daily in some manner. They had to be careful with their use of water, but hygiene was always important – washing themselves and washing clothes.

I should probably check, but what is the water usage of industry compared to people using water for personal hygiene? Someone gave me some crazy figures about how much water the wine industry uses in South Australia – I believe the driest state in Australia – and it was colossal. I can’t remember how many litres of water it takes to produce a litre of wine – but it just does not make sense. I mean – it must make a lot of income for the state, but at the same time, the demand it puts on resources and the harm it can do to wildlife – it sometimes seems a little bonkers.

I have seen areas which have been turned into giant fruit growing enterprises – and use mammoth amounts of water – and then ship their produce to a country thousands of miles away….because….well, why? Because that land wants their strawberries all year round rather than when they are in season locally. So if that means crazy uses of resources and a heavy carbon footprint – well the people who like strawberries are happy and presumably the growers are making a decent profit for it to be worth it. I have also seen scary amounts of plastic discarded in those same fruit growing area, which was entangled in the land, making it’s way into local rivers and into the sea, and into the bellies of marine life. All of which seems crazy.

When it comes to what dermatologist think – well – it sometimes seems as if the experts change their opinions more often than they change their knickers. But for thousands of years, mankind has understood the importance of good hygiene – and most people rich and poor have made it a priority, due to infection control etc

Are the dermatologists suggesting something like a flannel wash? Or are they saying don’t wash at all for your skin’s sake? I am a little confused.

There is a lot that is totally upside down and inside out about the way this world operates, meaning that because of crazy amounts of wastage in some sectors all for the sake of profit, others are either extremely limited when it comes to resources like water, having to either walk many miles to a well for water, or rely on external aid to make water more accessible. Or other parts of the world, where there is established infrastructure, including every mod con, and people who care about the state of the planet, global warming, climate change, and see the need to make every day decisions like switching from single use plastic to reusable bottles, petrol cars to electrical cars – which is all good and comes from noble motives.

I personally would prefer for individuals to have enough water to keep their bodies and cloths clean, and see less wastage when it comes to industry.

Oh and then there are fancy gardens. I heard the neighbours arguing about their lawn. They turn on the sprinklers and they also have a system that waters the flower beds daily. One of them forgot to switch it off and it was going all night. I heard shouting and one of them said, “did you know that the sprinkler uses the same amount of water in ten minutes as a full bath tub of water”. I think they must be using between four-en bath tubs of water on their gardens every single day – and the night they forgot to switch the sprinklers off – I dread to think how much water was wasted!

But I still would prefer they showered each day!

• Melanie B Cee August 25, 2021 / 9:33 am

I can’t believe that such people, who are in the public eye, would do something like that. Especially actors. Their image is very important and I think all of those Fandango listed have just taken a big hit. I know I’ll never look at them the same. Ew.

• CARAMEL August 25, 2021 / 10:41 am

I am definitely someone who showers daily, but then I do work with people who are ill every day. So at the end of my work day, washing who knows what kind of germs off my body and uniform seem important. Plus, I am on my feet all day walking up and down, wearing PPE, so I am sure I must sweat enough to qualify for a shower!

I do think that in the Western world, we perhaps take water for granted. But I think good hygeine is important. Perhaps it would be good for us to learn how to use less water when we wash. Maybe a flannel wash is sufficient. I don’t know. I have always felt as if the condition of my skin seemed more dependent on how much water I drink, what I eat. Over the years, I stopped using cosmetics – except for fancy shmancy occasions, which seemed to make my facial skin very happy. I don’t use abrasives/exfoliants because if I do, my skin gets upset. But I do always wash my skin with water. I think not washing my face/body with water would be hard to get used to.

• Melanie B Cee August 26, 2021 / 11:12 am

That’s only good hygiene. You do come in contact with Covid infected persons then? I like the ‘sponge bath’ (flannel to you I think) now and then if I’m really tired or in pain. And the hair is mandatory every day, as even though it’s sparse and very very fine now, it still feels greasy and dirty to me if it goes unwashed! The flannel was is sufficient for people like myself who are mostly isolated, but in your case probably the full on shower is a better idea for your safety! Take care Mel! 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong August 26, 2021 / 1:12 pm

I’m not sure that daily bathing and personal cleanliness is the same thing. And yes, Americans use per family a STAGGERING amount of water per household. There are a lot of methods of cleanliness — NOT just bathing or showering.

