Truthful Tuesday — Getting Around

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts, and this week Frank wants to know…

If you live somewhere that it’s essential to own a vehicle for day-to-day living, if public transportation where you live were to suddenly be improved to the point that it became a viable alternative to taking your own vehicle, would you still feel the need to own a vehicle? On the flip side, if you do live where there is decent public transportation, do you still find it necessary to own a vehicle?

Before we moved from San Francisco to the suburbs in the East Bay, we had a car but we rarely drove it. There were, within three blocks of where we lived, multiple bus lines that could get us virtually anywhere within the city that we needed to go. And with our senior citizens discounts, it was ridiculously cheap for us to take the bus.

Yes, we still owned a car. But 90% of the time it sat in our garage. We did use it when we visited our son and his wife, who live in the East Bay. Or when we had a large shop to do at the grocery store. But maybe that amounted to using our car once a week at the most.

Once we moved to the East Bay in early 2020, we started using our car a lot more because there is no public transit in our immediate area. But shortly after we moved to our new place, the pandemic hit and a lockdown was imposed, so our car driving was minimized. We even leveraged grocery delivery services.

A few weeks ago we bought an electric car. In that two week period we’ve only put around 140 miles on it, including a drive into San Francisco (about 80 miles round trip). So we’re not really driving all that much. And I feel good about driving an EV when we do drive, as it’s not spewing pollutants into the atmosphere.

To Frank’s specific question: if public transportation where we live now were to suddenly be improved to the point that it became a viable alternative to taking our own vehicle, would we still own a car? Yes, but we would definitely use public transportation as much as possible.

9 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Getting Around

1. Sadje August 24, 2021 / 9:34 am

Driving an EV is a great decision. Saving the planet.

2. Lou Carreras August 24, 2021 / 10:06 am

I grew up in NYC, and didn’t have a car till I was in my thirties. I just normally lived in places where there was at least adequate trans. Only when I lived in Maine was it a hardship, and my bike was indispensable for getting to and fro.
    I’d love to have really good public trans again. From experience I know how it’s a great alternative to car. Besides, if you are a people watcher it is unbeatable as a form of entertainment and education.

• Fandango August 24, 2021 / 12:08 pm

Yes, that part about being a people watcher is very true. Some funny, weird, and strange people to watch.

3. rugby843 August 24, 2021 / 10:48 am

Ivan no longer drive but the buses here leave a lotto be desired, plus the routes are not near me

4. JT Twissel August 24, 2021 / 12:54 pm

Definitely prefer public transportation – too many nutty drivers and road rage out there!

5. Marleen August 24, 2021 / 2:36 pm

I like having a car. Period. (I also like to drive the car; I’m not hopeful about self-driving cars.) However, in addition, if public transportation were handy in my environment, I could enjoy that.