Share Your World — 8-23-21

Melanie has graced us with another installment of Share Your World. Here we go.

Can you parallel park (if you drive)? If you don’t drive, can you still skip?

I’ve always been pretty good at parallel parking, but with my brand new EV, when I shift into reverse, a rear camera comes on, displaying a color image of what’s behind my car on my “infotainment center.” So now, parallel parking is a cinch.

Do you prefer early morning or late evening? Or something in between?

I’m usually up between 6 and 7 every morning. But by around 10 at night I’m starting to crash. So I prefer early mornings to late evenings.

Do you like avocados?

I can take ‘em or leave ‘em.

Is mind or matter more real?

Everything that exists in the world and that we can see and touch is made of matter. How we perceive and feel about this matter comes from our mind. As to which is more real, without the mind, does it really matter? Does anything really matter if the mind is not there to perceive it? To see it? To feel it?

Bonus Question

Are people in this current generation less or more sensitive than people from past generations?

What is considered to be the current generation? My wife and I are Baby Boomers. My daughter is supposedly a late Gen Xer and my son is an early Millennial, although I consider them to be pretty much from the same generation. So which one of us, who is still living, is from the current or past generation?

My short answer to this question is that I have no idea. I think all generations are sensitive, but probably not to the same things or to the same extent. In the end, though, does it matter?

19 thoughts on “Share Your World — 8-23-21

1. Melanie B Cee August 23, 2021 / 12:59 pm

Thanks, Fandango, for Sharing Your World. There’s an old saying “Those who matter don’t mind and those who mind don’t matter. Perhaps that answers your last rhetorical question better than I could? 😉 Very philosophical answers to those last two questions indeed! I’m with you now, an early bird instead of the night owl I always was when I was younger. Something about those later night hours just makes me exhausted. Good thing I gave up the party life! 😛 I’m glad you have a vehicle that you’re comfortable driving. I’ve seen those back-up cameras and always wondered how much they’d bug me. They’re certainly useful in tight spots though I’m sure! Have a fantastic week! 😀

• Fandango August 23, 2021 / 10:05 pm

Thanks, Melanie. You have a great week, too!

2. Marilyn Armstrong August 23, 2021 / 1:07 pm

I really love living out here where parking isn’t an issue. I used to be good at it. Now? I haven’t had to park between two cars in years.

I think every generation is sensitive when they are young. As we age, we grow out of the hyper-sensitivity of youth because we have to. There’s work and relationships and LIFE. Times change and we change with the times and with our experiences. Which is as it should be.

But honestly? I don’t enough young people to judge and anyway, how can you judge a generation?

• Fandango August 23, 2021 / 10:07 pm

“…how can you judge a generation?” Simply by making generation-alities. Get it? 😏

3. Marleen August 23, 2021 / 3:54 pm

Per the bonus: I married somone (a boomer) who said, of himself, that he was very sensitive. It seemed important to him, too. I later encountered his definition of what it is to be sensitive. It was about his attachment to easily feeling hurt and neglected (in other words his making a virtue of being a narcissist). I think millennials are more considerate (in large part while everyone is an individual). I’m not sure, yet, about genZ.

• Marleen August 23, 2021 / 5:32 pm

And… I’m going to continue in reverse.

Is mind or matter more real?

My mother took down a combination of I don’t know how many pieces of curtaining that she’s had — for like ten years straight without cleaning — up on the front, large stained-glass set of windows. I liked that she was taking these down, and I was putting a small table and two chairs in front of the window. But then she started shaking out the curtains inside the living room. I reminded her, calmly, that this should be done outside (about five steps away from where she was already standing). I thought I was “reminding” her, but she was unmoved; as if the concept had never been part of her thinking. She likes to be stubborn, so she continued in place. I tried several other combinations of wording to convey that spreading dust and whatever into indoor air is and has always been considered unhealthy. I finally picked the things up and tossed them out the door. She brought the whole thing up, later, as if I was (hours later) not in a good “mood” in her judgment. There were no indicators of me being in a bad mood, and I had totally moved on. She came up with multiple excuses for why she had been doing what she was doing because she wanted to wash the fabric (while I had no interest in the topic any longer). Nope; it matters that the air inside be healthy, and not that she tell herself whatever she wants to believe. Next time I went out to the car (on a far side of the house), she had put all the spring-loaded rods in a place indicating that they were trash. These things aren’t cheap, so I smuggled them off to a better place.

Do you like avocados?

I actually love avacados.

Do you prefer early morning or late evening? Or something in between?

I like all hours, except say three to five AM. My mother has been going to bed at roughly 7:30 in the evening. She has explained that her parents made their twin daughters (my mom and her sister) go to bed early when they were growing up. Other kids would be playing outside, in the summer, and these girls were expected to go to sleep. I knew a set of parents like this when I had my firstborn child. I thought it was weird. When I heard that this oddity had been found in my own family, I told somone that it might’ve depressed me for my entire life had I been made to go to bed at even eight when I was little. I’ll go with my preference for late evenings.

Can you parallel park (if you drive)? If you don’t drive, can you still skip?

I’m good at parallel parking and teaching parallel parking. I’m not as good at skipping as I used to be (due to short-term pain that can develop in a knee), but I was good at it long enough to teach it.

4. Nope, Not Pam August 23, 2021 / 4:23 pm

I must agree, your generation doesn’t matter, it’s what you do with your life that counts

5. Laura August 24, 2021 / 5:20 am

That generational question is nicely handled. I had a tough time deciding which way to go.

6. Terveen Gill August 24, 2021 / 5:27 am

These are always so interesting. Personal information has its own charm. 🙂

7. J-Dub August 24, 2021 / 5:25 pm

I liked your mind or matter answer and went with something similar. Regarding sensitivity sometimes I think that’s a personality trait not an age thing.

• Fandango August 24, 2021 / 10:39 pm

Thanks. And I agree that sensitivity isn’t necessarily a generational trait.

8. leigha66 September 8, 2021 / 12:02 pm

Good answers Fandango! I too am one of those take it or leave it avocado people… it is just not a favorite, but I will eat it.