• CARAMEL August 26, 2021 / 2:34 pm

I wondered about this question – I can understand the concerns of conserving water being an issue. although I do think hygiene is a very important use of water. But the other side of it seemed to be the dermatologists – were they suggesting not going for longer periods without washing for the sake of your skin? I didn’t really understand the dermatology side of things. I just know that when I come home from work, I want to take my uniform off and decontaminate it and I want to make sure I get rid of the germies floating on me.

• Marleen August 26, 2021 / 7:21 pm

You’ve absolutely got to keep doing what you’re doing. As for the me, and as for skin, I’m better off if I soak at least once per week. That’s an access issue and a time issue (not every place has a tub). It’s more efficient, in terms of water, to have a bath. (And then shower off.)

• Fandango August 26, 2021 / 10:00 pm

As someone who has always showered daily, I was intrigued by the fact that a number of dermatologists have suggested that, unless you have a job that requires daily bathing, such as in the medical profession, or one where you get dirty as part of your work and need to wash off dirt, grime, or grease, after you have done something strenuous (e.g., working out at the gym, jogging, playing tennis) that caused you to perspire, most people don’t NEED to shower or bathe daily and doing so could be detrimental to healthy skin and hair. I was not expressing an opinion as to whether daily bathing is necessary, unnecessary, hygienic, or non-hygienic. I was merely asking what people thought about daily bathing, especially for those of us who, like me, live a relatively sedentary lifestyle. Saving water is a component of the question, but it was more about people’s bathing habits or routines.

• CARAMEL August 27, 2021 / 12:46 am

It is interesting to me, sorry I was not intending to be confrontational. I suppose in my own case, most of the work I have done over the years has been very active – working on construction sites I ended up filthy, and yes, within the medical profession I feel it is important to “decontaminate”.

I can imagine a flannel wash is more efficient than a shower (or bath) but are the dermatologists saying just to cut down the frequency of all forms of washing – including a flannel wash?

• Fandango August 27, 2021 / 7:16 am

Apparently taking a cloth to clean your “pits” and your “privates” daily may be better for you skin than standing in the shower or soaking in the tub daily.

• Marleen August 27, 2021 / 9:07 am

I don’t “aim” (with soap) for most of my body, in the shower. And you’re not even, well “we” aren’t even, supposed to use soap in the we-specific nether region… so I don’t (but I do get the butt). And I go for the pits and run water over the rest of me. I’m gonna have to say different people are different on the macro question, and not just in temperament or preference. My skin is noticeably better with regular exposure to water. I would have been doing this by swimming, but I noticed the chlorine affected the health of my hair (even swimming less than once per week). I do love swimming, though, so I might make that trade-off in the future.

5. Lou Carreras August 25, 2021 / 9:38 am

I do shower daily, but I do not use much soap if it’s not needed, and I don’t shampoo my hair daily. I’ve been told that it’s using overly hot water, too much soap, conditioners and harsh materials that does the damage – not the application of water.
    When I taught media I used to remind students that celebrities, and media outlets are money earning concerns. When they don’t make the news or get publicity they don’t earn. Just like with Fox News – don’t believe everything you hear.

• Marleen August 26, 2021 / 11:28 pm

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

6. RuthScribbles August 25, 2021 / 10:21 am

I used to. Now only when I get sweaty and dirty puttering in the yard. And i’m Doctor days! My skin has thanked me.

7. Marleen August 25, 2021 / 4:22 pm

I have found, in these recent years, that I personally no longer need to wash my hair daily. I still clean the rest of myself every day… whether via bath or shower or both — my personal preference being a hand shower, which I hope to install, at the side of the tub. And I like to clean my face twice a day, although one of those times can be with rosewater or an essential oil toner (not, due to packaging, that I see theses choices as helping the environment).

If I were doing a lot of sweaty things, I’d add to this. I don’t live in a region that needs to ration. Meanwhile, there is a spring on the property where I am right now. All of the water used to go through a local filtration in the basement. My mother changed this and removed the filter system, without my approval. I would have kept the filtration system, too, at least for watering plants and a bit of lawn in case of a dry summer and for an outdoor shower.

8. Hetty Eliot August 25, 2021 / 5:49 pm

Ten minute hot shower, every day, I don’t care how sick I am, I don’t care how dried up I get, I’m getting in there and lathering myself up head to toe three times. I was in a car accident and I still dragged my ass into the shower when I got home from the ER for my second shower of the day because the ER is gross.

9. leigha66 September 9, 2021 / 10:59 am

Usually I shower every other day. In the winter I occasionally spread it out to every third day as my skin gets too dry. And if I have a day where I get overly hot and sweaty or dirty I will of course take a quick shower to clean up.

• Fandango September 9, 2021 / 10:10 pm

I’m also showering every other day now. So far, so good!