Supercharged

Eleven days ago my wife an I purchased an electric vehicle (EV). So far it’s been a great experience except for one thing: the time it takes to charge the car. As I explained in this post, the car comes with a portable charger that plugs into a standard household outlet. But charging on a 120 Volt, 20 Amp circuit wall outlet is excruciatingly slow. Sort of like watch golf on TV. 🥱

So I made the decision to purchase and install a “Level 2” charger in my garage, which charges the car eight times faster than the “Level 1” standard wall outlet. Eight times faster! Woo hoo!

Well, that Level 2 charger is now installed. I guess I could have installed it myself, but in order to avoid death by electrocution or causing an electrical fire and burning my house down, I hired a professional electrician. In less than three hours he had the JuiceBox charging station installed and ready to rock and roll.

And rock and roll it did. Within five hours of Level 2 charging, my EV was charged enough so that, at my typical rate of driving, my car has enough “juice” to last up to two weeks.

And the fact that I will never ever need to pull into a gas station to fill up my car with polluting gasoline makes my whole body tingle with joy!

22 thoughts on “Supercharged

1. writerravenclaw August 22, 2021 / 11:34 pm

My husband wants an electric car, maybe we can give it a try when we need a new one. They are the future.

2. Nope, Not Pam August 23, 2021 / 1:15 am

Great news, happy driving 🙂

3. mariamichaela August 23, 2021 / 1:58 am

Always good to get a professional to make sure all is well. Way to go on the car!

4. Lou Carreras August 23, 2021 / 7:05 am

Thanks for the update, many of us will be getting electric vehicles eventually. It’s nice to know more than the hype!

5. CARAMEL August 23, 2021 / 7:42 am

lol – I would not dare mess around with electrics myself!!
    It’s very interesting to learn more about electric cars. Since I moved to London, I rely on shank’s pony and occasionally the bus/tube.
    But Jack has to drive. The fleet of cars they use is now electric.

6. Marleen August 24, 2021 / 7:10 pm

That’s clever naming/branding — JuiceBox

7. leigha66 September 7, 2021 / 7:31 pm

Electricity and plumbing… best left to the professionals.